Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How are you organizing nodes and services
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How are you organizing nodes and services

fixidixifixidixi Member
edited April 2013 in General

Hy,
I've got to administer a handful of nodes so I came here for advice: how are you keeping track of nodes and services running on them? (also (pkg)version infos, configs ).
Till 5-6 servers it was OK but now im getting lost..
I wouldnt like to use any management apps like webmin coz they alter my already set configs and place a huge overhead on my server.
Any advices and suggessions are greatly appreciated :).
Thanks!

Comments

• @gbshouse said: scalextreme.com

+1

• Thats for monitoring as far as i could see. i have monit configured for that purpose and it serves well..

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@fixidixi - just read their documentation or try free version

• fixidixifixidixi Member
    edited April 2013

Well i did check it out.
    First: i couldnt find any charts detailing the differences between the packages. So far i need free solutions. On the other hand i see that its feature rich and fancy but thats not that important for me...
    Second: When i was about to download 64bit centos agent i got a 404 not found... well.. thats not good :D

• @gbshouse said: @fixidixi - just read their documentation or try free version

Have had a read through their docs and the different product descriptions. Do you know which service offers the interactive shell?

• @fixidixi said: how are you keeping track of nodes and services running on them? (also (pkg)version infos, configs ).

Till 5-6 servers it was OK but now im getting lost..
    I wouldnt like to use any management apps like **webmin **coz they alter my already set configs and place a huge overhead on my server.

@fixidixi Do you mean this kind of infos

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@ShardHost said: Have had a read through their docs and the different product descriptions. Do you know which service offers the interactive shell?

It's not the best idea due to security risk!

You can take a look on https://puppetlabs.com/puppet/puppet-enterprise/

• Haven't seen this before, cheers!

I also use CopperEgg

• no its not mostly about monitoring. Its more about tasks (proxy1,proxy2, webhost,db1,db2,dataX etc) and just a basic overview (like having a check if all is well and a cross if dispace is more than 80%) and that sort of thing. also it should be a page with all these sort of things..

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited April 2013

Then possibly Zabbix? I mean yeah that's another monitoring script but you should be able to get that done through Zabbix I think...

• also i could go with nagios but thats just another huge whale :D

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited April 2013

Excell sheet for IP and server info management, Openstatus for basic server monitoring (Only ovz), Observium for everything (replaced nagios). Then Pingdom to monitor Observium and Openstatus server (inception).

• ScaleXtreme seems pretty nice, a bit sluggish for me tho (timing out/slow responsiveness)

• nice, i have 12 servers and i only look daily 4, so im gonna test scalextreme =D

• ScaleXtreme looks nice, but its somewhat buggy.

It has some interface oddities and I got spammed 100 or so notification emails (over the course of a few hours) about them not receiving data from the server. But I can assure you, there wasn't anything wrong with the server or the network.

A button in their interface that is needed to turn off email notifications wasn't working either.

I'm uninstalling... I really wish it worked better.

Also yeah, its sluggish.

• Custom PHP script that shows info and doubles as a status checker. Have it on my most reliable server and also a local copy just in case.

• blergh_blergh_ Member
    edited April 2013

ScaleXtreme should make their solution more lightweight and easy to overview, i dont want to press one button to go to to just one host, and from there press even more submenues to get to where i want.

Price-wise it's a steal at 2$ per host, i wish we could see this type of pricing on other SaaS-projects.

@Sunshine
    I got the spam too, and this is one of the things that is annoying as fuck with these services, they claim to "never miss a beat" but fail and send you a metric fuckton of false alerts making you have to configure and tweak it as if it was a zabbix setup. This then removes the whole point of having it "out of house" as it's just as bitchy to just slap random NMS on a VM/Dedi and configure that.

• well i guess its not that much of a problem the package for my centos nodes after all :) (i mean after your bad reviews..)
    I'm thinking about that spreadsheet, but I guess im going to have to install a better monitoring system and organize things like a cluster..
    Additional ideas are still most welcome ;)

• goexodusgoexodus Member
    edited April 2013

newrelic.com for monitoring is another option
    http://newrelic.com/pricing
    Lite is free

• I use cron ._.

• @BronzeByte said: I use cron ._.

For what

• http://www.datadoghq.com/ not free and only monitoring. I am also looking for a reliable way for hosted service that does config management like scalexterme

• @HalfEatenPie said: For what

Updating stuff :-)

• @BronzeByte
    How do you know that your cronjobs have been successfully executed and not crashed mid-way?

• @blerg_ said: How do you know that your cronjobs have been successfully executed and not crashed mid-way?

If the job exits with an error number, cron will e-mail root@localhost. Besides, apt and yum can also crash when you manually run it, it should fix the mess on run after it.

• FYI scalextreme discontinues its free package.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

CopperEgg > ScaleXtreme