Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any interest in 10gbit VPSs? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any interest in 10gbit VPSs?

Comments

• DylanDylan Member
    edited April 2013

@RobertClarke said: 2TB BW @ 10Gbps shared.

Yeah, gotta agree that a 2TB B/W limit makes it pointless.

I guess effectively not letting people use the speed is one way to try and stem abuse, though.

• I'm just a "pay for what I've need" guy.
    Maybe most of us, better rearrange your plans again. A high end box rarely needed.
    Just a suggestion.

• @Spencer said: If you are expecting a dedicated 10gig, get ready to pay 3k+/m

Meh, depends where - HE in Europe sells 10G for 2500$ (flat) and most carriers give you a 10G port with 500Mbit commitment @ 1-2EUR.

• DerekDerek Member

FDC has 10Gbps ports unlimited for 399.99

10Gbps Access to all the VPS's can be a disaster, but if you limit each Virtual Machine to 1Gbps, or even 500Mbps, you can have some very satisfied customers who post some really good speed tests.

• From what I know, you can easily do this by simply committing 1Gbps at a 10Gbps port like FiberHub's WHT offer. Since the traffic limit is 2TB, you don't need a full flat 10Gbps.

I was thinking about offering a similar deal. However, I concluded that it'd attract abusers like most of the people pointed out here.

If you are going to do this, you need some fool-proof / near fool-proof anti fraud mechanism.

• @Francisco

Has Fiberhub added Above.net yet? Wasn't that meant to happen months ago?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@concerto49 said: Has Fiberhub added Above.net yet? Wasn't that meant to happen months ago?

No. Yes.

The hold up isn't on FH's end it seems. Abovenet's LV location isn't owned by Zayo, rather it's just a few racks of switches/routers that they have in a DC. The big holdup is getting the fiber run it seems. Rob isn't listing ZAYO in his sales posts as of this second it seems due to the delays :(

I'm hopeful that it shows up soon but for now it isn't too critical.

Francisco

• @Francisco, how is fiberhub's network. Are you happy?

@serverian said: @Francisco, how is fiberhub's network. Are you happy?

FH's network is great. Rob had route dampening enabled which was causing our nullroutes to take upwards of a minute to be accepted into his route tables but he turned those off since he didn't need them anymore.

Minus the screwups I've caused, our transit has gone up quite a bit, showing that I wasn't full of it when I said EGI was affecting our speeds. Our 'lows' used to be around 700mbit/sec, but soon after the move to LV we rarely dropped below a gig.

I expect once the brocade is in place it'll increase quite a bit more.

Francisco

• AndreAndre Member

Are 2 or 5Gbit connections possible?
    10Gbit seems very much overkill for LEB's.

• Why is there so much hate on this?

Is it because Robert didnt look at the costs first?
    The price is higher than $7?
    The abuse would be fanatical?

In either case, it's an alright idea, why on earth you'd ever want a 10Gbit VM is beyond me, it's not really useful.

@eastonch said: The abuse would be fanatical?

Duh.

Every booter skid dreams of finding an affordable unmetered VPS for $7/m that they can knock out a bunch of DNS reflection traffic out of. 100mbit/sec pushing non stop will easily generate a few gbit/sec of reflection traffic. Imagine if they had a large enough list and a large enough pipe.

Francisco

• @Francisco
    Correctly thinking, this would cause some major problems in smaller DC's, right?

edited April 2013

Correctly thinking, this would cause some major problems in smaller DC's, right?

Major DC's too.

The problem is most DC's don't know what a DDoS looks like, nor have any sort of auto nullroute platform.

There was a DC in Phoenix the other week that had a 10gbit/sec+ UDP flood (or so they say) that put them in heavy packetloss country for 30 minutes or so.

You're going to have a tough time finding many DC's that aren't going to feel a pinch when 10gig floods start hitting customer distro switches.

Francisco

• @Francisco

Safe to assume FH would deal with the attack well?

edited April 2013

@eastonch said: @Francisco

Safe to assume FH would deal with the attack well?

I honestly don't know. Rob claims that he has seen some large floods and the network didn't notice it, minus the end client getting his face ripped off. I don't doubt it, they are a mostly (i'm thinking purely?) brocade shop. Brocades are beasts that have no problems doing line rate.

Remember, we got ponynull monitoring things on our end so the only times we have flood issues is when I pulled nulls I shouldn't have. A few weeks ago I commited a new patch to autonull that made it so it watched out for such idiotic ideas :P

Francisco

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Francisco said: A few weeks ago I commited a new patch to autonull that made it so it watched out for such idiotic ideas :P

SO that is what alerted you to this thread?

@AnthonySmith said: SO that is what alerted you to this thread?

Someone linked me the thread on skype want I figured i'd give my 2 cents CAD.

:) ::troll::

• @Francisco said: Someone linked me the thread on skype want I figured i'd give my 2 cents CAD.

Wasn't it because I tagged you here? :(

@concerto49 said: Wasn't it because I tagged you here? :(

No, his patch, PM'ed you and told you to tag him, that is how it happened, and it was by design.

Clever guy that Fran.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Fran doesn't know anything about DDoS. Just ignore him.

(teehee)

• @Francisco said: Abovenet

@Francisco said: autonull

Yea.... just wait, that 2 points will not work together... you will see that sooner or later also

• @RobertClarke would it be possible to get some mechanical drives in there as well? Maybe 10GB on the SSD and 50GB on a HDD? with all that bandwidth it'd be really easy to fill up 20GB!

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited April 2013

@RobertClarke The 15$ 10Gbps VPS offer is even more awesome, it's good to have more networking resources for legitimate reasons, but on the other hand at this point in time with the current global bandwidth availability it has to be controlled tightly (the data flow), because it's like giving a loaded gun to (script)kiddies. They will try to fire and then get into trouble.

• You could do something like QuickPacket does (or, at least, did with me) -- limit port speeds initially to something like 10-100Mbps and then require a ticket or a certain period of time to pass before removing the limit.

This could at least deal with the lot who'd wait for activation and go nuts.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited April 2013

10Gbps ports are overrated. I can't think of any application where they are required except possibly streaming.

• @MrAndroid said: I can't think of any application where they are required except possibly streaming.

That's the reason I want one. Or, rather, a VPS with shared 10Gbps, anyway.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I would have to try one at the plan you listed in your post. Whether or not I'd keep it, realistically I'd say not likely because as much as I'd like to use it as a VPN for an entire small nation, I probably wouldn't get around to doing it ;)

• @William what issues does Above.net have with null routes?