Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linode RAM Upgrades! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linode RAM Upgrades!

2»

Comments

• @Kris said: Yup - they do, both locations.

True, BuyVM is an exception here. I think it's mostly due to the panel. Both BuyVM and Linode have custom panels. The rest is mostly stuck with SolusVM, which is a nightmare compared to Linode's panel, and thus probably limited in what functionality they can offer.

• @yomero said: And waiting for the [email protected]

open a support ticket and ask politely to move. that works :)

• ChanChan Member
    edited April 2013

@mpkossen said: True, BuyVM is an exception here. I think it's mostly due to the panel. Both BuyVM and Linode have custom panels. The rest is mostly stuck with SolusVM, which is a nightmare compared to Linode's panel, and thus probably limited in what functionality they can offer.

Stallion's login page is nice, the rest isn't bad and is probably better than Solus but it's still a far cry from Linode's. Linode's service was exceptional for me when I still have one last year (I can't comment on their policies on DDOSes as I've never been DDOSed myself). If it's not for the price I would have stayed with them.

• @Ruchirablog said: open a support ticket and ask politely to move. that works :)

Interesting
    I will try after I finish some work and move my project to production, hopefully in some days

• lbftlbft Member

Linode's Lassie is clearly inferior to Dewlance's AutoBoot.

• @Chan said: Stallion's login page is nice, the rest isn't bad and is probably better than Solus but it's still a far cry from Linode's. Linode's service was exceptional for me when I still have one last year (I can't comment on their policies on DDOSes as I've never been DDOSed myself). If it's not for the price I would have stayed with them.

+1

Linode just gives you a /56 when you ask for it. I've haven't been able to get more IPv6 from BuyVM (believe me, I've tried and gave up) with the excuse that the panel doesn't handle it easily (and neither does Solus). Also, Linode (almost) always has stock, does easy migrations and has more locations. No offence to BuyVM, I still love them :) But since we're comparing... I might as well be honest.

• Yay, I just upgraded.

• Section 4 of the BuyVM AUP would make me concerned about the privacy of any private networking.

• lbftlbft Member

You should be aware that BuyVM's internal network, like most providers that have internal networks (including Linode, as far as I'm aware, and definitely AWS) is open to all clients in that datacentre - not just between your own servers. A private network gives you speed and doesn't eat your bandwidth, but it usually doesn't offer security (which makes me worry when people are dopey enough to have services open to the internal network with no authentication.)

• @lbft said: You should be aware that BuyVM's internal network, like most providers that have internal networks (including Linode, as far as I'm aware, and definitely AWS) is open to all clients in that datacentre - not just between your own servers. A private network gives you speed and doesn't eat your bandwidth, but it usually doesn't offer security (which makes me worry when people are dopey enough to have services open to the internal network with no authentication.)

False, is the provider has their own networking gear (a router and switches), like BuyVM has their internal network is isolated from the rest of the DC.

I sitll wouldn't run anything unauthenticated on the internal network though.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@mpkossen said: I've haven't been able to get more IPv6 from BuyVM

Can't see this being an issue? Got a ticket ID for me?

Remember, our private LAN isn't just between KVM's like anyone using Solus. Our OpenVZ's fully support the private LAN as well as proper bandwidth accounting in regards to it.

Yes, stallion 1 is ugly and yes we're over a year behind on stallion 2, but I've been making a lot of solid progress on 2 and have posted a lot of screenshots as I progressed. I'd make a thread on here about it but I think it'd annoy people and would count as self promotion of sorts.

Francisco

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited April 2013

@mpkossen said: So they're definitely competitive again.

IMO. they were always competitive in the market they serve. Now they are at the top of that market...

Linode Upgrade/Migration: We are pleased to inform you that you VPS will be upgraded/migrated. Login to your control panel and click the upgrade/migrate link. Your Linode will be offline during the upgrade/migration (for about 1 minute per GB of storage used). The status of your upgrade/migration is visible in the control panel.

LEB Upgrade/Migration: We are pleased to inform you that you VPS will be upgraded/migrated. Your VPS will be loaded on a truck and sent somewhere else. Your IP will be changed. Downtime will be several hours, though it might run into days. We might post updates occasionally on Twitter or Facebook. Good luck.

• lbftlbft Member

@rds100 said: False, is the provider has their own networking gear (a router and switches), like BuyVM has their internal network is isolated from the rest of the DC.

When I said datacentre, I meant the colloquial sense of "<provider>'s stuff in the datacentre". Sorry for not being clearer.

• JTRJTR Member

@Francisco said: I'd make a thread on here about it but I think it'd annoy people and would count as self promotion of sorts.

I wouldn't be annoyed... I've only seen the screenshots on the top providers LEB post, are there more? What kind of features should we expect? Are you guys going to change OVZ specs and/or pricing?

• So what happened to Linode deploying the E5-2647's?

Cause I just migrated and my nodes are on 2630L's

• u4iau4ia Member

@Francisco said: self promotion

More like a display of talent than self promotion.

• @Francisco said: Can't see this being an issue? Got a ticket ID for me?

Yes: 173177. I have to say though: the server I was requesting them for has been cancelled. Still, it struck me was weird. Thanks for looking at it anyway :)

@sleddog said: IMO. they were always competitive in the market they serve.

Fair enough :)

@u4ia said:More like a display of talent than self promotion.

+1, lots of threads about new panel versions, new software versions, etc.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited April 2013

@FRCorey said: Cause I just migrated and my nodes are on 2630L's

Apparently the 2630Ls were around since some time ago.
    Maybe someone got one of the new E5s?

My machines are still in these 2630Ls and L5630s

• flyfly Member

model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 0 @ 2.60GHz

• @fly said: model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 0 @ 2.60GHz

OMFG!
    I am Jelly xD
    What datacenter? Mines are at Dallas

• ChanChan Member

@sleddog said: IMO. they were always competitive in the market they serve. Now they are at the top of that market...

Linode Upgrade/Migration: We are pleased to inform you that you VPS will be upgraded/migrated. Login to your control panel and click the upgrade/migrate link. Your Linode will be offline during the upgrade/migration (for about 1 minute per GB of storage used). The status of your upgrade/migration is visible in the control panel.

LEB Upgrade/Migration: We are pleased to inform you that you VPS will be upgraded/migrated. Your VPS will be loaded on a truck and sent somewhere else. Your IP will be changed. Downtime will be several hours, though it might run into days. We might post updates occasionally on Twitter or Facebook. Good luck.

+1
    That sums it up quite well

• @yomero said: Apparently the 2630Ls were around since some time ago.

Maybe someone got one of the new E5s?

Are you on the Dallas600?

@fly said: model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 0 @ 2.60GHz

Whats the node are you on?

• ztecztec Member

Besides the many locations Linode has to offer I never really felt attracted to their service...

• AmitzAmitz Member

@ztec: Bloody Pervert! ;-)

• Linode are first class. The control panel is slick and support are effective. Only downside is potential ddos/dos problems

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited April 2013

@Ruchirablog said: Are you on the Dallas600?

No.
    But I have one of that E5s at Dallas539