Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VMVPS Gold Awards (2013 Q1) result released! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VMVPS Gold Awards (2013 Q1) result released!

2»

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

No No.

I'm hoping the RTO isn't $200/m ontop of the base price.

From what I've heard, Jon charges like $140/m for an e3 with 16 - 32GB RAM, 4 drives, RAID 10 card, etc. That price usually includes some IP's.

After the RTO is done, the price goes down to $100/m or so.

It's likely the full RTO price is in the $250 - $300/m range. It's also very likely that Jon will let anyone out of an RTO if they so wish, but whatever payments have been made will now be forfeit.

Francisco

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited April 2013

@pubcrawler said: @concerto49, do you remember if that's the facility (Multacom) you let me do some network testing/routes on? Was a new premium network mix... Whatever that was, if cost justified somehow, bring that to market. Quite nice.

That was colo@ LA. It's just Quadranet with a bit more. However, I've found that they optimize on cost and at busy periods don't perform so well; sometimes worse than Quadranet. There are also other things I'd like to say but I'll remain professional. Rather not go out "bashing" others. At most, no comment.

Multacom proved to be better - works for China and other places. Spent a month doing extensive network tests against many providers. Internap LA was also evaluated.

We had a few delays obtaining E5-2630L CPUs and a few other things and hence delayed the launch. That is all. The Juniper switches and some other stuff are already there.

The future plan is to buy transit from Quadranet and mix together, all good :)

@pubcrawler said: But the question @concerto49, was about Buffalo providers at CC. Haven't much else other than dedicated rentals there. Seems like an "issue" there... Mind you purely speculative but see the results in some weird offers from companies I think are floundering and cash strapped with CC.

We do use Buffalo NY with CC. Started there before the disasters occurred. No, not tied to RTOs. However, no point moving. We just stopped promoting and growing in that area.

I don't think Colocrossing controls the LEB offers. I do have some "proof".

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited April 2013

@Francisco said: From what I've heard, Jon charges like $140/m for an e3 with 16 - 32GB RAM, 4 drives, RAID 10 card, etc. That price usually includes some IP's.

Wouldn't give me that pricing. Maybe for huge server bundles and hence the quick sale. We pay for a lot more than that sadly.

@Francisco said: If it wasn't for the buyvm name I wouldn't be able to continue to charge the prices we do in light of everyone competing on resources and price. I've been told by a few hosts that have Buffalo boxes that 2GB VM's just don't really sell over there anymore so you have to be doing 3GB or have a very strong rep to make it move.

Not touching 2GB/$7 VPS. I still standby this comment right from the start.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2013

@concerto49 said: Not touching 2GB/$7 VPS. I still standby this comment right from the start.

I see no reason to. Sure, I wish my 2GB's sold faster but whatever, those that need them buy them and enjoy them.

Word is StormVZ was getting a deal in the range I mentioned. I had more than a few big CC clients message me fairly pissed off that Jon had cut the deals. I know of a few others that got in that range w/o doing big buy downs, was literally first boxes to get people going.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: Word is StormVZ was getting a deal in the range I mentioned. I had more than a few big CC clients message me fairly pissed off that Jon had cut the deals. I know of a few others that got in that range w/o doing big buy downs, was literally first boxes to get people going.

Hence the cut in network performance. The excuse isn't it costs a lot, but the lower margins. Well if Jon is reading this: maybe if you switch us to those deals wink wink we'll consider getting more servers :p

• @Francisco said: Word is StormVZ was getting a deal in the range I mentioned.

No and where did that come from?

• This:

It's likely the full RTO price is in the $250 - $300/m range. It's also very likely that Jon will let anyone out of an RTO if they so wish, but whatever payments have been made will now be forfeit.

Those numbers are high. I am privy to one RTO, no names, no quantity... Anonymous. E-3 16GB, assuming 4 drives @ $200/month total.. That would be below the bottom by 20%. Of course something could be afoul as I don't have signed contract in hand, so taking people for their word. But it's a multi server contract :)

These numbers aren't so razor thin on the profits at scale. Depends on their actual bandwidth use and what is being included and CC's negotiated rates and headroom on the network (idle capacity).

Now the RTO model where forfeit pay in, of course. You default, you default. No equity. Servers go to someone else. That's honest and how it should be played.

Something odd going on though, so it appears, with providers underwater there though. I know several providers who can't sell squat in Buffalo, but have liquidity from elsewhere to pay for that idle server or two in BUF. Unsure why they keep draining liquidity...

@concerto49, 2GB @ < $7.01.. Sure, no need. I frown heavily about such sales BS antics. Glad you aren't biting that market mess.

• What's wrong with 2GB at $7/m? :)

• Kidding ehh @PhilND? :)

Well it might not always be true, but when you can't sell quality, you start selling filler and prettying up the pig with bulk. Too much of that China syndrome around here.