Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

45 servers in 4.3U space?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

45 servers in 4.3U space?

rds100rds100 Member
edited April 2013 in General

Yes, HP can do this - with the Hp Moonshot

But at $62000 for the chassis, this makes about $1400 per Atom server. Sorry, this is not going to be the next Kimsufi platform :)

Comments

• Ad : Shoot the Moon
    Reality : Shoot your own foot

• ChanChan Member
    edited April 2013

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/09/hp-moonshot-official/
    Looks really nice but at $1400 each......

Well I suppose it's just a matter of time till somebody else comes up with another cheaper design

• Maybe they can do 90% discount on the $62k price, then i would buy it :)

• i will wait for a chinese MoonCake ;) very soon...

• ChanChan Member

Just noticed that it uses the data center specific Atom S1200 CPU, have anyone seen how do they perform?

• You can use telephones (cellphones), they are tiny and as powerful as a laptop now

• ChanChan Member

@superpilesos said: You can use telephones (cellphones), they are tiny and as powerful as a laptop now

I can imagine someone racking RaspberryPis into a similar config like the Moonshot....., shouldn't be that hard considering how little cooling and power it requires. It's pretty pointless to do so though unless you're colo them

• Who doesn't want a 54Mbps unmetered server?

• Some better and cheaper may come soon if other vendors also release similar products.
    Or something from Chines Market as @peppr said.

• @rds100 That´s retail prices..big hoster like ovh or something get a big discount. Take a look at the cisco discount, 40, 50% is possible.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited April 2013

fileMEDIA yeah, probably they can sell it much cheaper. The CPU itself is like $50-$60 from Intel. I don't understand what justifies the current pricetag.

• GaNiGaNi Member

@Chan said: Just noticed that it uses the data center specific Atom S1200 CPU, have anyone seen how do they perform?

Not Sure if you read it completely or not but..
    From HP Moonshot webpage

Later in 2013, HP will ship server cartridges with processors from several other processor vendors – AMD, Applied Micro, Calxeda, Intel and Texas Instruments. Each new server cartridge will target specific services, such as high performance computing (HPC), gaming, telecommunications, finance, and genomics research, and workloads like memory caching, web serving and acceleration, Big Data analytics, facial recognition, and video analysis.

These server cartridges will implement accelerators using a variety of technologies: x86 and ARM CPU cores, compute offload via GPU, DSP, FPGA, and fixed function logic, and eventually APUs (accelerated processing units).

• @Jack said: how much would it cost you to colo it with power/bandwidth?

+1 power - bandwidth - ips

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited April 2013

The HP logo/brand is probably 2/3 of the cost ($1400)

• I wonder if they have iLO 4, or any at all,hm.

• melfymelfy Member

@Patrick said: The HP logo/brand is probably 2/3 of the cost ($1400)

Atleast it's not as bad as the 97% cost you pay for the "Apple" on the back of a MBP/iShit =P

• lumaluma Member

@melfy said: Atleast it's not as bad as the 97% cost you pay for the "Apple" on the back of a MBP/iShit =P

Where is the thank button!!!!

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited April 2013

@melfy said: Atleast it's not as bad as the 97% cost you pay for the "Apple" on the back of a MBP/iShit =P

You pay for OSX and the apps which just works with no BSOD / easy malware injection and security probes, people who can't afford it tend to moan about it :)

• @luma said: Where is the thank button!!!!

+1 I need a thank button NOW!

• @Patrick said: You pay for OSX and the apps which just works with no BSOD / easy malware injection and security probes, people who can't afford it tend to moan about it :)

It's easy to rule out issues like BSOD on a standard configuration like apple does.

• @serverian said: It's easy to rule out issues like BSOD on a standard configuration like apple does.

Meaning you can't choose your own parts :P

• @melfy said: Atleast it's not as bad as the 97% cost you pay for the "Apple" on the back of a MBP/iShit =P

lololololooolllll xD

• @serverian said: It's easy to rule out issues like BSOD on a standard configuration like apple does.

Instead you get that sad face icon.

• What is the purpose of this?

• melfymelfy Member

I feel like I started a war on here!!

@Spencer said: What is the purpose of this?

Go home child.

• @melfy said: I feel like I started a war on here!!

Perhaps! lol

• @rds100 said: Maybe they can do 90% discount on the $62k price, then i would buy it :)

Same.