Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virmach must be joking, Don't know what Debian 9 iso is?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virmach must be joking, Don't know what Debian 9 iso is?

So I see the offer from Virmach for a KVM, they show Debian 7 x32 or x64 as the Debian iso choice. So I send them a quick email asking if Debian 9 x64 is an option for re-install under the Control panel and the reply from Tier 2 Support wants to know if I want a Custom ISO. Seriously???? What planet are these people on?
Does anybody know if Debian 9 is an option under the Virmach control panel? Tier 2 does not know!

Comments

• Debian 9 doesn't play nice with OpenVZ, which is the majority of their older sales. Their "Tier 2" is pretty much what most consider a "Frontline", but since they attract cheap assholes like us, they needed someone in front of that, too.

Either agree to the ISO, or PXE install it yourself.

• Debian 7 was release 4 years ago, that's the only choice shown on the initial order page. FYI, I had 'KVM' in my OP. I just want to know if I buy a KVM, can I re-install the Debian 9 under their control panel re-install options.

• Their latest "Reinstall" template under SolusVM is still jessie. You can still just load netboot and install 9 without issue, or do a dist-upgrade.

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • Fwiw I did a dist-upgrade to Debian 9 on the 4GB KVM and the network configuration got messed up so I couldn't ssh back into the machine. I reinstalled 8 and am still using it for now. Might try to upgrade again and figure out how to fix the network.

• @willie said:
    Fwiw I did a dist-upgrade to Debian 9 on the 4GB KVM and the network configuration got messed up so I couldn't ssh back into the machine. I reinstalled 8 and am still using it for now. Might try to upgrade again and figure out how to fix the network.

Systemd. Systemd never changes.

The way the interfaces are handled/renamed tends to get completely fucked. Are you eth0 or renamed under 8?

• Debian 9.1 is available to install from an ISO on their New York node that I am on.

In SolusVM, set the boot order to start from CDROM, them change the CDROM to Debian 9.1, then reboot using the button in SolusVM and install it via their VNC console.

Once you've installed it, unmount the CDROM and reboot using the button in SolusVM.

Thanked by 2Blazing rafanake
  • Buffalo is sold out, but if that is available in the windy city, I'll go for it. Thanks.
    I don't know why a hosting co as big as Virmach does not update the iso choices from the get go.
    And Systemd DOES change under the new kernel in Debian 9

• @techwiz44 said:
    Buffalo is sold out, but if that is available in the windy city, I'll go for it. Thanks.
    I don't know why a hosting co as big as Virmach does not update the iso choices from the get go.
    And Systemd DOES change under the new kernel in Debian 9

What size are you looking for? I have a couple Chicago 1G/10G units for cheaper-than-retail to benefit my "Laptops For Vets" project.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited December 2017

It's not that difficult to just install it by yourself when it isn't available.

• Be nice now cmon. You can ask an iso upload through their reinstall options.

• If you ticked no support it's gonna cost $440 for them to upload an ISO

• WSSWSS Member
    edited December 2017

@corbpie said:
    If you ticked no support it's gonna cost $440 for them to upload an ISO

I thought you weren't working for them anymore..

E: Just stuck 9.2 on a 1G/10G SATA Chicago location. Stock netinst build. Let me know if you want it.

• Until now I did not know Debian 9 was an isotope (ISO), I get to learn something new every day.

• Just did a netinst of 9.2. Bloopadoo!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2017

Yes, clear message here is that they don't know what an ISO is. It makes sense that someone who doesn't know what an ISO is might ask you if you want an ISO.

Rivaling the vultr thread for overreaction of the day.

• @jarland Really? I took it as just a generic snotty "oh look they don't even have ${last few months} of ${linux i wank to}.", myself.

• I thought Debian 9 was the next Star Trek series.

• corbpiecorbpie Member
    edited December 2017

@WSS said:

@corbpie said:

Im not, thats why its costing alot less for them to upload an iso

• @corbpie said:

@WSS said:

@corbpie said:

Im not, thats why its costing alot less for them to upload an iso

lol

You really must have done a good job, because although annoying, I was never pissed at VM support before. I can't stand most of these people.

• @willie said: ... and the network configuration got messed up ...

This is likely to be due to interface "renames" (from eth0 to ens1 or something like that).

Create an empty /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-setup-link.rules file and you should be good to go.

@WSS - this for once is not purely a systemd issue but is more a udev issue (so it does affect non-systemd Debian as well). (self-gloating) Of course I run Debian without some toxic init system deviants.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • Or, you know, just edit your grubcfg and append 'net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0' then run update-grub.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

We do have Debian 9 as an option on KVM packages. Some may not have it enabled everywhere (such as the service details page) but it will be on SolusVM. If it's not on your specific node, you can request it. You can also have us mount a custom ISO of your choice for you on KVM, if that doesn't offend you. The only reason our agent told you to make a custom request is because you specifically stared that Debian 9 was not available, on a guest ticket, so it may or may not be true based on your plan & where you're checking. L2 support won't have access to your service information if you do not log in to make a ticket.

For OpenVZ we pretty much just have the readily available templates on the SolusVM TDN.

• @nullnothere said:

@willie said: ... and the network configuration got messed up ...

This is likely to be due to interface "renames" (from eth0 to ens1 or something like that).

Create an empty /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-setup-link.rules file and you should be good to go.

Thanks for sharing!

I found the following article very useful, specially for Online.net dedicated with two network interfaces having a hard time with IPv6 connectivity.

Change network names to old “eth” on Ubuntu 16.04

http://www.itzgeek.com/how-tos/mini-howtos/change-default-network-name-ens33-to-old-eth0-on-ubuntu-16-04.html

Worked like a charm.

• It's just a coincidence that I also needed to reinstall Debian 9 today but it was not available in the list of OS so I opened a ticket. They said they can install it for me. I said go ahead. Within 10 minutes I got the reply from them that it is installed. Problem solved.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited December 2017

yesterday I setup a small virmach KVM (SSD512 in Piscataway) and ended up doing a dist-upgrade to 9.2 after installing Debian 8.2 from the available ISO. Upgrading after installing from ISO went smoothly as one would hope.

But my first pass at setting up - prior to doing the ISO install - was borked after reboot (after dist-upgrade from the Debian 7 template, which was the only Debian template I was able to find on that control panel) . Actually the first upgrade from Debian 7 to 8 rebooted fine - but upgrading from 8 to 9 ran into whatever problem I didn't care to investigate (probably something mentioned already in this thread).

Installing via ISO worked out just fine though. I understand that the templates can be tricky so as long as there is a path to get to where I want to go via ISO I'll prefer that to dealing with some potentially hit-or-miss template anyway.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @uptime said:
    yesterday I setup a small virmach KVM (SSD512 in Piscataway) and ended up doing a dist-upgrade to 9.2 after installing Debian 8.2 from the available ISO. Upgrading after installing from ISO went smoothly as one would hope.

But my first pass at setting up - prior to doing the ISO install - was borked after reboot (after dist-upgrade from the Debian 7 template, which was the only Debian template I was able to find on that control panel) . Actually the first upgrade from Debian 7 to 8 rebooted fine - but upgrading from 8 to 9 ran into whatever problem I didn't care to investigate (probably something mentioned already in this thread).

Installing via ISO worked out just fine though. I understand that the templates can be tricky so as long as there is a path to get to where I want to go via ISO I'll prefer that to dealing with some potentially hit-or-miss template anyway.

Yeah, going via ISO is the way to go, if possible. Personally, I never choose a template if I can choose a ISO.

To my knowledge, there aren't massive complaints on Debian lists about problems with upgrading from Debian 8 to Debian 9, so I assume that templates may introduce issues of their own in this respect.

Thanked by 1uptime