Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EDIS reliability issues
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EDIS reliability issues

jon617jon617 Veteran
edited April 2013 in Reviews

Am I the only person having reliability issues with EDIS recently? I have 12 KVM VPSs with them, just checked all logs, and I have a total of 10 server reboots in the last 4 weeks. That averages out to about 2.5 of my 12 VPSs reboot each week. Even if I had only one VPS with them, the reboot frequency would average out to one reboot every 12 weeks for each VPS. Maybe I have high standards, but 3 month average uptime seems a bit unimpressive.

Sometimes when my VPSs go down, they don't reboot by themselves. I have to go into the Edis control panel and issue a hard reset.

One of my VPSs has been down for 5 hours. Tried hard reset and forcing boot from the panel, but no luck. Sent them an email 5 hours ago and waiting for response. Granted it is 6:30am Sunday in Austria now and this issue is happening in the middle of the night, but I would hope a company the size of Edis would have someone watching for "server is down" emails in the middle of the night.

Are these issues just me, or are others having similar experiences?

Comments

• Did you try asking edis about this issue before posting on let?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I never had a KVM from them, just vserver and is doing great.
    This kind of instability for kvm is concerning, tho, in my view should be as stable as Xen.
    OTOH, for the price, a reboot in 12 weeks is not the end of the world, not coming back after, tho, that's at least bad.

• jon617jon617 Veteran

@skirtTight said: Did you try asking edis about this issue before posting on let?

Should I have done more than sending them email?

• @jon617 said: Should I have done more than sending them email?

Oh yes, ofcourse, wait for a reply.

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited April 2013

@Maounique said: OTOH, for the price, a reboot in 12 weeks is not the end of the world, not coming back after, tho, that's at least bad.

I agree, an average 3 month uptime per VPS is not that bad, but it's not great either. Actually, I should have checked this first...but I have 3 KVM VPSs in the USA, actually they also seem to average about 2-3 months between reboots, so I guess my issue with Edis is probably not abnormal for a KVM. So let me clarify after thought...I only notice this because sometimes the Edis VPSs go down for a while (more than a few minutes at a time), and sometimes don't come back online without manual intervention. I'm not ripping them, service has generally been great especially for the price, just wondering if others have seen similar KVMs not coming back online.

@Maounique said: This kind of instability for kvm is concerning, tho, in my view should be as stable as Xen.

In theory, I too would think KVM would be more stable. I have one Xen VPS elsewhere which had a year of uptime before I rebooted it to update the kernel.

• <3 EDIS

• My Edis KVM reboots every few weeks as well, but it comes right back up. I don't plan on renewing though.

• maybe @William can help?

xD

• 10 different servers rebooted in a month sounds like they are rolling some updates and rebooting the nodes after that? Anyway, probably only they can tell.

• I've seen the same behavior with one I have with them as well.

• Linux bridges have the bad behaviour to lock-up at DDoS... so you can guess that the cause of most problems is...

(And thus the overall downtime is higher with us as we allow IRC and pretty much anything else in most locations, which sometimes can (and do) cause DDoS attacks)

• jon617jon617 Veteran

Now I know why many providers disallow IRC.

• krokro Member

I notice the panel doing qwerky shit as well

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited April 2013

@Voss said: Perhaps it is time to re-consider that policy?

Perhaps not, I run 2 IRCds with them and they work fine, they don't attract unwanted attention.

Disallow IRC on business lines, allow on budget but take down customers that get involved in attacks, either receiving or sending. They want to do s**t, fine, get a protected service.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

From my experience with a dozen of providers all allowing IRC (otherwise I don't buy), IRC is not the problem.

• @rm_ said: From my experience with a dozen of providers all allowing IRC (otherwise I don't buy), IRC is not the problem.

For us it is.
    DDoS attacks are currently (did some portscans and had customers tell me what was attacked) spreaded around this:
    25% IRC servers
    25% VPN/Proxy providers
    25% Camfrog
    20% Unknown/80
    5% DNS/UDP

@Maounique said: Disallow IRC on business lines

huh? We don't have any separation - we only have one sort of packages and that will likely not be changed.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited April 2013

Linux bridges have the bad behaviour to lock-up at DDoS... so you can guess that the cause of most problems is...

The only reboot I've had on any of my 6 Edis KVMs in the past several months was Iceland this week due to a DDoS attack on someone on the node but the downtime was minimal. By contrast the OVH Roubaix VPS (which will not be renewed) I'm testing rebooted twice during the past week. and the ChicagoVPS Atlanta VPS I canceled this week (and switched to RamNode which is much more stable) had rebooted twice in the week before I canceled it.

Are these issues just me, or are others having similar experiences?

Best way to find out if it's just you or the entire node is to check the status page
    http://status.edis.at/

this kind of instability for kvm is concerning, tho, in my view should be as stable as Xen.

The longest uptimes and most stable (excluding HA cloud solutions like CloudVPS) of any of my VPS's aren't KVM or Xen boxes...it's the openvz boxes at IntoVPS where 200+ or even 300+ days of uptime are the norm. IntoVPS's openvz uptime magic is probably due in part to the fact that their pricing makes them unattractive to DDos targets/abusers like HF kiddies, VPN and IRC users, etc.

• OpenVZ is rock stable, also under DDoS or packetstorms - as it uses no bridge :)
    I'm not sure about Xen but i'd guess they use an internal bridge which is better engineered than the normal Linux one.
    KVM is, well, KVM.

The only really stable bare metal virtualization seems to be VMWare, which runs stable under any amount of packets/mbit.

• @DomainBop said: The only reboot I've had on any of my 6 Edis KVMs in the past several months was Iceland this week due to a DDoS attack on someone on the node but the downtime was minimal. By contrast the OVH Roubaix VPS (which will not be renewed) I'm testing rebooted twice during the past week. and the ChicagoVPS Atlanta VPS I canceled this week (and switched to RamNode which is much more stable) had rebooted twice in the week before I canceled it.

I think you might be comparing apples to oranges, OVH is known to be the hotbed for all the skids and all that, and ChicagoVPS is just...cheap.

On the other hand, EDIS (may be due to the fact that they are charging in Euros), sounds more like a premium provider from what I can tell, yes, I know they are still LEB and yes I know they have some good promotions, but in general I don't think they charge rock-bottom prices and instead tried to make sure they have a good reputation around.

• @William said: The only really stable bare metal virtualization seems to be VMWare, which runs stable under any amount of packets/mbit.

That's why they are the best.

OpenVZ is stable with .18 kernel.
    Our Xen/KVM never rebooted, nor locked up. OVZ did more times than I have fingers at both hands. True, they are also the most servers, but still, in total KVM+Xen are about half the number of OVZ and should have rebooted at least 5 times to keep the proportion.
    We do have DDoS too, but maybe not so much and is quickly nulled.
    On the other hand, yeah, IRC/Camfrog/Gameservers are here too the main problem.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited April 2013

OpenVZ is stable with .18 kernel.

see below (from an IntoVPS openvz box)

uptime

20:19:49 up 179 days, 10:44, 0 users, load average: 0.07, 0.02, 0.00

uname -a

Linux xxx.xxx.xxx 2.6.32-308.el5.028stab099.3 #1 SMP Wed Mar 7 15:56:00 MSK 2012 i686 GNU/Linux

On the other hand, yeah, IRC/Camfrog/Gameservers are here too the main problem.

I think that (the customers) is the main problem, not openvz/kvm/.18/.32 etc.

edited April 2013

@William said: 25% IRC servers

So IRC servers, not even clients or bouncers, are only 25% of DDoS targets, yet you immediately single-out IRC as root of all evil (and readily get helpful suggestions to ban all IRC to solve everything).

@jon617 said: Now I know why many providers disallow IRC.

@Voss said: Perhaps it is time to re-consider that policy?

IRC is the scapegoat, yeah, it's all because of IRC.

edited April 2013

@DomainBop said: see below (from an IntoVPS openvz box)

So, what, some nodes get lucky:

[root@pm16 ~]# uptime

18:25:17 up 336 days, 4:17, 1 user, load average: 0.72, 0.83, 0.75
    [root@pm16 ~]# uname -a
    Linux pm16.prometeus.net 2.6.32(...) Tue Apr 17 23:56:34 BST 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

• I prefer to reboot now and then instead of run ancient kernels ;-)

edited April 2013

@rds100 said: I prefer to reboot now and then instead of run ancient kernels ;-)

It is not that they are ancient, I am sure they are patched in time for vulnerabilities, however, some features are missing or need horrible (more so than mainstream OVZ, lol) patches to pretend to work.

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited April 2013

On the topic of reboots, I am fine with occasional reboots of virtual servers especially if it means upgrading to more stable kernels on the host machine. I would prefer, however, to be notified of such planned reboots in advance, even if the advance notice is just 15 minutes. That way at least I know why it was rebooted, without me having to dive into logs and open a support inquiry.

EDIT: Just found http://status.edis.at. I will keep an eye on it for notices.

On DOS attacks and KVM, this is good to know that KVM's network drivers don't react well when the host machine's network is overloaded.

On why my virtual machines sometimes do not come back online after reboot, I am working with EDIS support right now on fixing this problem. FYI it seems to be an issue that likely would affect other customers who initially installed their OS by mounting an ISO image then left it mounted after the install was finished.

• I've had a VPS at EDIS Swedish DC for about a year.
    My uptime record is 32 days. There are frequent reboots, atleast 2 per month. It also seems like they are getting DDoS a few times every week so you can't run anything that requires a reliable connection. I guess you get what you pay for!

edited April 2013

@MxMcMt said: I guess you get what you pay for!

Oh right, "one LEB provider has a problem = any cheap VPS must also have it."
    I have news for you, nope, it's not like that.
    On my current Xen/KVM VPSes (not EDIS) I can easily have multiple months of uptime, if I wouldn't reboot them myself to install a kernel update. A sudden unannounced reboot from the provider is very much out of the ordinary for me, and if this even happens more than once, grounds to think about cancellation of that service.