Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How shall I go about my website?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How shall I go about my website?

emghemgh Member
edited November 2017 in General

Hello,

I plan on setting up a Ghost blog on a new personal website. Basically, from what it looks now I'll do this:

To host the Ghost: https://openvz.io/#pricing (The extreme plan, X256) £14.00/Year
To get the domain and host the DNS: https://glesys.se/tjanster/domaner (.se domain) 130 kr/år

But my last "issue" is the mail. I want to be able to mail knowing my emails won't be caught in any filter or anything like that. I know Google has their G Suite but I'd like using a not so centralized way of doing this, say for example the Tutanota premium plan seems really interesting to me, however, the most important thing is that it's stable. Both in the context of downtime/uptime but also that the emails sent are actually getting to the other inbox without issues. I'm also looking for a fairly cheap solution. Only one address, I'll also just use some MB of disk space probably. Is even doing this from the VPS a sustainable solution, if not, what is?

Thanked by 1EthanZou

Comments

• Sure, those are fine choices for your hosting & domain.

If by "not so centralized", you mean you don't want to rely on Google any more than you already do, then yeah sure Tutanota is fine. It looks like your registrar glesys has email forwarding for domains, I'm not sure that's sufficient for you though since you want a fully functioning inbox. Go with Tutanota, ProtonMail, Posteo.de, Mailbox.org. FastMail is very nice, but probably too expensive & not worth the money. I'm pretty sure a lot of these services have trials.

Don't host mail yourself, unless you're okay with investing a lot of time in the beginning to set it up and get it working, and are okay with resolving all your own issues. At least, maybe consider saving this side-quest for another day and just get some managed mail solution going so you can work on your personal website.

• emghemgh Member
    edited November 2017

Yeah, if that deal is working when I plan to order, then, that's interesting. I'm going to order everything the first day of 2018 so that I remember to make sure that everything is getting renewed.

@fxf said:
    Sure, those are fine choices for your hosting & domain.

If by "not so centralized", you mean you don't want to rely on Google any more than you already do, then yeah sure Tutanota is fine. It looks like your registrar glesys has email forwarding for domains, I'm not sure that's sufficient for you though since you want a fully functioning inbox. Go with Tutanota, ProtonMail, Posteo.de, Mailbox.org. FastMail is very nice, but probably too expensive & not worth the money. I'm pretty sure a lot of these services have trials.

Don't host mail yourself, unless you're okay with investing a lot of time in the beginning to set it up and get it working, and are okay with resolving all your own issues. At least, maybe consider saving this side-quest for another day and just get some managed mail solution going so you can work on your personal website.

Thanks, I've spent a lot of time looking at different ways of doing this. Glesys also offers real mail inboxes by the way, but they're included with their VPS servers and those are far too expensive when they're literally located in the same datacenter as the Iniz/OpenVZ steals. Tutanota aswell as MXRoute are my most interesting offers right now. And yes, what I meant was that I already rely on Google far too much.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Watch the offers section and the black friday thread if you're planning on ordering before Monday. You can get quite a bit more for 14GBP on the hosting side. But Iniz is a good option.

• emghemgh Member
    edited November 2017

@Harambe said:
    Watch the offers section and the black friday thread if you're planning on ordering before Monday. You can get quite a bit more for 14GBP on the hosting side. But Iniz is a good option.

I would want to order on the first day of 2018 to make sure that everything is renewed correctly. Also, I want Swedish hosting. That's why I'm not going with any cheaper provider.

• @emgh said: @angstrom said: For mail, you know about mxroute, right?

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/130487/mxroute-email-hosting-black-friday-starting-at-5-year

Yeah, if that deal is working when I plan to order, then, that's interesting. I'm going to order everything the first day of 2018 so that I remember to make sure that everything is getting renewed.

That mxroute offer is unlikely to be available on 01 January, but I understand that you may not be ready yet.

edited November 2017

emgh said: I would want to order on the first day of 2018 to make sure that everything is renewed correctly.

If you order it all today it would all expire on Nov 25, 2018 - assuming they're all annually billed.

emgh said: Also, I want Swedish hosting. That's why I'm not going with any cheaper provider.

Check the HostHatch deals in their offer section post, have location in Stockholm.

• emghemgh Member
    edited November 2017

@Harambe said:

emgh said: I would want to order on the first day of 2018 to make sure that everything is renewed correctly.

If you order it all today it would all expire on Nov 25, 2018 - assuming they're all annually billed.

emgh said: Also, I want Swedish hosting. That's why I'm not going with any cheaper provider.

Check the HostHatch deals in their offer section post, have location in Stockholm.

That's some really nice deals, what do you think about ordering on the first of 2018? Wouldn't there be sick new years promotions?

@emgh said:

That's some really nice deals, what do you think about ordering on the first of 2018? Wouldn't there be sick new years promotions?

Maybe something at Christmas - but nowhere near the same as Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

• emghemgh Member
    edited November 2017

@Harambe said:

@emgh said:

Maybe something at Christmas - but nowhere near the same as Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Okay, well, if I were to find something "sick" then I'd maybe order everything right now. However looking into the Hosthatch deal it was an NVMe disk, meaning I would get 5GB of storage, instead of 25-50GB on OpenVZ. Depending on what plan I choose. The only reason why 1.5GB of ram would be good is that I could install & upgrade my forum software (Ghost) more easily, but Iniz support already promised me that they'd actually temporary add ram to my VPS when I needed to upgrade the software.

• @emgh said:
    Hello,

I plan on setting up a Ghost blog on a new personal website. Basically, from what it looks now I'll do this:

To host the Ghost: https://openvz.io/#pricing (The extreme plan, X256) £14.00/Year
    To get the domain and host the DNS: https://glesys.se/tjanster/domaner (.se domain) 130 kr/år

But my last "issue" is the mail. I want to be able to mail knowing my emails won't be caught in any filter or anything like that. I know Google has their G Suite but I'd like using a not so centralized way of doing this, say for example the Tutanota premium plan seems really interesting to me, however, the most important thing is that it's stable. Both in the context of downtime/uptime but also that the emails sent are actually getting to the other inbox without issues. I'm also looking for a fairly cheap solution. Only one address, I'll also just use some MB of disk space probably. Is even doing this from the VPS a sustainable solution, if not, what is?

openvz.io and their extreme plans are good and cheap - have one hosted in sweeden as well.

For the domain have a look at https://domainname.shop/?currency=SEK&lang=sv

They have an offer of mailboxes for your domain also and their domains seem to be priced resonably

• @svmo said:

@emgh said:
    Hello,

openvz.io and their extreme plans are good and cheap - have one hosted in sweeden as well.

For the domain have a look at https://domainname.shop/?currency=SEK&lang=sv

They have an offer of mailboxes for your domain also and their domains seem to be priced resonably

Absolutely, very good pricing. I'd have to look up if they're.SE accredited and such though.

• svmosvmo Member
    edited November 2017

@emgh said:...
    Absolutely, very good pricing. I'd have to look up if they're.SE accredited and such though.

They are 110 SEK / year - they operate out of Norway

https://iis.se/domaner/aterforsaljare/se/?country=NO

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@emgh said:

@Harambe said:

@emgh said:

Okay, well, if I were to find something "sick" then I'd maybe order everything right now. However looking into the Hosthatch deal it was an NVMe disk, meaning I would get 5GB of storage, instead of 25-50GB on OpenVZ. Depending on what plan I choose. The only reason why 1.5GB of ram would be good is that I could install & upgrade my forum software (Ghost) more easily, but Iniz support already promised me that they'd actually temporary add ram to my VPS when I needed to upgrade the software.

We have OpenVZ plans too, just not on this promotion. https://hosthatch.com/openvz-ssd

Please feel free to PM if you need something customized on these plans.

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

If you don't need 50GB storage we have a 256MB 5GB NVMe at that price less than that.

• @Abdullah said:

@emgh said:

@Harambe said:

@emgh said:

We have OpenVZ plans too, just not on this promotion. https://hosthatch.com/openvz-ssd

Please feel free to PM if you need something customized on these plans.

Would you be able to offer something that can beat me going with the openvz.io plans? If so, that's interesting.

@vmhaus said:
    If you don't need 50GB storage we have a 256MB 5GB NVMe at that price less than that.

As you might have seen, I stated that I needed more then 5GB NVMe, and that I needed it in Sweden.

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Not a problem. If we have help let us know.

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2017

@emgh said:
    Would you be able to offer something that can beat me going with the openvz.io plans? If so, that's interesting.

We can do:

OpenVZ Stockholm
    1 CPU @ 3.5 GHz
    1 GB RAM
    35 GB SSD
    1 TB bandwidth
    $16 per year

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @Abdullah said:

@emgh said:

We can do:

OpenVZ Stockholm
    > 1 CPU @ 3.5 GHz
    > 1 GB RAM
    > 35 GB SSD
    > 1 TB bandwidth
    > $16 per year
    > 

Sent you a PM.

• @Abdullah said:
    We can do:

OpenVZ Stockholm
    > 1 CPU @ 3.5 GHz
    > 1 GB RAM
    > 35 GB SSD
    > 1 TB bandwidth
    > $16 per year
    > 

Now do it again, but KVM. :D

• @WSS said:

@Abdullah said:
    We can do:

OpenVZ Stockholm
    > > 1 CPU @ 3.5 GHz
    > > 1 GB RAM
    > > 35 GB SSD
    > > 1 TB bandwidth
    > > $16 per year
    > > 

Now do it again, but KVM. :D

You have to agree it's a pretty nice offer already.

• @emgh said:

I don't like OpenVZ all that much. It's perfectly fine for many- just a personal preference. :)

• @WSS said:

@emgh said:

I don't like OpenVZ all that much. It's perfectly fine for many- just a personal preference. :)

Yeah, everyone has their own personal preference! Since they do KVM servers you should PM Abdullah if you want something similar, I'm sure he can get you something.

Thanked by 1WSS