Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EDIS reliability issues - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EDIS reliability issues

Comments

• @rm_ said: I have news for you, nope, it's not like that.

Obviously ;) Some issues are out of their control and some aren't.. I'm not saying every cheap host has problems. Can't really complain about a few reboots when I only pay 3 EUR per month.

• ChanChan Member

I don't really mind if my servers reboots itself from time to time as everything restarts itself at boot anyway. I do mind when they deadlock and I have to force a hard reset from the control panel though, so far I've only experienced this once in my past year with EDIS but I think this should be improved.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited April 2013

First off, please do not take this as a bash towards Edis, but until recently their node in Spain was almost unusable. Constant reboots, network drop outs, sluggish system responses. However, part of that is my fault as its a yearly deal and I haven't found the time yet to bother with tickets, so maybe the node I am on is abused. It is still useful for what I needed it for at the moment, network traces and throughput tests (read: downloading test files 100mb in size from other places to test the speed to this location). I can not say I would ever put a site on that server or expect it to actually be able to serve anything reliably, it just hasn't been stable enough.

My KVM in Switzerland however is rock solid and works without a hic-up, so I guess its just the luck of the draw and getting on a server without all the noisy neighbors.

my 2 cents.

Cheers.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2013

@rm_ said: So IRC servers, not even clients or bouncers, are only 25% of DDoS targets

No, it's mainly Bots and mainly Efnet it seems, not unlikely IRC spammers rather than real users however.
    And no, we don't plan to ban any IRC activity except servers (which are actually banned in most locations anyway), don't worry.

I once watched #politics on Efnet also, seen someone say something idiotic - he ping timeouts, i see his host (149.*), seconds later Chicago went nearly entirely down, so there certainly are real users getting ddosd by others...

EDIT:
    The shutdown KVMs after reboot of the node (no automatic start) should be fixed already on most nodes.

@TheLinuxBug said: First off, please do not take this as a bash towards Edis, but until recently their node in Spain was almost unusable

Yea, the ISP in Spain is... not very intelligent, but there is no replacement (trust me, we tried hard - even sending a spanish guy to call up local ISPs - with no luck), we now have more nodes and uplink capacity in Spain (and Poland, and France next week, and Switzerland) so these should be better now (along with less lockups as the vps are better spread out).

Austria gets another 10G link and a new router end of April which will solve past DDoS issues.

Sweden is... Sweden, network outages are mainly not caused by us but by other portlane customers getting attacked (Portlane hosts a lot of 'questionable' content, VPNs and IRC).
    Inevitable (this causes the now rather prevalent lag and ping spikes) for now, i guess Portlane will add additional capacity in the future.

• ChanChan Member
    edited April 2013

@William said: EDIT:

The shutdown KVMs after reboot of the node (no automatic start) should be fixed already on most nodes.

good to know thanks

+1 for transparency

• @William
    I have other stuff with Portlane directly, i have yet to experience any outages in the last 4 months or so. I call semi-bullshit.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Thanks @William for being honest and thorough once again.
    Edis may not be the best but never been disappointed me so far in more than a year, if not 2.

• @blergh_ said: I have other stuff with Portlane directly, i have yet to experience any outages in the last 4 months or so. I call semi-bullshit.

Likely depends on network segment and location (most Portlane customers are in Pionen, we are in Nacka which likely has less transport capacity to Pionen) and from what i would guess they run a single 10GE link per rack for shared colo.

• @William do you allow IRC servers on other locations besides Austria?

• No, but people still run them.

• cloromorphocloromorpho Member
    edited April 2013

@William If i run some little ircd leafs on other locations would you get mad and suspend my boxes?? xD

• Yes, if noticed.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2013

I haven't had any problems with the VPS exactly, but it does show huge bandwidth for some reason, even though the VPS is idling currently. Like 900 KB/s (summing incoming+outgoing and based on ifconfig), and no extra TCP connections. I tried checking the source with iftop (presumably UDP?), but it reports that root doesn't have permission to monitor :/

Edit: contact form isn't working for me and I don't see ticket system

• I don't see ticket system

there isn't one. email support at edis.at

@perennate they do not run OVZ, but vserver, you see all node's stats.
    Unless you are on KVM, but from what you describe, i think not.

• Htop on vservers, awesome view!

• @William said: Yes, if noticed.

Why only Austria?

Maybe pipes in other locations are not that "fat".

• @cloromorpho said: Why only Austria?

Because we have control here at attacks mainly.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2013

@Maounique said: Unless you are on KVM, but from what you describe, i think not.

I have no idea what I'm on, but I got reply from them and you're right, thanks. Guess that explains why iftop doesn't work. Although not sure how I'm supposed to make sure I'm using too much bandwidth then.

I didn't know "vserver" (or I guess Linux-VServer?) was another virtualization software.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

@perennate said: I didn't know "vserver" (or I guess Linux-VServer?) was another virtualization software.

Only crazy Austrians use it.

Not even Australians use it!

• @Oliver said: Only crazy Austrians use it.

And the Germans too i believe. Mostly nobody else.

• Strange people.. in any other country no one will know what is a VServer or Root-Server either

• imperioimperio Member
    edited April 2013

@superpilesos said: VServer or Root-Server

Maybe in soviet russia too :D

• Mostly nobody else.

DreamHost uses it. RoseHosting has been offering Linux v-server since 2002.

• liviuliviu Member

1year+ Edis customer here, hosting several virtual servers with them. I can share a few thoughts on reliability
    KVM server in Graz used to go offline a few times a week. No major problem since they moved to Wien.
    VRS server in UK is quite stable, though speed is not that great.
    KVM in Switzerland in very stable and fast. I guess nobody needs VPSes in Switzerland so I might be one of the few customers there.
    KVM in Chicago was between bad and average, I had to move my stuff to Ramnode due to repeated downtimes every now and then (no problem with Ramnode so far)

Satisfied overall

I find vserver satisfactory, it depends on what you need to run on it, OVZ has been patched heavily to add some functionality that hardly 20% of users need, the rest of 80% will do better with vserver.
    It should also be more stable in theory, in practice never tested on such a heavy server as a regular node for hosting VPSes, but in my lab never crashed (that was some years ago, tho).

• @liviu said: I guess nobody needs VPSes in Switzerland so I might be one of the few customers there.

Switzerland is the most popular location even...

• liviuliviu Member

oh, ok

• Those who don't like linux virtual server containers (vserver) should probably checkout this one here => waveride.at

Cheers,
    Gerhard @ EDIS