Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you outsource support?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you outsource support?

CoreyCorey Member
edited April 2013 in General

I know I'm probably impatient but I've posted at both WHT and LET and haven't really seen very much interest in a position for support with my company... I'm thinking about looking into outsourced support. Do any of you outsource support? If so who do you use? Do they do a good job? If you wouldn't outsource support why not?

Comments

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited April 2013

@Jack said: Why do you think no one is interested? you said per ticket? you could get one ticket and I have sat at a PC for 12 hours for $1...

Which also frees you up to do other things and not just answer tickets right? I figured a lot of people sat at their PC's doing other things all day anyway.

• $1 per ticket for a night shift is funny :)

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited April 2013

@serverian said: $1 per ticket for a night shift is funny :)

Is it? I've never had to hire anyone for it before. We have people open tickets all the time that are irrelevant. We are an unmanaged service and they will want us to install X program or set up their nameservers for them.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Jack said: It does yes but what's the response time you'd want?

1hr.

• @Corey said: Is it? I've never had to hire anyone for it before. We have people open tickets all the time that are irrelevant. We are an unmanaged service and they will want us to install X program or set up their nameservers for them.

Even half decent Indian support companies charge like $3-4 a ticket and you want native English support :)

• LV_MattLV_Matt Member
    edited April 2013

Even outsourcing you would most likely be paying more than $1 per ticket. Your budget for that is unrealistic.

If you want in house support expect to pay an hourly wage or tickets above $5 level depending on the number of tickets you get.

• jhjh Member

One of the companies I work with uses Proaxxs for outsourced support - they're not experts but they are fairly good all-rounders. You won't get anything for $1/ticket though.

• CoreyCorey Member

@jhadley said: One of the companies I work with uses Proaxxs for outsourced support - they're not experts but they are fairly good all-rounders. You won't get anything for $1/ticket though.

@serverian said: Even half decent Indian support companies charge like $3-4 a ticket and you want native English support :)

@LV_Matt said: Even outsourcing you would most likely be paying more than $1 per ticket. Your budget for that is unrealistic.

If you want in house support expect to pay an hourly wage or tickets above $5 level depending on the number of tickets you get.

Thank you - that is very good insight

• 1$ per ticket? Is this a bad joke?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@blergh_ said: 1$ per ticket? Is this a bad joke?

Never put your best offer on the table first :P

• CoreyCorey Member

@blergh_ said: 1$ per ticket? Is this a bad joke?

Hey excuse me for not knowing any better!

• I suggest you explain your support level expectation, too. I only guessed that you'd need Level 2.

• CoreyCorey Member

@serverian said: I suggest you explain your support level expectation, too. I only guessed that you'd need Level 2.

level 1 is all that's needed, anything else is a perk.

• support123support123 Member
    edited April 2013

We are in talk with someone who can do unlimited support tickets at only $270/month in night or day shift .If anyone want to test him,let me know.I can arrange a test for a nominal fee.
    We are in direct talk with the system admin ,not through any company.So It is cheaper.

• @ftpit, what level? what country? what timezone? how many hours?

• superpilesossuperpilesos Member
    edited April 2013

I hired a support team from Pakistan, never again. kicked them off after the first month.

• Any system admin who would be willing to do 270/month for unlimited tickets without any guarantee of pay rises in the next few months, in my opinion, is not worth looking into.

blergh-] Wintereise: he was also thinking sub 500$ for 12h a day

Also, fyi, this isn't gonna fly with people who speak English natively.

+Wintereise] Tell him to go to India.

^ Only suitable option I see remaining.

• @serverian
    L1, any, CST, 12h.

@Wintereise
    I consider my services cheap, but not THAT cheap :D

• CoreyCorey Member

@Wintereise said: blergh-] Wintereise: he was also thinking sub 500$ for 12h a day

Also, fyi, this isn't gonna fly with people who speak English natively.

I never mentioned any prices - @blergh_ mentioned $400.

• CoreyCorey Member

@superpilesos said: I hired a support team from Pakistan, never again. kicked them off after the first month.

Were they that terrible?

• support123support123 Member
    edited April 2013

@Wintereise oh really!! why not you test first? This is not through any company but individual worker

• @Corey: sent you a PM.

• @Corey: You know that we outsource our initial support. Have you ever seen us post about it on WHT or LET? Exactly....

• CoreyCorey Member

@Zen said: The reason is because you are offering barely anything per ticket, and because you're offering per ticket.

Per ticket work IS for outsourcing, its for generally low cost employees that won't give you anything special. If you want 12 hours covered and good result pay a wage. I'm not asking for the world when I look for work, but I shunt off anything ticket based for the most part because it just isn't worth it.

Actually @Jack asked me what I was paying and I said $1 per ticket as an initial place for them to negotiate from.

• Did you checked Wht, looking for employment section or so...

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2013

+1 to what Zen said, when I was looking to work, I always rejected offers for $x per ticket. I prefered monthly/weekly payments instead, and I think most others who are serious and who would be dedicated to the job would prefer that.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited April 2013

So what if you don't have enough tickets to warrant an hourly rate, but all you're expecting is to copy/paste knowledgebase or Googled tutorial URLs, and then escalate to someone else if there's a true problem?

In other words, a human being to say "we'll look into your problem, but you may be able to solve your own problem with this here tutorial"

• edited April 2013

Pay per ticket can be a lose/lose for both the provider and the support worker

• Pay per ticket has worked out quite well for us, though we do it with internal staff, not outsourced.

• Create a good video tutorial for top 25 common problems, pay some.... Job killer : (