Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Name Servers: Registrar or Web Host? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Name Servers: Registrar or Web Host?

2»

Comments

• bitswitchbitswitch Member
    edited December 2017

@sureiam said:
    Give you some raw numbers for the week of Nov. 12th-19th Name Silo DNS (ns1.dnsowl.com) had 840 outages with 21 hr 28 min downtime, which comes out to 87.2222% uptime for that week. Additionally they had an average ping of 150ms from US based servers. That's unacceptable levels of downtime for a DNS service and not great ping from US.

Your posting actually made me curious and want to check for myself too. Of course I cannot comment on November as I have been monitoring it only since recently, but I couldnt confirm such major outages so far.

It does seem that their nine servers (three for each of their three nameservers) are not all up all the time and there are some intermittent timeouts (most recently their ns3 server at 70.x.x.x) but the array's availability seems to be pretty fine. I havent checked latency though.

• WSS said: Wat? Generally you get a static IP for any service and just use that.

Which is what I assumed, until I found out the server's IP changed without notification to me or even to my hosting reseller.

In conclusion, it seems like 3rd party (or self-hosted) DNS offers the most flexibility and features (propagation time, CDN, some DDOS protection), then the registrar (not having to re-edit zones, just update IP if changing host), and lastly the hosting provider if simplicity is more important (zones created automatically, just update name server at registrar).

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience and especially the "why" behind their suggestions.

• @depricated said:

WSS said: Wat? Generally you get a static IP for any service and just use that.

Which is what I assumed, until I found out the server's IP changed without notification to me or even to my hosting reseller.

That's not normal.

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited December 2017

depricated said: Which is what I assumed, until I found out the server's IP changed without notification to me or even to my hosting reseller.

WSS said: That's not normal.

Could be pure trolling. If this is not, this is indeed not normal and I'd advise you to quickly change host for a more serious one @depricated

• @datanoise said:

depricated said: Which is what I assumed, until I found out the server's IP changed without notification to me or even to my hosting reseller.

WSS said: That's not normal.

Could be pure trolling. If this is not, this is indeed not normal and I'd advise you to quickly change host for a more serious one @depricated

I would assume that it was, but it's such a lackluster effort that I think most wouldn't have even noticed the response.

• depricateddepricated Member
    edited December 2017

Glad it's not normal. And no, not trolling.

The server's main IP remained the same, but from what I was told, the shared dedicated IP used by client accounts was changed, possibly to put all of my reseller's clients on one shared IP. Details aside, it broke my domain name for a while.

• It does happen a lot (a sample of 300, say 10 or so, which I'd say is a lot)...

An uptime monitor would work well enough, or for important stuff, a host with its own IP space. The ones without their own IPs or the real low end market are the ones that switch, but inexplicably without notifying users.

TBH it seems like a decent 'trick' for overselling when half your customers are pointing to the wrong server.

• @depricated said:
    The server's main IP remained the same, but from what I was told, the shared dedicated IP used by client accounts was changed, possibly to put all of my reseller's clients on one shared IP. Details aside, it broke my domain name for a while.

You need to find a new host for your stuff. They're incompetent.

• ricardo said: An uptime monitor would work well enough, or for important stuff, a host with its own IP space.

I've been using an uptime monitor to test the reliability of a couple of hosts. One has been perfect so far, the other (with the IP change issue) has had a couple of hiccups (15 + 3 min downtime over past 2 weeks).

I'm not hosting any real site yet. Just test sites, and lots of learning for now.

WSS said: You need to find a new host for your stuff. They're incompetent.

Aww, no need to be nasty, especially since you're with that host too. :P

• @depricated said:

WSS said: You need to find a new host for your stuff. They're incompetent.

Aww, no need to be nasty, especially since you're with that host too. :P

God forbid it was something other than $2/yr throwaway..

• WSS said: God forbid it was something other than $2/yr throwaway..

God forbade.

• Sam_NHSam_NH Member
    edited December 2017

If you want something simple then you should go for registrar one but if you want to handle the zones yourself then ofcourse the host one as you have full access over it.

• @bitswitch said:

@sureiam said:
    Give you some raw numbers for the week of Nov. 12th-19th Name Silo DNS (ns1.dnsowl.com) had 840 outages with 21 hr 28 min downtime, which comes out to 87.2222% uptime for that week. Additionally they had an average ping of 150ms from US based servers. That's unacceptable levels of downtime for a DNS service and not great ping from US.

Your posting actually made me curious and want to check for myself too. Of course I cannot comment on November as I have been monitoring it only since recently, but I couldnt confirm such major outages so far.

It does seem that their nine servers (three for each of their three nameservers) are not all up all the time and there are some intermittent timeouts (most recently their ns3 server at 70.x.x.x) but the array's availability seems to be pretty fine. I havent checked latency though.

They probably have better uptime when looking at the full array... I'm only looking at ns1.dnsowl.com

• I pay DnsMadeEasy $30/yr because they are very competent at their job.

I barely break 100k reqs/mo out of their 5M quota.

Plus, I have the option to pay $5/yr to add a 'failover DNS record' later.

It's one less (very critical) thing to worry about when things start acting up.

• @sureiam said:
    They probably have better uptime when looking at the full array... I'm only looking at ns1.dnsowl.com

That could explain a lot :). I have stopped the monitoring by now, but from what I could tell over the short period is that one or two out of their nine server cluster regularly do seem to be unreachable (which could explain your observations) but their overall DNS setup appears to work just fine.