Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

crucial ssd?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

crucial ssd?

support123support123 Member
edited April 2013 in General

Anyone using crucial ssd in production server?

Comments

• I wouldn't use them in a laptop, not to mention a server.

• Liquidweb use them in mixture like Intel or crucial

• Never used them in either, but I've used a OCZ Agility III one for home machines, and used 840 Pros and 830s for production.

• I've got a couple of Crucial m4's in my machine at home and I can't really fault them.

In our VPS nodes, we run Intel 520 series in RAID 10. I wouldn't trust the Crucial in a VPS node.

• AndreAndre Member

I thought the main reason most don't use Crucial SSD's because they have a lower write rate in comparison to the equivalent (cost) Intel's

• @CheapVPS

Intel 520's performing ok for you? After the 320 Series fuck up where it had that small firmware issue, I'm scared to go near them.

• @eastonch

Yes they're top notch. In the VPS nodes I only use the 240GBs in hardware RAID 10. In the dedicated boxes we have 240GBs, 120GBs and the 60GBs and I can't say we've had any complaints at all. Five year warranty is nice too.

• Crucial / Micron are huge. So why not? Crucial have a joint venture with Intel that makes some of the best NANDs. They are usually cheaper so lower performance is expected.

• eastoncheastonch Member
    edited April 2013

@CheapVPS That is very nice.

We're playing around with physical node costs, but the SSD's are being the biggest jump, I guess you can't get good quality, cheap.

@Concerto49 Crucial, the guy who make the RAM sticks, right? Like Crucial Ballistix?

• @eastonch

Cheers - if you are after any UK based servers with the Intel SSDs, we've got loads of stock and I can sort you out a deal. Just give me a shout.

• @CheapVPS I'll PM you, one sec.

• @eastonch said: @Concerto49 Crucial, the guy who make the RAM sticks, right? Like Crucial Ballistix?

Yes, they are one of the remaining memory makers too. Samsung, Crucial and Hynix.

• @rds100 said: I wouldn't use them in a laptop

Why not?

Since I've put a M4 in my ancient macbook, it is like a new machine.

• eastoncheastonch Member
    edited April 2013

@CONCERTO49

What about Kingston?

• @eastonch said: What about Kingston?

Kingston just repackages like the other players. Same as GSkill, Corsair etc.

• JacobJacob Member

intel 520s have 5 years warranty?

Grrrr! Samsung has 3 years..

• @Jacob

Yeh, I don't think anyone else does 5 years but I haven't looked properly tbh.

• I heard some problems with samsung 840 with raid in ramnode.Anyone have idea what is that?

• support123support123 Member
    edited April 2013

deleted

• @Jacob said: ntel 520s have 5 years warranty?

Grrrr! Samsung has 3 years..

It has 5 years warranty, but if you write more than X TB, the warranty is not valid.

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited April 2013

@ftpit - Crucial is basically Micron which has a joint venture with Intel. They make the bulk of all the SSD NAND that they use in their own drives, as well as their competitors. So yes, they are really good.