Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High capacity storage VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

High capacity storage VPS

HerrMaulwurfHerrMaulwurf Member
edited April 2013 in General

Good evening!

First I have to tell you that my question has nothing to do with low end servers, bit I trust in your experience to help me with my problem.

I am looking for a storage VPS or dedicated with a storage capacity of at least 5 TB; I guess the amount of space needed may grow to up to 10 TB.

Except the huge amount of storage, all other specs of the servers are not important. I will run the server as a private backup server with a FTP server and maybe a small password protected web server for easy access. I will be the only user who has access to the server, so you don't have to worry about DMCA and other copyright stuff.

Conclusion:
HDD: min. 5 TB
RAM: 1GB
Traffic: ~2TB/month
1 IPv4 needed, IPv6 is optional

Is there any provider out there which can provide this for a reasonable price?

Best regards
HerrMaulwurf

Comments

• JacobJacob Member
    edited April 2013

I think a dedicated server is more suited, what is your budget?

Also with dedicated you can have multiple GbE connections for pretty cheap.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2013

I can do

5TB Raid 5
    1GB RAM
    1Gbps
    Dallas Tx
    1 ipv4
    5 ipv6
    VPS

$120 p/m Scalable to however much you need (per Tb cost lowers as you buy more).

Just pm me if you want it.

• Your best bet for affortable backup space is Amazon Glacier

• HerrMaulwurfHerrMaulwurf Member
    edited April 2013

The "problem" with a dedicated server is that it has features I don't need. All servers with that amount of storage come with 8GB+ RAM, so I guess a VPS is more flexible.

I don't have an exact budget yet because I cannot estimate the costs of such a solution.

@gsrdgrdghd
    Amazon Glacier looks quite interesting for this use case. I have to check weather it's possible to transfer files via FTP.

• And what is your expected budget?

• Budget should be not more than 100 Euro/month. But in this case (because it's for me only and no need for 99,99% availability): the cheaper the better :)

• jhjh Member

@HerrMaulwurf said: Amazon Glacier looks quite interesting for this use case. I have to check weather it's possible to transfer files via FTP.

It's not. With S3 you can do things like S3FS but I'm pretty sure with Glacier you have to use the API.

@jhadley Don't forget the transfer and bandwidth fees. And 2-3 hour wait to get your data.

• FTP can be realized with Cloudgates.com if I read correctly. 2 to 3 hours wait is no problem, all of the files I am currently working with are on my local machine.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

3x Kimsufi 2TB specials, 6 TB of space for 30 EUR/mo :)
    Sadly that special does not run anymore.

• @HerrMaulwurf to use AWS Glacier you'll need to use their API or push files to S3 and setup rules to allow S3 to store content in Glacier. There are 3rd parties that will allow you to use FTP with S3 for a price.

• jhjh Member
    edited April 2013

@tvjames
    That would be rather expensive for backups

• Hetzner is within your budget. Your budget is too low unfortunately.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Bandwidth to get back the data only. And you cannot delete what you put for a while.
    I could do 5 TB now, but I am afraid wont be possible to grow to 10.
    I suggest you setup iscsi so you can mount it and use the files directly from there if your connection permits. You should also be reasonably close.
    I have this setup and work only on that server, including when at home. It saves the hassle of having everything in more places, and the risk also. This is from my dedicated server with RDP :)
    I suggest you buy a cheap server 1 U stuff it with the drives and colo some place close. I pay 24 Eur for my colo with 5 TB on 1 gbps and 350 W. Besides no IPv6 and one powerdown for an unknown reason, (perhaps they changed some fuse :P) It's been running nicely since last summer.

• How about you simply buy the hard drives and backup that way?

If not, have a nosey at Constant's S3-compatible storage, they're (owned by?) in the Choopa datacentre, so the bandwidth there is pretty awesome.
    I've used it myself, no complaints at all!

• @jhadley said: That would be rather expensive for backups

Using a 3rd party service? Yes, indeed it would.

If he could remove the requirement for FTP, then pushing to a RRS bucket on S3 with glacier policy could be cost effective. You only pay for incoming and provided you dont need to restore more than 5% of what is stored in glacier it's cost effective.

• That whole thing is way more complicated and even more expensive than I thought.

It was obviously quite - well - dumb from me to think "They are throwing servers with 2x 1TB away for 40 euro/month @OVH, so 5TB should not be that expensive" :D

Thanks for all answers. I think I will look for some cloud storage providers like Constant's.

• BenediktBenedikt Member
    edited April 2013

Rent as many Hetzner EX4 as you need.

• how about : http://dreamhost.com/cloud/dreamobjects/ dreamobjects,they are located in LA and they have a promo for 3cents/GB. 3cents transfer out.

• jhjh Member

@ElliotJ said: How about you simply buy the hard drives and backup that way?

He's right - this is probably the cheapest way if you can afford the upfront. You can get some Synology/QNAP boxes pretty cheap.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited April 2013

HDD: 5 TB RAID60 with HW RAID + BBU
    RAM: 1GB
    Traffic: 2TB/month @ Gigabit
    1 IPv4

$135/month custom plan

Additional storage @ $0.03/GB.

contact us for custom plan: https://www.cloudshards.com/contact.php

normal plans @ https://www.cloudshards.com/backupvpshosting.php

• komokomo Member
    edited April 2013

@HerrMaulwurf

Leaseweb with 8TB for €84 or 12TB for €104 (without tax)

Unlimited 100mbit, up to 12TB, 4GB RAM. I have one and it has great speed.

http://www.leaseweb.com/en/dedicated-servers/100mbps-unmetered-servers/configurator/4973
    http://www.leaseweb.com/en/dedicated-servers/100mbps-unmetered-servers/configurator/5012

• Wholesale internet has a dedicated server that can be configured with multiple drive in the price range the OP is looking for:
    https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/cart/?id=199

Main Hard Drive 2TB Hard Drive $ 15.00
    2nd Hard Drive 2TB Hard Drive $ 20.00
    3rd Hard Drive 2TB Hard Drive $ 20.00
    4th Hard Drive 2TB Hard Drive $ 20.00
    RAM 8GB RAM (Default) $ 0.00
    IPv4 /29 IPs (Default) $ 0.00
    Operating System CentOS 64-bit $ 0.00
    Bandwidth 100Mbit Unmetered $ 0.00
    Control Panel None $ 0.00

• @acrusfront: What he doesn't want though is to pay for the "extra RAM" and all that snazzy things.

Basically, with his budget and price-range its probably best to just get a dedicated server than a VPS with that big of a hard drive, but hey its his choice.

• @HalfEatenPie

That dedicated server I linked to is within his 100 Euro monthly budget. Other then the leaseweb offers, I don't think he will find anything much cheaper regardless of the Ram size and other snazzy things...

• @acrusfront said: That dedicated server I linked to is within his 100 Euro monthly budget. Other then the leaseweb offers, I don't think he will find anything much cheaper regardless of the Ram size and other snazzy things...

Yeah I know, I was just making the statement that for some reason he wants a VPS instead of a Dedicated server but that a dedicated server is probably the best way to go regardless.

@HalfEatenPie It seems he wants to scale with ease, at least what I thought, which a VPS I would assume be easier. He was offered it seems two VPS quotes within his budget as well.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited April 2013

@Fliphost said: It seems he wants to scale with ease, at least what I thought, which a VPS I would assume be easier. He was offered it seems two VPS quotes within his budget as well.

True. Ok yeah totally blanked the scalability part. Regardless it's a pretty tall order for a single VPS (in my opinion).

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Your best bet for affortable backup space is Amazon Glacier

240$ a month JUST for their bandie