Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best, easy to deploy VPS provider with hourly billing?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best, easy to deploy VPS provider with hourly billing?

CdoeCdoe Member
edited December 2017 in General

Hello,
I'm looking for VPS with hourly billing. The main purpose of deploying them will be development and testing. I need centos/debian OS (various versions) with hourly billing.

My average work flow will be like:
1. Deploy VPS with unix
2. Install and test webapps for 2-3 hours
3. Purge and delete VPS

It would be nice if I could set desired RAM/HDD creation of VPS. CPU usage will be marginal - I need it for my college project - django and postgres.

Location doesn't matter. Is DigitalOcean still the way to go?

Comments

• If you don't need much cpu but you want more ram, Scaleway is cheaper. But the cpu (Atom c2750) is rather slow even though you get lots of cores

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

I can recommend Linode, but vmhaus is also great.

Thanked by 1vmhaus
  • vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited December 2017

@Cdoe All our plans are hourly billed. Billing starts when an instance is deployed and stops when its destroyed when you no longer need it.

Not forget to mention, we use only NVMe SSD which fits perfectly for your development work and testing.

Bonsai by VMHaus - https://bonsai.vmhaus.com- Starting at $0.0041/hour

• Is there anything cheaper than Cloudcone's $0.00359/hr?

• Bonsai by VMHaus - https://bonsai.vmhaus.com

Do you think you could put up a pricing and specs page that's viewable with making an account?

Thanked by 1vmhaus
    edited December 2017

@willie said:

Bonsai by VMHaus - https://bonsai.vmhaus.com

Do you think you could put up a pricing and specs page that's viewable with making an account?

Hey @willie, my bad for not mentioning it in the earlier post. Specs and pricing are available on www.vmhaus.com , Thanks

• Thanks, pretty good, especially if you branch out to more locations at some point (particularly US).

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @vmhaus said:
    @Cdoe All our plans are hourly billed. Billing starts when an instance is deployed and stops when its destroyed when you no longer need it.

Not forget to mention, we use only NVMe SSD which fits perfectly for your development work and testing.

Bonsai by VMHaus - https://bonsai.vmhaus.com- Starting at $0.0041/hour

Thanks, just tried it out. Awesome service for my purposes. VPS deployed within seconds, billed hourly, full 1gbit for downloading neccessary files and fast disc for testing big database backups. Exactly what I needed.

Thanked by 1vmhaus
  • IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

Our Public Cloud allows you to do everything listed and more:

-You can use templates to make your own one's.

-An API is available.

-You can deploy in five countries in case you also want to test response time.

-You can import / export VMs.

-You can import ISOs.

https://express.ikoula.com/en/public-cloud

Thanked by 1uptime
  • "easiest".. ironically Amazon comes to mind.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited December 2017

@Cdoe

Location doesn't matter. Is DigitalOcean still the way to go?

Digital Ocean probably makes sense in many cases especially if they still do "student pack" deal. Also often a fair chance many people may already be somewhat familiar with their system and API, so that translates to "easy" or at least less explaining to do if need to collaborate with others.

Glad to see you found @vmhaus - seems like a great choice especially for the use you describe. They have earned a reputation for providing fast machines and good service over the past year.

Some other hourly-billing that might be good to know about:

Lunanode have a nice system (good range of options and an API), locations in Canada and France. Reasonably priced for hourly billing, not the cheapest. I like them for flexible storage and snapshots, among other things. Solid service.

@Cloudcone has great price for hourly KVM in Los Angeles. I've been using them for a few months and like what I've seen so far. Their interface seems easy enough for easy things - though I do remember having to dig wround their documentation a bit to learn how to cancel an server (use the "destroy" option in their "rebuild instance" menu) - powering off a server bills at a reduced rate (like a dollar and change per month) while keeping the data and IP address ready to spin up again. (Lunanode also has similar reduced billing for powered-off instances).

There are quite a few other services one might look into (some for hourly billed dedicated or GPU) but Cloudcone and Lunanode are the first that came to mind that I've had recent good experience with.

Hope you have fun and do well with your projects!

@willie said:
    Thanks, pretty good, especially if you branch out to more locations at some point (particularly US).

US is just a step away :) Colocation space and T1 transits are basically done. We will be launching it soon together with tons of functionality added to Bonsai. Cheers!

Thanked by 3uptime v3ng jaden
  • @vmhaus said: US is just a step away

Care to share the location? Perhaps we can drool while we wait for launch day.

@nullnothere said:

@vmhaus said: US is just a step away

Care to share the location? Perhaps we can drool while we wait for launch day.

West is all we can say for now. East is in the works as well.

Thanked by 2nullnothere uptime
  • @vmhaus said: West is all we can say for now. East is in the works as well.

Mums the word eh? Any dates that you can share? Christmas presents for us then? Perhaps with some nice promos as well.

• omernaeemomernaeem Member
    edited January 2018

I am surprised no one mentioned Vultr. I also need VPSes temporarily, and really like how easily and quickly instances can be deployed and destroyed on Vultr.

The best part is that currently snapshots are free of cost, so it lets you do this:

1. Deploy an instance
    2. Setup your environment (install all the dependencies e.t.c.)
    3. Take Snapshot
    4. Play around
    5. Destroy

then later you can launch an instance with the saved snapshot, not needing to setup the environment again. Also you can save your progress and resume by deploying the snapshot

Aff link to https://www.vultr.com

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited January 2018
    • dev testing where data doesn't matter and cpu performance isn't priority = vultr and digitalocean - DO I like that it has no real limit on snapshots like vultr but snapshots are slow on DO and backups are done once a week. If geography matters then might lean to one more than the other i.e. Sydney = vultr is great
    • dev testing where data matters i.e. fast and frequent daily snapshot backups and faster and better cpu /disk performance to price ratio at the lower pricing end <=$40/month = linode
    • if you need >1-10Gbps network performance = vultr or linode

I use all 3, vultr, do and linode and extensively benchmark every server I ever use - some of the results posted at https://centminmod.com/benchmarks.html

• The new Hetzner product is impressive. I wonder if any hope is left for small providers in the long run :(.

• stdhellostdhello Member
    edited April 2018

@Mozilla said:
    Is there anything cheaper than Cloudcone's $0.00359/hr?

misleading affiliate link removed by moderator.