Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Building a home lab.. Where to start? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Building a home lab.. Where to start?

2»

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Everyone's jumped to servers and power...the real question is...a lab for what?

Writing code? you only need a laptop.

Studying for your CCIE? you need a lot more network gear.

Learning orchestration? Get a ton of VMs.

Etc. OP, do you really need a home lab? Maybe you just need to download VirtualBox?

Thanked by 4MasonR WSS doughmanes emg
  • edited December 2017

raindog308 said: a lab for what?

e-Peen value of course. That is the only legitimate reason for a homelab in my mind. :)

• They make nice little atoms smaller than a damn external HD these days, and use about as much juice. With virtualization, it really isn't that big of deal to NOT have racks and wiring, anymore. Hell, thanks to LEDE and KVM resources, I've only had around 3 personal computers for the last decade.

• Lab is so 1990s. It's not like you're going to pick a girl up at a bar and go "ayeeee wanna see my lab"

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited December 2017

@doughmanes said:
    Lab is so 1990s. It's not like you're going to pick a girl up at a bar and go "ayeeee wanna see my lab"

"Hey gurl.. wanna see my overclocked equipment?"

Works every time.

Thanked by 1flatland_spider
  • @doughmanes said:
    Lab is so 1990s. It's not like you're going to pick a girl up at a bar and go "ayeeee wanna see my lab"

Wanna see how my CentaurHauls?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • emgemg Veteran

This thread reminded me of a problem I am working on: How to isolate IoT devices on a home LAN (Ethernet and WiFi)?

To avoid stealing this thread on home labs, I started a new thread about isolating devices on the LAN:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/132592/home-vlan-switches-and-aps-to-isolate-iot-devices

• Mate just colo with delimiter

• raindog308 said: Studying for your CCIE? you need a lot more network gear.

You actually don't need to buy "more" network gear. You can go ahead and download Cisco's images and run them on a VM and do the connections virtually. At least that what I did for my CCNA and CCNP.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • id get a cheap hosted 8+core server with 24+gb ram and kvm.
    so much less hassle and especially noise.