Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you prefer? Plain text or HTML
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you prefer? Plain text or HTML

terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

We've been battling this internally and I would like to ask you what you would prefer.

When receiving emails, being newsletters, welcome letters or server information. Do you prefer HTML or plain text?

HTML can look nice with formatting, layout and fonts. But can more easily be catched in a spam filter if it's formatted wrong. Plain text is simple, doesn't look as nice, but won't be tagged as spam so easily.

Form over function, or what do you think?

HTML or Plain text in emails
  1. HTML or Plain text in emails61 votes
    1. HTML
      37.70%
    2. Plain text
      62.30%

Comments

• ehabehab Member
    edited December 2017

do not battle html or text but fight and give us 15-20 euro servers again :)

Thanked by 1RIYAD
  • terrahostterrahost Member, Patron Provider

@ehab said:
    do not battle html or text but fight and give us 15-20 euro servers again :)

Thing is, when we're done fighting over email format, they might be back :)

Thanked by 1ehab
  • I learned from my extensive research that most average users say they prefer html email, but when actually tracked, they click more on text emails.

The argument for it is that html emails, however simple, still look like automatically generated and not personal.

If you are sending a transactional email, you can use either, because user wants to receive or click them anyway. If you are sending a marketing email or an announcement, you should consider text emails.

• Text email personally, easier to read without having to scroll a mile and be filled with other shite.

• In the past, I would say that HTML in emails was evil, no ifs or buts about it, but now I would allow for one exception: invoices or receipts (for on-line purchases) that you're not intended to reply to and that you typically can't even reply to.

• Text vs HTML for email is a 2000's discussion.

If you need to format your mail, send HTML. Just:

1. Get it right
    2. Don't embed/encode images or tracking.
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

I always prefer K.I.S.S.

So, text.

• LeeLee Veteran

Text, I can read, if the email is sent by a company/person I would want to hear from I will read it, don't try and lose me in colour and pictures, just get to the point, using text.

• Text, and would say the tech crowd probably prefer it too.

For the wider public, something pretty.

• Harzem said: when actually tracked, they click more on text emails.

I thought the idea (from the user's perspective) of choosing text is that opening it can't be tracked. Is there some tricky scheme that i don't know about? I always want text.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

terrahost said: server information

Please send at least this in plain text. Some of your customers' clients may be presenting mails in plain-text mode per default and some providers' mails can't be read without enabling HTML + external references, it seems. It doesn't happen too often but it's still too often. HTML is utterly unneeded and possibly counterproductive if you're just shipping account credentials/server information.

willie said: Is there some tricky scheme that i don't know about? I always want text.

Probably if you don't feel like you're handling spam you're more likely to open those (tracking) links suggested in your spam newsletters

• LeeLee Veteran

ricardo said: something pretty

Yeah, forgot about the millennials.

Thanked by 1brueggus
  • eMail == Text. I was born in the 70ies.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

One large embedded jpeg please

Thanked by 3terrahost WSS brueggus