Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aruba Changes: DC4(FR) and DC5(DE) now at 1€ - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Aruba Changes: DC4(FR) and DC5(DE) now at 1€

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited December 2017

@Maounique said:
    I am an aruba fan and had no idea, but again, I dread the moments when I have to login and do anything in there.

I'm still sitting on the fence with respect to Aruba. I've heard so much about how scary their control panel is, at the same time, €1/month is a bargain!

• @geekalot said:
    Does anyone know if you can use gPXE/iPXE during boot?
    (so you can install whatever you want)

There's a thread from September about this:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/125729/have-trouble-installing-arch-to-linux-arubacloud-vps

The thread is rather tortuous, and the OP never followed up on whether he/she finally managed to or not.

Thanked by 2geekalot uptime
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited December 2017

@angstrom said:

@Maounique said:
    I am an aruba fan and had no idea, but again, I dread the moments when I have to login and do anything in there.

I'm still sitting on the fence with respect to Aruba. I've heard so much about how scary their control panel is, at the same time, $1/month is a bargain!

You shouldn't wait and think. Last time the german location was available for €1 it's been only for a short time.

also the controlpanel isn't that bad, at least if you're not a total idiot. even I figured how to use it! ;-)
    it's one for billing/top-up/account management and another one for the servers which are grouped by the DC they are in. you can even switch from billing to server management without new login.

this also shows, that they won't touch prices for existing instances which is the fear that raised again after their price changes to 2,79€ back in november - my services in UK and DE still show 1€ p.m. while the renewal date already jumped to Jan 2nd ...

• @angstrom said:

@geekalot said:
    Does anyone know if you can use gPXE/iPXE during boot?
    (so you can install whatever you want)

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/125729/have-trouble-installing-arch-to-linux-arubacloud-vps

The thread is rather tortuous, and the OP never followed up on whether he/she finally managed to or not.

Thanks for that @angstrom .... tortuous thread indeed. It looks like it is do-able but likely not worth the pain for me, based on the performance he/she experienced once they got it going.

Reminds me of what I went through to get LUKS + dropbear + busybox going on a Kidéchire just for Online.net to pull the plug. :( Aruba seems to be even more unstable about how long this product offering/price will be around.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • geekalot said: Aruba seems to be even more unstable about how long this product offering/price will be around.

while people said that from the very beginning, their initial 1€ UK instances yet are still recurring at that 1€ a month... after about two years now!

Thanked by 2geekalot vimalware
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Falzo said: while people said that from the very beginning, their initial 1€ UK instances yet are still recurring at that 1€ a month... after about two years now!

The fact DE reintroduced the 1 Eur price, means the apocalypse is not coming yet. Okay, UK is not going to see it back probably, so I will hold on to those instances no matter what, but I am considering adding up more in DE, the network is good, from what i can see,, to both romania and italy.

• Maounique said: but I am considering adding up more in DE,

so did I, there always room on the broom for one more instance ;-)

Thanked by 1Ympker
    edited December 2017

@geekalot said: @angstrom said:

@geekalot said: Does anyone know if you can use gPXE/iPXE during boot? (so you can install whatever you want)

Thanks for that @angstrom .... tortuous thread indeed. It looks like it is do-able but likely not worth the pain for me, based on the performance he/she experienced once they got it going.

Yeah, based on that thread, I definitely wouldn't try. If I sign up for the €1/month plan, I will simply use one of their templates as intended.

geekalot said: Reminds me of what I went through to get LUKS + dropbear + busybox going on a Kidéchire just for Online.net to pull the plug. :( Aruba seems to be even more unstable about how long this product offering/price will be around.

As others have already remarked, Aruba is probably going to remain, at least for the near future. There are whispers of subsidies from the Italian government, but I don't know whether this is true.

• hahanashahanas Member
    edited December 2017

No longer available the 1.00 euro vps. I try to spent my 2 euros voucher but all DC have the price of 2.79 Euro ... What happened????

• I have already added 2.00 euros in my credit. But service say to be paid and she want credit card or PayPal to pay ??? How can pay with only credits from my account ???
  • [Falzo said]there always room on the broom for one more instance ;-)

+1

• @hahanas said:
    No longer available the 1.00 euro vps. I try to spent my 2 euros voucher but all DC have the price of 2.79 Euro ... What happened????

Not here, I am still seeing both France and Germany as 1€ to create a new server.

Imgur

• @hahanas said:

• I have already added 2.00 euros in my credit. But service say to be paid and she want credit card or PayPal to pay ??? How can pay with only credits from my account ???

are you logged in with the correct control panel?

it should look pretty much like this:

showing your credits on top and allowing you to select the DC (DE1 in screenshot) and spawn a new instance via the "Create New Cloud Server" button...

the "start now" process from their webpage will only take you to registering and topping up credit at all. that's not the order-process for the VMs itself.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

So many Aruba lovers... I had no idea. I've already expressed my opinion on this company in the past.

angstrom said: There are whispers of subsidies from the Italian government, but I don't know whether this is true.

Not "subsidies", contracts. They blended in with the public administration to a point they are part of their relevant infrastructure.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • It still there 2.79 euro in DC5 DE1

edited December 2017

Well, since I would be a new customer, I requested a coupon. I made the request a couple of hours ago, but perhaps it has to be manually verified. I won't order before receiving the coupon, but perhaps the €1/month plan will be out of stock by then. We'll see.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited December 2017

@hahanas

I've addressed this in a different thread. The promotions generally apply to international customers only and/or people accessing an "International customer" account.

You are not using an "International customer" account.

EDIT: reference to the past thread (read the follow-ups too)

• @mfs said:
    @hahanas

I've addressed this in a different thread. The promotions generally apply to international customers only and/or people accessing an "International customer" account.

You are not using an "International customer" account.

You're certain about that? It would seem a bit unfair. Who counts as "international"? Non-Italian?

• mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited December 2017

angstrom said: You're certain about that?

Absolutely, see the thread referenced in the post above yours. In their homeland prices on ALL VPSes are doubled, and the 1€ promotion never existed. Same applies in different regions where they established a presence*. Check yourself on e.g. the Italian portal, and match the price tags with the same products on the International portal

unfair

Dumping strategy, sure it sucks for people living in their region or accessing through their homeland portal who aren't aware of it.

Who counts as "international"? Non-Italian?

They don't check nationality and they don't check address. As long as you use the "International Customers" portal, you could live in Arezzo for all they care and still manage to get the 1€+VAT thing. OTOH, if you live in Canada and use the "Italian Customer" portal, you won't get the promotion.

They try to redirect to your region's portal during signup/top-up. Past that, there are no additional checks.

*EDIT small correction: they currently seem to apply doubled prices only on the Italian portal

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • hahanashahanas Member
    edited December 2017

The link of international control panel??? Is shit logic ...... I think to stay away from Aruba...

edited December 2017

@mfs said: Same applies in different regions where they established a presence.

You mean the different regions in Italy, right? For example, the French site ( https://www.arubacloud.fr/ ) and the Czech site ( https://www.forpsicloud.cz/ ) list the €1/month price, and Aruba is present both in France and in the Czech Republic.

Anyway, not so nice towards people using the Italian site.

Edit: I saw your edit only after posting this comment.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

@hahanas connect using https://www.arubacloud.com/ and not https://cloud.it , double check that in the top-right corner "Country: International" is selected during the top-up/signup process. As the other user, Vancete, noted in the other thread, top-ups you performed through e.g. the Italian portal won't be available through the International portal. Other users have "topped-up" wrong "portals" and saw their funds "disappearing"

logic

you're Italian, you have to pay for Falzo's box too

I think to stay away from Aruba

it's never too late

angstrom said: You mean the different regions in Italy, right?

No, I meant countries, but I've seen right now that they're performing this dumping price all over the portals except the Italian one currently, see my EDIT in my previous reply

Thanked by 1hahanas
  • andrew1995andrew1995 Member
    edited December 2017

Thanks for sharing this (Aruba). I guess I will be enjoying it. :)

• @mfs said: you're Italian, you have to pay for Falzo's box too

I think to stay away from Aruba

it's never too late

I feel less enthusiastic about signing up now. I'll decide once (if) my coupon arrives.

• mfs said: you have to pay for Falzo's box too

actually that's not so bad anyway :-) mostly I am a friendly guy who'll be grateful for any help in getting cheap deals - regardless of the location of any supportive neighbour...

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @Falzo said:

@angstrom said:

@Maounique said:

I'm still sitting on the fence with respect to Aruba. I've heard so much about how scary their control panel is, at the same time, $1/month is a bargain!

You shouldn't wait and think. Last time the german location was available for €1 it's been only for a short time.

also the controlpanel isn't that bad, at least if you're not a total idiot. even I figured how to use it! ;-)
    it's one for billing/top-up/account management and another one for the servers which are grouped by the DC they are in. you can even switch from billing to server management without new login.

this also shows, that they won't touch prices for existing instances which is the fear that raised again after their price changes to 2,79€ back in november - my services in UK and DE still show 1€ p.m. while the renewal date already jumped to Jan 2nd ...

I don't think prices will go up either. The computing power and storage is getting cheaper and cheaper as time passes. Therefore prices can not go up for same specs, or they will loose future clients because of poor management.

In my opinion they try to load servers and bandwidth as much as possible, creating load with this 1 euro offer on locations where this is possible. Soon they will open DC3 in Italy, and I guess that location will have 1 euro offer too, so they can advertise it (benchmarks) and load it with clients.

• @angstrom said:
    Well, since I would be a new customer, I requested a coupon. I made the request a couple of hours ago, but perhaps it has to be manually verified. I won't order before receiving the coupon, but perhaps the €1/month plan will be out of stock by then. We'll see.

I requested their coupon/voucher 2 or 3 times about a year ago and never got any answer. Then I just topped my account up with some euros and haven't had any regrets.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

Falzo said: mostly I am a friendly guy who'll be grateful for any help in getting cheap deals - regardless of the location of any supportive neighbour...

hey I am too and I supported some of your coupons as well ^^ pls gib deals

dumping policies aren't exactly a new thing, yet I've seen quite a few people falling for the portal thing already, adding funds where they weren't supposed to. I'm still amazed that Aruba is considered in any measure trustworthy, reliable, efficient or performant but I get that 99% of the people out there know them only because of the 1€ VPS thing

default said: I don't think prices will go up either. The computing power and storage is getting cheaper and cheaper as time passes.

These are pure dumping prices, the computing power/storage cost don't really come into the equation and whilst customer retention (aka: "promotions are recurring") may come into play until they haven't established a serious dominance in the EU market (still a pretty long way to go), no one would complain for higher prices for those specs on recurring monthly payments - hell, in their homeland customers paid five (5) time (plus VAT) the price for the entry-level product we're discussing. Those were paying too much, these are paying too little. In the long term things have to change for both. There's an anticipation of this trend with these "2.79€" price tags, applied both to their international and internal market (still deprived of any official 1€ promotion).

In my opinion they try to load servers and bandwidth as much as possible, creating load with this 1 euro offer on locations where this is possible.

Sure.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @mli said:

@angstrom said:

I requested their coupon/voucher 2 or 3 times about a year ago and never got any answer. Then I just topped my account up with some euros and haven't had any regrets.

Oh, wait, are you saying that I might not get my coupon?! I was really looking forward to it, a coupon to try the €1/month plan for two months free before making this my main VPS! What a disappointment. I'm still hoping that Aruba will text me at any moment with the crucial coupon code, I keep looking at my phone, I don't know whether I'll be able to sleep tonight ... :-(

Thanked by 1hahanas
  • Ok, control panel is not solusvm but it's not a spaceship, There are a dozen of buttons.

Thanked by 2Falzo hahanas
  • @angstrom said:
    Oh, wait, are you saying that I might not get my coupon?! I was really looking forward to it, a coupon to try the €1/month plan for two months free before making this my main VPS! What a disappointment. I'm still hoping that Aruba will text me at any moment with the crucial coupon code, I keep looking at my phone, I don't know whether I'll be able to sleep tonight ... :-(

Be strong, buddy. Don't get all melty over this.