Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F*ck you Oracle MySQL!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

F*ck you Oracle MySQL!

xBytezxBytez Member
edited April 2013 in General

Hello LET,

Recently I have said goodbye to Oracle's MySQL and I said Hi to MariaDB, This is due to that Oracle is f*cking MySQL up. Everything is slowly becoming closed source and Fedora and Arch Linux even replace MySQL with MariaDB. I agreed with them and upgraded from Oracle's MySQL to MariaDB. Personally, I find it faster.

Arch Linux's news post.

"Started as a fork of MySQL by Widenius (creator of both servers)" - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MariaDB

According to Arch Linux, they're both made by the same creator.
MariaDB is basically a fork of MySQL but open source and it will stay open source.

What do you think? F*ck MySQL and Yay for MariaDB?

MariaDB blog post.

Comments

• jhjh Member

Pretty much, yeah

• @xBytez said: What do you think? F*ck MySQL and Yay for MariaDB?

....up until MySQL 5.6. Then you start getting annoyed with MariaDB's idiosyncrasies and wonder why you're putting up with them for a 2% improvement in speed over MySQL 5.6

• If you really want to experience awesome, drop MySQL and it's derivatives all together, and try out PostgreSQL.

• MySQL 5.6 seems solid to me.

But for an alternative I would use Percona http://www.percona.com/

I know a lot of people who will argue how much they love MariaDB, but the last time I tried it; it was a world of trouble for me. Don't recall why, just remember it was.

I've always used Percona or stock MySQL.

• I just uninstalled MySQL 5.6 and I did this and I'm done!

systemctl stop mysqld
    cp -r /var/lib/mysql/ /var/lib/mysql-back/
    pacman -R mysql
    pacman -S mariadb libmariadbclient mariadb-clients
    systemctl --system daemon-reload
    systemctl start mysqld
    mysql_upgrade -p

• I use percona xtradb, does wonders.

• XtraDB OWNS

• CoreyCorey Member

mariadb seems awesome

• ShoveDB is the bomb.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@xBytez said: This is due to that Oracle is f*cking MySQL up.

I attended MySQL Connect last year and will attend again this year. It's a mistake to think that Oracle is perverting, slowing, or otherwise trying to damage MySQL. There are more people developing on it today than there were when Sun owned it or when MySQL was an independent company.

MySQL really has no overlap with Oracle's other database products. The people who buy one often don't buy the other, and Oracle knows that. MySQL is its own ecosystem and Oracle treats it as a separate world. They've bled some higher-grade database features into MySQL - e.g., the performance instrumentation, etc.

It's tempting to say "just switch to Maria" or whatever, but the issue is what is certified with what throughout the stack. If you're running some self-written php code or you're a one-man shop running 100% open source, sure, do whatever you want. Much more common is someone who buys a product and it says "requires MySQL 5.5" and if the vendor doesn't support Maria, etc. then you'll use MySQL.

Just my take.

• MunMun Member

Percona is nice :)

• CoreyCorey Member

@mnpeep said: ShoveDB is the bomb.

I've deployed ShoveDB on all of my servers and in production it is about 50% faster than mysql for all queries we do.

• @Damian said: If you really want to experience awesome, drop MySQL and it's derivatives all together, and try out PostgreSQL.

^ this

• MunMun Member

@MiguelQ said: @Damian said: If you really want to experience awesome, drop MySQL and it's derivatives all together, and try out PostgreSQL.

^ this

http://www.mongodb.org/ ?

• MongoDB has a completely different scope; it's even NoSQL.

• jhjh Member
    edited April 2013

@Corey said: I've deployed ShoveDB on all of my servers and in production it is about 50% faster than mysql for all queries we do.

Except all of the resultant schemata have incorrect grammar.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Damian said: MongoDB has a completely different scope; it's even NoSQL.

Exactly. Mongo and other NoSQL DBs are great for "I have a big document that I mostly access via a key, give me the big document". They're awful for "summarize results sorted by X, Y, and Z correlated by A and B over this time frame".

Just different problem spaces.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited April 2013

I've been using MariaDB for 2+ yrs now and it's also the default (MariaDB 5.2.x) for out of box centmin mod installs too http://centminmod.com/mysql.html (also testing MariaDB 5.5, MariaDB 10.x alpha and MySQL 5.6.x)

MariaDB uses Percona XtraDB/InnoDB but also has option to use MySQL 5.5 InnoDB plugin in some versions. MariaDB also has MySQL core improvements including for MyISAM engine which Percona and Oracle MySQL haven't done much on. MariaDB basically the best of both worlds :D

They all have their strengths, but just switching from one to another won't give you the best performance for your mysql usage loads unless you properly tune the MySQL/MariaDB myisam/innodb related settings - basically using the right tool (settings) for the right job (usage).