Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chicago, Buffalo, or Los Angeles?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Chicago, Buffalo, or Los Angeles?

seikanseikan Member
edited April 2013 in General

Dear network pros, I'm going to develop a new website targeting world-wide visitors. Without using CDN services, which server location is recommended?

• Chicago, IL
  • Buffalo, NY
  • Los Angeles, CA

Comments

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited April 2013

Buffalo, NY: I recommend BuyVM and IPXCore
    Los Angeles, CA: I recommend Hostigation and NodeDeploy

Edit: Oh which location. Sorry about that.

• It just depends CC in Buffalo has some network issues. It i'snt the best. Chicago would be better if it was Central US, and LA isnt a bad choice, just depends where a lot of your readers are. Depending on your budget I would take a look at http://www.constant.com/cloud/vps/

They have a wonderful global network

• Shared webhosting service like HostAligator, your site is only in one node and no CDN right?

• @jcaleb said: Shared webhosting service like HostAligator, your site is only in one node and no CDN right?

I'm going to purchase a VPS to host the website. Now is considering the location.

• If it's worldwide then Central USA would be the best. This would be Texas / Chicago etc.

It's a balance between Europe and Asia reach.

• I vote LA

• Los Angeles

• LA, Chicago, Buffalo, in that order...

• bnmklbnmkl Member

If it's worldwide then Central Europe would be the best. This would be Italy etc.

It's a balance between USA and Asia reach.

• @Spencer said: It just depends CC in Buffalo has some network issues.

What sort of issues are you having?

• KrisKris Member
    edited April 2013

@peppr said: LA, Chicago, Buffalo, in that order...

+1 - Depending on the day Buffalo takes a new route, they're routing customers by the /24 or less, and after their "IPv6" switch upgrade in Buffalo, our network speeds dropped to ~ stalling - 20 KB/s. Took a week to convince them to check their own port / switch, and they claimed it was a "uplink wiring" problem.

Getting 3M/s max across the US is the "norm" now since they've pretty much removed Level3 from their mix last November. XO was added in Buffalo recently to take care of the bandwidth over-commitment.

Jon will deny everything, but 20 Kbps -> normal speeds after a XO route pops up isn't random. Traffic routing over BroadbandOne routes popping up (when bandwidth is slow) bouncing back and forth around the US, looks like they're struggling just to make BW commits.

Return paths? Mostly Cogent - Some Tata, Telia, essentially the cheapest back-hauled routes.

I.E: Routing in Colorado, the middle of the US? Your path now takes Colorado backhauled to Palo Alto -> SF -> Buffalo. 105 MS from Colorado to Buffalo, 50-55 MS to any of New Jersey.

Level3 makes up less than 2% of the mix now, so you can tell how the routes were optimized, for cheapest bandwidth.

When a data center pulls crap like even-odd routing, you know they're in deep.

Feels pretty much like a bait and switch on the poor sods who have contracts there.

• @peppr amen to that. I currently live in south-east pennsylvania and I get 70ms to Buffalo. Their crap cogent just takes me every which way. I dont see why hosts are staying there.

• KrisKris Member

@Spencer said: I dont see why hosts are staying there.

Lured into 24 month LTO deals with no SLAs or guarantees about network.

They could go single-homed Cogent, go off-line for two weeks, and from their "contract" you'd have no recourse against them.

• Depends on your visitor target. In USA, I prefer LA. Maybe you're interested in another continent?

• Choopa?

• @budingyun said: Choopa

[offtopic] every time I hear about that DC I always think "Koopa Choopa" [/offtopic]

• @Kris said: +1 - Depending on the day Buffalo takes a new route, they're routing customers by the /24 or less, and after their "IPv6" switch upgrade in Buffalo, our network speeds dropped to ~ stalling - 20 KB/s. Took a week to convince them to check their own port / switch, and they claimed it was a "uplink wiring" problem.

I would not be surprised if ColoCrossing deployed IPv6 using Hurricane Electric's BGP tunnels.

• The ColoCrossing Buffalo network consists of Level3, Telia, XO and Cogent and has been exceptional in my experience.

Your posts do not suggest a very high level of intelligence, by the way, Kris.

• KrisKris Member

@mikehighend said: Your posts do not suggest a very high level of intelligence, by the way, Kris.

Your posts and history suggests you work for VPSCrossing or CVPS.

You don't need @pubcrawler to see it's obvious based upon your history.

Regardless, the Buffalo network is complete trash lately, and unless you have your own ASN like Fran, you suffer at ColoCrossing's network admins, and their "routing"

Check the information at BGP, Level3 is almost completely gome from their network. Stats and having to administrate servers on that piss poor network is solid proof in my opinion.

By the way - their routing and inability to manage does not suggest a very high level of intelligence.

See you at the next ColoCrossing related thread.

• KrisKris Member

@mikehighend said: The ColoCrossing Buffalo network consists of Level3, Telia, XO and Cogent and has been exceptional in my experience.

I remember the tickets I sent in that day regarding only being able to push 300 KB/s max, pointing to an over-sold connection... Suddenly things worked and XO was added to the mix.

Crystal at UGVPS had a lot of network issues and got ColoCrossed until it took ~ almost a week for them to fix her network issues.

It's not just me. You can insult me all you'd like - I'm no CCNA nor do I claim to be. But from working with shoddy cheap data centers, I know the tell-tale signs.

• Kris, no one would confuse you for a CCNA.

Regarding UGVPS I presume you are referring to (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1252372&highlight=ugvps), which is clearly not a ColoCrossing issue.

The more you say, the more you look line a loon who has an axe to grind.

• KrisKris Member
    edited April 2013

@mikehighend said: The more you say, the more you look line a loon who has an axe to grind.

The more you talk (and all of your previous comments) point to you being Chris of ChicagoCrossing.

Regardless, everything pointed to the same issues. It took a memory and disk check until ColoCrossing checked and realized their switch / "uplink" port was bad, resulting in poor network speeds.

No axe to grind, but ColoCrossing should be called out on its less than budget routing and re-routing of customers / bringing up backbones (XO as you mentioned) as a fast fix for over-saturated lines.

We know who you are, and from every single thread / comment you post, you should honestly be defending your own company in the other thread (oh wait, you are in this one)

Honestly Chris, I liked you better when you stayed on your own username and kept your mouth shut. Hiring Kevin and keeping quiet was the brightest thing you've done in a while.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Kris,

Im right here, nice try though :)

As for the routing, CVPS, UG, and IPX have had no issues that I know of.

Seems like your the only one complaining, and honestly Mike is right, you dont seem to know much of what you are talking about.

That being said, going back to my youtube vids :)

Regards

Chris

• KrisKris Member
    edited April 2013

@CVPS_Chris said: Im right here, nice try though :)

Sorry, the IPs were pulled on you last year. Must be a joint account for the crew.

I wasn't the only one complaining, Hudson Valley Host customers were rather livid at return paths of 20kbps.

It took CC around 10 traces and me setting up looking glass software for them to do anything.

One support reply said 'we tested and it was OK over the local network - so no issue" , followed up by "wait - no, we're looking into it"

Maybe just HVH's paths are screwy, but customers have been flocking left right and center from Buffalo.

Buffalo = Hotel California location of CC. All others are cages / racks within actual data centers.

Kris,

I wont even address the IP issue as that has already been cleared up.

As for routes, 0 complaints here, and Buffalo is thriving more than any other location for me. Again, going back to youtube vids since those are more entertaining than your complaints that seem to have lack of knowledge on the situation.

Regards

Chris

• KrisKris Member
    edited April 2013

@CVPS_Chris said: than your complaints that seem to have lack of knowledge on the situation.

I dealt with Level 3 tickets and dealing with reasons / trace-routes and helping CC's own network admins with trace-routes. I should've sent them a remote-hands fee.

Your previous experience was "barbecues are on aisle 5" - So I'm no Einstein, but I'll go up against your uneducated ass any day of the week.

After weeks of dealing with the customers (who apparently had route issues as well) I'm convinced Jon's doing some budget routing at the expense of networks literally stalling.

I have weeks of screenshots, tickets and traceroutes if you'd really like go to into this.

Example of slow / corrupt connection. Buffalo CC -> LA CC

http://f.cl.ly/items/271S0k282R161E400i00/Screen Shot 2013-04-02 at 2.31.23 AM.png

@Kris said: but I'll go up against your uneducated ass any day of the week.

How exactly am I uneducated? Please explain that to me as I would like to get a great laugh from the next few words that come out of your mouth.

• KrisKris Member

@CVPS_Chris said: How exactly am I uneducated? Please explain that to me as I would like to get a great laugh from the next few words that come out of your mouth.

Weird, as it mostly came from the words that came out of your mouth on this forum.

Also, the brightest bulbs aren't usually associates at Lowes in their 20's until someone needs a front, I mean CEO for a company.

@Kris said: brightest bulbs aren't usually associates at Lowes in their 20's until someone needs a front, I mean CEO for a company.

When did I even work at Lowes? And have you attended College and/or have a masters degree?

• KrisKris Member

From your LinkedIn profile, before CVPS. You sent me an invitation when you sent many clients one awhile ago.

I graduated cum laude with an Associates in Business. Not fully there, but on my way to a Bachelors.

You on the other hand...