Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RootGeeks [.com] and BronzeByte
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RootGeeks [.com] and BronzeByte

TommehMTommehM Member
edited July 2013 in General

Dear LowEndTalk,
I would like to share a little story about a LowEndTalk user whom goes by the handle BronzeByte;
There was a LET auction of the domain RootGeeks [.com] which me and @xBytez bought for $35 and BronzeByte about 1 month after we got the domain decided to register RootGeeks [.net] and is now running a forum on the domain, he could have simply contacted one of use asking to buy the domain for >$100 although he decided the best thing to do was to register RootGeeks [.net], Popcorn is available for anyone whom requests it.

Comments

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
  • xBytezxBytez Member
    edited April 2013

He is disabled.

• superpilesossuperpilesos Member
    edited April 2013

It's how the world works. should have registered .net too if it was important to you.

@superpilesos said: It's how the world works. should have registered .net too if it was important to you.

Yup, you can't stop somebody registering a domain if it's available.

• What's wrong with this?

• CoreyCorey Member

Why is @bronzebyte disabled?

• twaintwain Member

..maybe you should have anticipated something like this and registered rootgeeks.net as well. These things can happen.. Not defending this but he is within his rights to register whatever domain is available and do what he wants with it as long as he is not violating DMCA's etc.

• @TommehM said: Popcorn is available

Already got some here

@serverian said: What's wrong with this?

1. OP buys RootGeeks.com off here for $35
    2. BronzeByte registers RootGeeks.net for about $10

I don't see an issue :/

• Is bronzebyte curtis as well? /me runs

• Your loss for not registering it before, if its not a trademark then you haven't a leg to stand on.

• @dominicl said: I don't see an issue :/

I just find it funny.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I don't understand the issue. Why would you expect him to buy the .com domain from you for $$ if he can get the .net for $?

@TommehM said: I just find it funny.

I don't.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

I think @Bronzebyte is the winner here, you are the loser.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited April 2013

Welcome to the real world? Correct me if I'm wrong, you're bitter because you didn't think to register the .net?

I'm not sure why this thread exists.

• You had a month to register other extension, you did not. I don't see any issue with it.

• --INSERT ANOTHER COMMENT SAYING IT'S YOUR FAULT--

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited April 2013

Dude, that is how this world works.

I did ask @xBytez about it, he wanted $100 -.-
    $100 for RootGeeks.com for brand name while HostVirtual has RootGeek.com, you don't want people to confuse those, thus kind of worthless for a business or something else serious.

I was going to offer like $25 for it but @xBytez seemed to ignore me.

This thread is a fucking joke, this is like crying at someone's parents, thanks for the PR/advertising though! :D

EDIT:

@xBytez said: He is disabled.

@Corey said: Why is @bronzebyte disabled?

Rehap from LET addiction ;-)

• @Bronzebyte was actually being shared at one time. I have proof. If anybody remembers when I hired him to do some work on my site. He stopped responding then told me that there were 2 people using that account.

• @dominicl said: OP buys RootGeeks.com off here for $35

@Prestige had it, I registered .net, .org and .info and then he sold it to @xbyetz appearently lol

• @24khost said: told me that there were 2 people using that account.

AFAIK that's not forbidden, but that isn't why I was disabled, it was on request.

• I know just stating a fact so that people know there have been 2 people who have posted under this name.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited April 2013

bought for $35

Google keyword tool
    Keyword Competition Global Monthly Searches Local Monthly Searches 
    root geeks 0 0 0
    Valuate.com Domain Appraisal   
    Freq.   Searches    Traffic Comp.   CPC com/net/org Sell It
            RootGeeks.com   $0  5   -   0   -   -   Com Taken    
            RootGeeks.net   $0  5   -   0   -   -   Com Taken    

I think I'd be madder at myself for spending $35 for the name than I would be at BB for registering the .net version or at whoever owns the .org version. My suggestion, change the thread title to "I overpaid for a crap name" :P

• @TommehM said: Dear LowEndTalk,

I would like to share a little story about a LowEndTalk user whom goes by the handle BronzeByte;
    There was a LET auction of the domain RootGeeks.com which me and @xBytez bought for $35 and BronzeByte about 1 month after we got the domain decided to register RootGeeks.net and is now running a forum on the domain, he could have simply contacted one of use asking to buy the domain for >$100 although he decided the best thing to do was to register RootGeeks.net, Popcorn is available for anyone whom requests it.

So basically you are saying that if you have registered abc.com then nobody else should be allowed to register abc.net, abc.org, abc.us, etc, etc?

Childish thoughts if you ask me.

• @zhuanyi said: So basically you are saying that if you have registered abc.com then nobody else should be allowed to register abc.net, abc.org, abc.us, etc, etc?

Childish thoughts if you ask me.

He wanted $100 for the .com even though RootGeek.com (no trailing S) already provides servers (hostvirtual)

• @BronzeByte said: He wanted $100 for the .com even though RootGeek.com (no trailing S) already provides servers (hostvirtual)

LOL...that is even more absurd....

• This is like the guy posting the thread earlier this week stating that register.com are scammers because the guy didn't read their TOS.