Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interest in Windows VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Interest in Windows VPS?

concerto49concerto49 Member
edited April 2013 in General

Hi, setting up KVM VPS right now, but that's boring!

Would there be interest in Windows VPS and if so which version:

2008 R2

Min requirements for 2012 is 512MB RAM, 32GB HDD.

We'd be looking at KVM 512MB RAM 35GB HDD for $7 including license. There will be plans with more RAM too.

Any interest in this? It will be first available in Texas and later LA.

Comments

• NeoNeo Banned

For 7$ with license sure....

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Hell yeah!

• @Neo said: For 7$ with license sure....

+1 wow

• jhjh Member

I imagine at that price you'll have a lot of takers

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

I would get one for sure.

• Absolutely for that price...

• Or more ram if we provide our own lic? Win2012

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

How?

• @Hassan said: How?

We need the license for our own stuff.

@suapbrudda said: Or more ram if we provide our own lic? Win2012

Possibly.

• @user123 said: @Neo said: For 7$ with license sure....

+1 wow

+1000

BTW, I already your client

• that will be great..

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

So much Bitcoin will be run...

• jeffjeff Member
    edited April 2013

me too... 2012, I need more RAM, still learning Powershell.

• @jeff said: me too... 2012, I need more RAM, still learning Powershell.

There will be plans with more RAM.

@Nick_A said: So much Bitcoin will be run...

It doesn't work with CPU anyway. I tried. I run it on my graphics cards at home though :p

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@concerto49 said: It doesn't work with CPU anyway. I tried. I run it on my graphics cards at home though :p

Doesn't work or doesn't work well? Because I still catch people trying, among other really annoying abuses of KVM on Windows.

• @Nick_A said: Doesn't work or doesn't work well? Because I still catch people trying, among other really annoying abuses of KVM on Windows.

Well people try anything. Oh there are abusers; Windows or not. It doesn't work as in it doesn't generate any useful results. You might get 0.00000000000000000001 BTC. It's not going to be worth the time and effort (and cost of the VPS). You won't get anything close to $7/month back.

• CPU hashrates are extremely low, dwarfed by even wimpy GPU mining which is soon to be spanked by ASIC miners as they become more available.

• wroxwrox Member

Oh yes! 2012.

• marcmmarcm Member

@concerto49 - Been there, done that, so enjoy the abuse. We will never again support Windows.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited April 2013

@marcm and there is abuse on Linux, point being?

Mind explaining what happened?

• marcmmarcm Member

@concerto49 said: Mind explaining what happened?

If I would it would be a TL;DR type post that I don't feel like writing and probably no one would feel like reading. In a nutshell there was allot of abuse. If you really have to do this, then just dedicate a node to Windows. I recommend you use KVM over Xen HVM, RAID + BBU and don't allocate all the available cores to every VPS. And don't be shocked when you'll find your customers doing illegal activities and using your VPS servers as a fence, trying to shield themselves from any possible consequences. Best of luck!

• @marcm said: If you really have to do this, then just dedicate a node to Windows. I recommend you use KVM over Xen HVM, RAID + BBU and don't allocate all the available cores to every VPS.

We never give all the cores to most VPS plans, especially not 512MB. Always run on RAID + BBU. It's a standard. Definitely KVM.

@marcm said: And don't be shocked when you'll find your customers doing illegal activities and using your VPS servers as a fence, trying to shield themselves from any possible consequences.

They do it now - Windows or not - is there a difference?

@marcm said: In a nutshell there was allot of abuse.

In a nutshell it happens on Linux too. This isn't $7/2GB land anyway :p -- that's worse.

@marcm said: Best of luck!

Thanks. Yeah the full node will be Windows, otherwise it'd be a waste of the license.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I've just started looking at Windows 2K8 at work, so it'd be nice to have something to mess around with for a month or two without fear of crapping on a critical service. Definitely interested.

• Oh sorry you've got a site windows licence. Then forget my comment about the BYO lic.
    I'd still be interested, you mentioned there would be more RAM available which would be nice.

Marcm, glad you're sharing your experiences, but not everyone running a win box is a scriptkiddie. Many of us just want a dev box to play with from work/home/anywhere.
    There are plenty of people abusing linux boxes too, just look at the number of people complaining even here about getting their a/c suspended for various activities.

You monitor, you shutdown/ban those abusing their box.

• @suapbrudda said: There are plenty of people abusing linux boxes too, just look at the number of people complaining even here about getting their a/c suspended for various activities.

You monitor, you shutdown/ban those abusing their box.

Yeah, we've had plenty of people abusing on Linux and I'm sure most hosts do.

@suapbrudda said: Oh sorry you've got a site windows licence. Then forget my comment about the BYO lic.

I'd still be interested, you mentioned there would be more RAM available which would be nice.

Yes, it's a Windows DC license per CPU. I've double checked and double confirmed it. It's legal. This isn't something dodgy. As said, I need the license for a few other things hence the discounted price.

There will be plans with more RAM for sure. Up to 4GB at least. It's just outside of LEB price.

Ok, look I need to run Sharepoint :p

• Sharepoint cries

• @concerto49 said: including license.

I think this will be a great selling point. Nice package, Concerto. :)

@concerto49 said: This isn't $7/2GB land anyway :p -- that's worse.

I think we do pretty well for this. :)

• XeiXei Member

I'm all for more competition in the low end Win VPS market. :)

• @PhilND said: I think this will be a great selling point. Nice package, Concerto. :)

Thanks.

@PhilND said: I think we do pretty well for this. :)

I'm not saying you're doing bad. Was simply referring to the possible amount of abuse.

@Xei said: I'm all for more competition in the low end Win VPS market. :)

We don't have autoboot sadly :p

• jeffjeff Member

Does anyone recognize the value in a huge ecosystem? Running app support on a Windows VPS will have benefits, not the best OS, but obviously an opportunity.