Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any interest in 10gbit VPSs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any interest in 10gbit VPSs?

RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep
edited April 2013 in General

If yes, would you be looking at high-disk VPSs, SSDs? High clock CPUs? The network would obviously be shared, but customers could burst 10gbit.

It would be more of a high-end market, maybe $20-40/GB RAM, but would anyone be interested in something like this?

Edit: So we're probably looking at doing this:

1GB RAM
20GB SSD Space (960GB PCI-E SSD card on host node)
2TB BW @ 10Gbps shared.
OpenVZ.
4 cores @ 2.3GHz
$30/m.

I'm interested to know what people would think of this offer, I could do it, provide almost 10gbit speeds (node/network conditions will always). I might look into doing a 512mb offer for $15/m, but the idea is to keep the least amount of VMs on the server as possible, to increase network speeds.

Server would go through extensive testing before production deployment, and might not even pass tests in the end for it to be deployed.

Comments

• Yea, I would love it to 'stress test' my servers

• markmark Member

Absolutely. Memory doesn't make servers stand out any more, 10Gbps port would.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@mark said: Absolutely. Memory doesn't make servers stand out any more, 10Gbps port would.

What sort of specs and price point would you be looking for?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

High End Boxes would sell great on LowEndBox.com...

@KuJoe said: High End Boxes would sell great on LowEndBox.com...

As Mark said, 10gbps would be an interesting server, might sell well, who knows. Total node capacity would be 20gbps.

• markmark Member

I personally would be interested in something with a reasonable amount of diskspace, 20GB or more. 256MB memory, perhaps 512MB? Price-wise, $5-6? I have no idea what that sort of connectivity would cost.

It would just be something a little different from the massive memory, oversold OpenVZ that is of no interest to me.

• It would sell great on hackforums and wjunction

• I'd pay $10-15 for 256-512MB with 5-10GB disk, something like 2-4TB BW? Is that unrealistic?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Expect abuse.

You would also need dual E5's most likely to push the full 10G

• @ihatetonyy said: I'd pay $10-15 for 256-512MB with 5-10GB disk, something like 2-4TB BW? Is that unrealistic?

Depending on if you expect real 10Gbit speeds, even shared. Unless it's FDC or similar that's single homed or can't actually provide real 10Gbit, the bandwidth costs on it are still very high. Not to mention network cards and switches required for it.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

I would love to see the plan behind this.

@Nick_A said: I would love to see the plan behind this.

What part of the plan?

• God help us if people are able to purchase $30 VPS with a 10gbit port.

@RobertClarke said: What part of the plan?

Let's start with the 20-48x 10Gbps switch.

@Nick_A I can do it, not sure on the specifics yet, but if I was going to do this, I could. Still brain storming the server specifications that could push as much of the 10gbit port as possible.

• SpencerSpencer Member
    edited April 2013

@RobertClarke said: @Nick_A I can do it, not sure on the specifics yet, but if I was going to do this, I could. Still brain storming the server specifications that could push as much of the 10gbit port as possible.

If you are expecting a dedicated 10gig, get ready to pay 3k+/m

• ChrisKChrisK Member
    edited April 2013

pretty cheap price @spencer

• @Spencer said: If you are expecting a dedicated 10gig, get ready to pay 3k+/m

I'd expect that for dedicated 1Gbit.

• I would love to be able to burst to 10gig (or even a couple gigs). I'd love something like 512MB of ram, ~10GB and however much BW for ~$10/mo?

• For a reference:

1 x 2.1GHz core
    1GB RAM
    75GB RAID10 HDD
    10Gbps shared port
    10TB bandwidth
    OpenVZ Virtualization
    NL Datacenter
    38$/m

edited April 2013

So we're probably looking at doing this:

1GB RAM
    20GB SSD Space (960GB PCI-E SSD card on host node)
    2TB BW @ 10Gbps shared.
    OpenVZ.
    4 cores @ 2.3GHz
    $30/m.

I'm interested to know what people would think of this offer, I could do it, provide almost 10gbit speeds (node/network conditions will always). I might look into doing a 512mb offer for $15/m, but the idea is to keep the least amount of VMs on the server as possible, to increase network speeds.

Server would go through extensive testing before production deployment, and might not even pass tests in the end for it to be deployed.

Let me know guys.

• What rate of oversubscription?

I still don't see the point of a 10gbps vps

• @Fliphost said: I still don't see the point of a 10gbps vps

The ability to burst up to 10Gbps.. lol.

@semoweb I mean I can understand it for a dedicated server, typically streaming. Where bandwidth need is high and used to the max, however 10G with 2Tb of BW I just see as missing the point of it.

• @Fliphost said: however 10G with 2Tb of BW I just see as missing the point of it.

Takes less than 30 min to use all your bandwidth for the month!

Let the abuse begin.

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited April 2013

@Fliphost said: I still don't see the point of a 10gbps vps

+1

• @spencer in 4 mins you can use 2.4TB.. At full 10G, since solusvm polls inbound+outbound 2 mins at full duplex

• @ChrisK said: in 4 mins you can use 2.4TB.. At full 10G, since solusvm polls inbound+outbound 2 mins at full duplex

Yea less than 30 min, like I said.