Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

rectified.net - let the drama begin
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

rectified.net - let the drama begin

rustyhalorustyhalo Member
edited December 2017 in Outages

rectified.net is down for about 12 hours along with the VPS and control panel.

I ordered their VPS yesterday and they did not provision it nor did they respond to my ticket. Also I did not got any email about this outage. I did a bit of search and found this facebook post and possible email notification sent earlier about the acquisition by SharkTech.

and

The acquisition notice was found on a Chinese forum post -- without the actual email, If you got one, it would be nice if you could post it.

I also checked my PayPal receipt, the seller has already been changed to SharkTech Inc.

@rectified could you please elaborate on what's going on?

Comments

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

sharktech is holding their servers as hostage

Thanked by 1rustyhalo
  • nullnullnullnull Member
    edited December 2017

Hi xxx,

Thank you for your business at rectified.net. We're writing to inform you that Rectified Networks has been acquired by Sharktech.net

VPS customers will now be customers of ChangeIP.com. Your VPS will stay exactly as it is, as we are taking over the entire VPS nodes. You can keep your current price.

Shared hosting, reseller hosting, and domain name customers will now be customers of ChangeIP.com. Your services will stay exactly as it is, as we are taking over the infrastructure that your services are hosted on. You can keep your current price.

VPN customers will be contacted regarding migrating to ChangeIP.com. You can keep your price and the service quality will be the same, but there will be changes to what IPs you connect to. You can keep your current price.

Dedicated server customers in Sharktech locations (Los Angeles, Chicago, Denver, and Amsterdam) will be migrated to Sharktech.net directly. Because we already host your server, there will be no service interruption. You can keep your current price.

Dedicated server customers in non-Sharktech locations will be put in touch with the server company Rectified was using to host your service. You can work out arrangements with them directly and we're happy to help wherever possible. Alternatively, if you'd like to stay with us by migrating to one of our facilities, we're happy to offer a quote for that as well.

Billing Methods
    Sharktech.net and ChangeIP.com happily accept Bitcoin, PayPal, and credit cards. If this is your payment method, you can continue using the same payment method. If your payment method is Perfect Money or WebMoney, please be advised that we will no longer be accepting those payment methods. Please contact us directly at [email protected] if you have any questions or special needs anticipated over the next 30 days.

We look forward to continue serving you as we always have, just directly now instead of through a third party. If you have any questions about this process, please contact us at [email protected] and we're happy to help.

Thanks,
    Sharktech.net
    ChangeIP.com

AND THEN

Hi,

Early today rectified.net decided to back out of the company ownership
    transfer. Please contact Rectified.net for any inquiries regarding your
    service there. Alternatively, you can sign up for service with us here:

https://www.sharktech.net/
    https://www.changeip.com/

Regards,
    Sharktech

Thanked by 1rustyhalo
  • I've just lost my vps with zxhost, and now lost another one with rectified. FML

edited December 2017

Sharktech , You did not sign non compete agreement and did hostile servers takeover . shame if it is all true !

• rustyhalorustyhalo Member
    edited December 2017

hostdare said:

I think this link is broken.

Spdy said: I've just lost my vps with zxhost, and now lost another one with rectified. FML

I just placed my order yesterday, FML.

Thanked by 1priest
    edited December 2017

rustyhalo said: I think this link is broken.

• ucxoucxo Member
    edited December 2017

@hostdare said:

rustyhalo said: I think this link is broken.

link opens for me fine

404 here as well. Maybe it's only visible for members of the Provider group (and Vanilla incorrectly sends 404 instead of 403)?

oh private forums .. sorry

• @hostdare said:
    oh private forums .. sorry

From what I've read here, someone seems to have done a major boo-boo. I think you (or anyone else involved) would do us a favour by telling us who we should avoid from now on (I can't tell if that would be Rectified, Shark, or both…)

both for now ... until you as a customer know more details .

I am not involved , sorry .

• @Spdy said:
    I've just lost my vps with zxhost, and now lost another one with rectified. FML

Maybe it's time to become a LEB 'conservative'.

I've had my share of new (now dead) hosts that I jumped on enthusiasticaly : Shardhost, BoltVM, Safehousecloud

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Makes me sad.

Francisco

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Francisco said: Makes me sad.

Me too, Sharktech does look dubious given past threads, and if only for the name... They seem to be bragging about it. If they also stole the servers...

edited December 2017

@Maounique said:

Me too, Sharktech does look dubious given past threads, and if only for the name... They seem to be bragging about it. If they also stole the servers...

Meme's about cardboard & duct-tape RAID's aside, the time I've talked to Sharktech Tim has been positive. He had been quite helpful in what I was looking to accomplish and did his best to get me workable pricing. I've not done any final dealings with him, but pre-sales has been good.

I'm just sad that the solution to the problem is "You're not allowed to operate, period". His servers are taken offline even though he's probably paying something for it, I doubt he's going to get colocation in 3+ locations with IP's and bandwidth as an employee bonus.

China appears to be a very large part of Sharktech's market share, but it's bound to scare a lot of people away, even if they aren't employees.

Tim should've just told him he had to pick one or the other, not "You're giving me your clients, period". That's taking food out of their mouth.

I dunno, it's just ugly for everyone, especially if this gets posted in any place Tim can't ask nicely for things to be hidden.

Francisco

Francisco said: His servers are taken offline

I think they are also confiscated as the guy did colo too, not only rent. If that is true it would be outright theft.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

The OP needs to lawyer up if he can't afford that, then he needs to find out where 'tim' lives and buy a plane ticket instead.

Thanked by 1ChrisMiller
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2017

@Maounique said:

Francisco said: His servers are taken offline

I think they are also confiscated as the guy did colo too, not only rent. If that is true it would be outright theft.

Lots of providers that offer colo, even big and well known ones, have lines in their terms stating they can seize hardware under many circumstances. Bad for a client who doesn't pay, good for johnny who is browsing eBay and Craigslist that day.

MikeA said: Lots of providers that offer colo, even big and well known ones, have lines in their terms stating they can seize hardware under many circumstances.

This does not make theft any better, you cannot just put a line in the contract to break the law. But it remains to be seen what is the truth.
    I am pretty sure SharkTech will regret this if what transpired so far is true at least 50%. The ;possible gain of business and hardware is greatly outweighed by the negative publicity and possibly criminal prosecution.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited December 2017

Is it only the non-native english speaker in me, or does "rectified.net" really not make much sense as a company name? Doesn't something have to be fucked up before getting rectified? I understand that company names in the hosting industry often don't make sense, but still...
    Maybe I should establish a company called "Formerly fucked up, but currently working, networks" or so.

• ucxoucxo Member
    edited December 2017

@Amitz said:
    Doesn't something have to be fucked up before getting rectified?

A rectifier is an electrical device that converts alternating current (AC), which periodically reverses direction, to direct current (DC), which flows in only one direction.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Amitz said: Is it only the non-native english speaker in me, or does "rectified.net" really not make much sense as a company name?

No it is not just you, it does not sit well, just like the words dungarees and flannel.

Although I suppose you could look at it as 'put right' or even 'no issues' which given this thread is ironic.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • I had a VPS with them a few months and just didn't get that good feeling. Glad I went with it.

• @Maounique said:

I thought pretty much the same (and I would certainly not buy from or colocate with someone calling himself sharktech).

While it might be entertaining to find out more, my personal verdict is: Stay away from sharktech and don't trust rectified; they might be nice guys but they are also guys who seem to get fucked easily. Absolutely not what I want in a provider.

Kill the shark.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Would like to hear the other side of the story going down here, because this is some seriously juicy drama if it is as we've been told.

• Welp..

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

Amitz said: Is it only the non-native english speaker in me, or does "rectified.net" really not make much sense as a company name?

Interestingly enough, the first thing that crosses my mind is the Latin and English word "rectum"

but maybe it's me staying on LET for too much

The second thing that crosses my mind is a database of formerly convicted innocent people

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited December 2017

mfs said: the first thing that crosses my mind is the Latin and English word "rectum"

Same here, I just did not want to mention it to avoid being called a sick anal-focussed weirdo again... ;-)

• @Amitz said:

mfs said: the first thing that crosses my mind is the Latin and English word "rectum"

Same here, I just did not want to mention it to avoid being called a sick anal-focussed weirdo again... ;-)

I have the most flawless heinie around here.

HMMMMmmmmm.

• LeeLee Veteran

Amitz said: avoid being called a sick anal-focussed weirdo

It's assumed by all anyway, no need to mention the obvious.

Thanked by 1WSS

"He broke a non compete he never signed, that's grounds for me to take all his gear" isn't grounds in any contract, no matter how assbackwards California is.

ucxo said: A rectifier is an electrical device that converts alternating current (AC), which periodically reverses direction, to direct current (DC), which flows in only one direction.

Francisco