Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH VPN Beta
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH VPN Beta

ChronicChronic Member
edited April 2013 in General

http://www.ovh.fr/vpn/

Got an email about the OVH VPN beta, thoughts? Seems somewhat expensive in my opinion, especially with the speed limit and being restricted to one IP address (at least that's how I understood it).

Comments

• jhjh Member

Overpriced

• Interesting if they would require sending scanned ID for VPN customers.

• @rds100 said: Interesting if they would require sending scanned ID for VPN customers.

They required me to provide the same when I took SIP service from them (but not for dedicated server). I assume it's so they know you gave them real information and they can chase after you if you make a big bill and don't pay, for SIP you pay at the end of each contract period for your phone usage in that period. Looks like vpn works with similar billing.

• Just any run-of-the-mill VPS + SSHuttle works good enough for me.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@MikeIn thanks for the mention, just a few days away from some big changes! Likely to be an offer post soon with an announcement of new locations :).

• wdqwdq Member

+1 Much better prices, probably better performance.

• @liamwithers best of luck.

• user123user123 Member
    edited April 2013

You'd be much better off getting an MKS 2G or KS 2G, setting up your own VPN server, and splitting the cost with a couple people (admittedly, finding people to trust is difficult). It looks like on top of the limited speed, they also charge per user and make you commit to 1 year.

On the plan on the right, it seems weird that they cap the Internet<->server connection to 30Mbps, but cap the server<->user connection to 100Mbps

@MannDude said: SSHuttle

I read the dev page and am still not sure about how secure it is (i.e. is it more like a socks proxy or more like a VPN). Thoughts?

• Whoah, this sshuttle thing sounds interesting. Thanks, MannDude.

• @jhadley said: Overpriced

+1 those prices are crazy

• @user123 said: You'd be much better off getting an MKS 2G or KS 2G, setting up your own VPN server, and splitting the cost with a couple people (admittedly, finding people to trust is difficult). It looks like on top of the limited speed, they also charge per user and make you commit to 1 year.

VPN are for people that don't know how to set it up.

• Have to live in France, and agree a 1 year contract :/

• liviuliviu Member

too expensive. 10 mbps? hello 2013?! that's like a dial-up

• vedranvedran Veteran

You obviously don't remember dailup ...

• bnmklbnmkl Member

... Boobs slowly revealed, one line at a time.

• liviuliviu Member
    edited April 2013

@vedran
    I certainly do. I'm just referring to dial-up speeds to emphasize the difference between OVH's 10mbit/s speed compared to what you can get elsewhere nowadays.
    Maxing out a 100mbit/sec DSL with some of the well-established VPN providers is something you can do for less money.