Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any storage VPS with user accessible snapshots?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any storage VPS with user accessible snapshots?

Wondering if any storage VPS provider provides user-accessible snapshots of the VPS? Or is this simply too costly to provide?

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

storage VPS + snapshots. I don't think even cociu would be crazy enough to do that!

• NetCup does.. but you need to make them yourself, and downloading them costs roughly €1 every time you want a local copy.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

How much are you willing to pay per snapshot? This might be something I'd be willing to add to our Storage VPS plans but you're essentially asking for double the disk space so expect to pay for it.

• Lunanode has nice snapshot setup. Mountable drives are $0.03 / GB per month - I think offline snapshots beyond the first 20 GB compressed are billed at same rate - so could make sense for modest amount of storage, say up to a few hundred GB. It's a flexible system with hourly billing, and one of the most user-friendly snapshot systems I've found.

• Thanks everyone.

@KuJoe said:
    How much are you willing to pay per snapshot? This might be something I'd be willing to add to our Storage VPS plans but you're essentially asking for double the disk space so expect to pay for it.

I would be willing to pay about 20-25% premium over the base price.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@codedivine said:
    Thanks everyone.

@KuJoe said:

I would be willing to pay about 20-25% premium over the base price.

So you'd pay an additional 25% for 200% more storage? :(

Thanked by 1WSWD
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@MikeA said:
    storage VPS + snapshots. I don't think even cociu would be crazy enough to do that!

There's a FSCK joke in here somewhere.

Francisco

• Not a VPS but Hetzner provides snapshots on their storage boxes:

https://www.hetzner.com/storage-box

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @beagle said:
    Not a VPS but Hetzner provides snapshots on their storage boxes:

https://www.hetzner.com/storage-box

Was told that it is still part of your quota and not a separate free snapshot.

• @WSS said:
    NetCup does.. but you need to make them yourself, and downloading them costs roughly €1 every time you want a local copy.

https://www.netcup.de/vserver/vstorage.php#features

no , according to its website , storage line doesn't have snapshot

• What do you wan't to use the snapshots for?

If you're talking about important data, storage isn't
    that expensive these days. If you're talking about stuff
    you'd download at any time again, I would not hold any backup of it.

• @qtwrk said:

They're not automatic, but you can still create your own within CCP. The only thing I dislike about how NetCup handles its' KVMs- it shuts down the service and takes a snapshot of the entire filesystem.

• @WSS said:

@qtwrk said:

They're not automatic, but you can still create your own within CCP. The only thing I dislike about how NetCup handles its' KVMs- it shuts down the service and takes a snapshot of the entire filesystem.

Well, this is THE best snapshot I have ever come across, I have no yet seen any provider with better snapshot than netcup.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@codevine @beagle @caracal If you look at our vServer page and under "Service", you'll see "Snapshots". https://www.hetzner.com/virtual-server Depending on which vServer, you have, you can have between 1-6 snapshots included in the price. --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 2uptime beagle
  • @qtwrk said:

@WSS said:

@qtwrk said:

Well, this is THE best snapshot I have ever come across, I have no yet seen any provider with better snapshot than netcup.

for their storage line there is no manual snapshot allowed...

you can buy backups aka exports for snapshots at 1,50€ as @WSS mentioned. I did not use that feature so far... but afaik that really is a one time thing for one snapshot to be taken and downloaded, nothing permanent.

I could buy this on the storage line, yet I most likely can't use it, as I can't do a snapshot in the first place... maybe I need to try for once.

• @Falzo said:
    you can buy backups aka exports for snapshots at 1,50€ as @WSS mentioned. I did not use that feature so far... but afaik that really is a one time thing for one snapshot to be taken and downloaded, nothing permanent.

The first download is included, AFAIK. Also, uploading stuff to their system via FTP is not what I'd consider very secure, but it works just fine for throwing random ISOs around. I'd want something a little more secure for reimaging, however.