Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr Bare Metal Servers - hourly billing available - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr Bare Metal Servers - hourly billing available

2»

Comments

• vmhaus said: E3-1270v6, 32GB RAM 10GE with 5TB bandwidth in Singapore with NTT, GTT & PCCW, hourly billed.

Unless that's a different network than you get with their $5/month VPS instance in the same location, it does sound like you're paying an awful lot for just the E3 hardware. Even though the $5/month VPS comes with just 1TB, you could get 5 of them, or for that matter get their $80/month VPS that comes with 5TB bw, 16gb ram, and 6 vcores.

• hopefully, they can compete with scaleway.

• @Makkesk8 said:
    hopefully, they can compete with scaleway.

No one can compete with Scaleway, they are on their own "special" league.

For starters, their SAN is not a dedicated local disk, so is slow as shit. Secondly, their "powerhouse" servers are a joke, and expensive.

I would personally rate Scaleway way lower than Linode, Vultr, and DigitalOcean.

In fact, only because DigitalOcean has the network effect and was one of the first one to offer $5 vps with SSD, I will rate them as marginally the best.

If it wasn't for DigitalOcean, then Linode wouldn't have gotten their shit together. However, Vultr and Linode are considered by many as better than DigitalOcean with 2x the specs for the price(hardware , ram).

• @IAlwaysBeCoding said:

@Makkesk8 said:
    hopefully, they can compete with scaleway.

No one can compete with Scaleway, they are on their own "special" league.

For starters, their SAN is not a dedicated local disk, so is slow as shit. Secondly, their "powerhouse" servers are a joke, and expensive.

I would personally rate Scaleway way lower than Linode, Vultr, and DigitalOcean.

In fact, only because DigitalOcean has the network effect and was one of the first one to offer $5 vps with SSD, I will rate them as marginally the best.

If it wasn't for DigitalOcean, then Linode wouldn't have gotten their shit together. However, Vultr and Linode are considered by many as better than DigitalOcean with 2x the specs for the price(hardware , ram).

You are sucked up in the DO is for devs bshit hype. The only thing DO has over vultr is the hipster crowd

• LeeLee Veteran

corbpie said: You are sucked up in the DO is for devs bshit hype. The only thing DO has over vultr is the hipster crowd

DO works, it's reliable and a better feature set (at the moment) than all others. That is not hype, just fact.

IAlwaysBeCoding said: If it wasn't for DigitalOcean, then Linode wouldn't have gotten their shit together.

That's true, Linode had it good for many years, they backtracked at least twice on their intended plans when they realised all the ground they were loosing to DO initially.

IAlwaysBeCoding said: Vultr and Linode are considered by many as better than DigitalOcean with 2x the specs for the price(hardware , ram).

Twice the spec does not make a service better.

Thanked by 1IAlwaysBeCoding
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited December 2017

corbpie said: Laugh at Vultr but their core product is better than digital ocean

Genuinely curious why you'd say that. I've used both and like both, but I wouldn't say Vultr's "core product" is better.

Vultr has features DO doesn't, and DO has features DO doesn't. The significance of these features (custom ISOs, DDOS protection, storage-oriented nodes, bare metal, load balancers, different kinds of VMs, able to PM a guy who works there, etc.) depends on you. Vultr is in some location DO isn't, but the reverse is true as well.

But the "core product" seems pretty identical to me: standardized API-accessible SSD-based VMs with a fixed bandwidth allocation. Both providers are fighting mightily to differentiate with features, but what's the major, better difference in the core?

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited December 2017

Digital Ocean used to be the best for spamming until they got a few /20 listed.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • LeeLee Veteran

raindog308 said: but what's the major, better difference in the core?

Vultr doesn't need raid?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Neoon said:
    300$ for a Intel Xeon E3....

it's quad premium Intel Xeon E3, it's so premium you will not believe it!

• When Vultr launched in Singapore, I've like 3-4 hypervisor downtimes within a week.

DigitalOcean, I just find that their network seems to be slow.

And as of Linode, so far so good. But their advertised Network In / Network Out is a little ridiculous.

• @Lee said:

Neoon said: This is how you define "cheap", I pay in average 13EUR per month for one dedicated server.

I am not talking about atom servers, 16gig+ 6k CPU Benchmark+.

No, that is how you define cheap, many others look at it that way also, I don't. I consider 50-75 EUR per month cheap if it meets all my requirements.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts too. Everyone can go ahead and grab a machine at OVH/SYS/Kimsufi and get something stupidly cheap but not everyone wants this.

The fact they're doing hourly billed bare metal is really quite cool and certainly great for those users who might only need the server for 2-3 days a month.

There will always be cheaper options around but they're not necessarily the better options.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • IThinkUFailed said: those users who might only need the server for 2-3 days a month.

Do you think it will be in stock when they need it?

• @willie said:

IThinkUFailed said: those users who might only need the server for 2-3 days a month.

Do you think it will be in stock when they need it?

I'd definitely hope so and I think if they do this on any type of scale then it should definitely be ready to go whenever required.

• IThinkUFailed said:

I'd definitely hope so and I think if they do this on any type of scale then it should definitely be ready to go whenever required.

I ask that because it's expensive to let powerful hardware sit around idle. Scaleway dedis are often/usually out of stock, and I've seen situations where big EC2 instances are out of stock. EC2 and GCP might now have alleviated that problem through the spot market, where you pay less for preemptable instances. I wonder how that would work for a dedi.

• @willie said:

IThinkUFailed said:

I ask that because it's expensive to let powerful hardware sit around idle. Scaleway dedis are often/usually out of stock, and I've seen situations where big EC2 instances are out of stock. EC2 and GCP might now have alleviated that problem through the spot market, where you pay less for preemptable instances. I wonder how that would work for a dedi.

I'm sure it makes financial sense to them. They're likely part of Supermicro's MicroCloud range meaning 8 or 12 servers per 3U and these servers are quite power efficient.

• @raindog308 said:

corbpie said: Laugh at Vultr but their core product is better than digital ocean

Genuinely curious why you'd say that. I've used both and like both, but I wouldn't say Vultr's "core product" is better.

Vultr has features DO doesn't, and DO has features DO doesn't. The significance of these features (custom ISOs, DDOS protection, storage-oriented nodes, bare metal, load balancers, different kinds of VMs, able to PM a guy who works there, etc.) depends on you. Vultr is in some location DO isn't, but the reverse is true as well.

But the "core product" seems pretty identical to me: standardized API-accessible SSD-based VMs with a fixed bandwidth allocation. Both providers are fighting mightily to differentiate with features, but what's the major, better difference in the core?

More options in sizes, Alot more locations, better perfomance and then it comes down to similar features so quite frankly i dont know why youd bother with DO? Their marketing and partnership with Github are pulling in Macbook using Starbucks drinking indie devs to an overrated business

• IThinkUFailed said:

I'm sure it makes financial sense to them.

Demand rises and falls depending on the time of month and whatever else. I'm sure that at least at the busiest times, they want all their hardware to be collecting revenue instead of idling, but that's exactly when the on-demand user will be hosed.

Imagine an airline pricing its seats so that its flights never get full, or a hotel making sure they always have vacancies, just so they can accomodate customers who need the service on demand and are willing to pay for it. It just doesn't happen as far as I've seen. So I think there will be times when those servers are out of stock.

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited December 2017

I'd like to point out that short term rentals are always more expensive than long term rentals, in every rent-seeking industry. And a quality brand doesn't have to sell at commodity prices.

And @DaveA , having already built a successful and growing business, probably doesn't need a lecture on how to do so. And unless you are a hobbyist German entomologist there is probably nothing profound you amateurs can contribute to the topic.

• jiggawattz said: I'd like to point out that short term rentals are always more expensive than long term rentals, in every rent-seeking industry.

Sure, for example Scaleway is about 1.5x cheaper monthly than hourly. 1.5x difference seems fine and I do use hourly Scaleways sometimes. I couldn't see paying a 10x difference (Vultr hourly vs Hetzner monthly) except possibly for a one-off experiment.

• More locations added.

Thanked by 2Aidan eva2000
  • v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

@Lee said:

corbpie said: You are sucked up in the DO is for devs bshit hype. The only thing DO has over vultr is the hipster crowd

DO works, it's reliable and a better feature set (at the moment) than all others. That is not hype, just fact.

IAlwaysBeCoding said: If it wasn't for DigitalOcean, then Linode wouldn't have gotten their shit together.

That's true, Linode had it good for many years, they backtracked at least twice on their intended plans when they realised all the ground they were loosing to DO initially.

IAlwaysBeCoding said: Vultr and Linode are considered by many as better than DigitalOcean with 2x the specs for the price(hardware , ram).

Don't know what you mean, Linode is running great.
    My experiences with Linode are clearly better than with Digitalocean/ Vultr.

• LeeLee Veteran

v3ng said: Don't know what you mean, Linode is running great. My experiences with Linode are clearly better than with Digitalocean/ Vultr.

I have no clue what you are replying to. If your experiences are better then that is fine, I never said they are bad, they have had many issues over the last couple of years, some including I would say issues that should never have happened.

DO more than Vultr has given Linode a serious kick in the ass, that can only be a good thing, however, they are still slower to progress and develop than DO or Vultr.

All of their actions in the last few years have been entirely reactive.

Thanked by 1hanoi
  • How about some GPU instances, Vultr?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@willie said:
    How about some GPU instances, Vultr?

Feeling like mining something ;-)?

• chxchx Member
    edited May 2018

They dropped the price to $120 / mo for E3 1270v6, 32GB, 2 x 240GB SSD. Sure, OVH US gives you same CPU and RAM and much more and better SSD (2x450GB NVMe) for the same price -- but vultr supports spinning up more servers via an API and I can't find a cheaper provider offering this. OVH support just told me it's possible but they won't tell me how and anyways, they don't support it.

• I can't really think of a situation where someone would require a bare metal sever for only a few hours, when performance for a similarly priced VPS is probably superior?

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited May 2018

@Lee said:

Does DO even have custom ISOs yet?

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

hostnoob said: I can't really think of a situation where someone would require a bare metal sever for only a few hours, when performance for a similarly priced VPS is probably superior?

When a host might suspend the VPS for high CPU activity - that's what I've used hourly billed servers for in the past.