Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$9/yr 64MB VPS Black Friday Special @ Seattle/Los Angeles/Chicago + 1Gbps/RAID10/SSD/DDOS Protec - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

$9/yr 64MB VPS Black Friday Special @ Seattle/Los Angeles/Chicago + 1Gbps/RAID10/SSD/DDOS Protec

2»

Comments

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited November 2017

As i see, you like to answer and argue, so:

oneilonline said: As already stated, there are a lot of things you can do with a 64mb box

As you say, but the only refference about what could anyone do with a 64MB box nowadays is this one and only answer from -guess who?- you, stating this:

oneilonline said: There are a number of things you can still do with 64MB

So, could you please help all us on what could anyone do in real life with a 64MB box? You already admitted that even if anyone want to even do a yum-update to a not EOL centos installation, he should...

oneilonline said: disable fastmirror and/or have custom repos yum still functions

So, please, enlighten all of us and suggest us some real life usages of a 64MB box!

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

@jvnadr You think I'm arguing? I beg to differ. Thank you for sharing your opinion, this is not the time and place. Thank you.

• inklightinklight Member
    edited November 2017

@jvnadr said:
    As you say, but the only refference about what could anyone do with a 64MB box **nowadays **

Well

Yes, You Can Run 18 Static Sites on a 64MB Link-1 VPS

for SEO warrior like me 18 site more then enough to run a business , spcially its for 9$ a year .

@oneilonline thanks for offer and keep good work .

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited November 2017

inklight said: Yes, You Can Run 18 Static Sites on a 64MB Link-1 VPS

This is from this thread:

https://lowendbox.com/blog/yes-you-can-run-18-static-sites-on-a-64mb-link-1-vps/

Date: March 18, 2009

After my order has been provisioned, I re-image the server with a Debian 5 “Lenny” image. I normally pick Debian or Ubuntu because apt-get uses much less memory than RedHat/Fedora’s equivalent, and it’s also my personal preference.

In 2006, 64MB was a great amount of memory to begin with a vps. In 2009, it was already a really low end box.
    Now? Ehm.. Well, we have (almost) 2018, you know? Debian Lenny is EOL since 2012 and I am afraid you cannot follow this guide with debian 8 or 9... it is irresponsible to try to install Centos 4 or Debian 5 to a vps.
    But, having a second thought, if their box is KVM, maybe it can run perfectly Windows 3.1 with a little modification!

TL;DR

If you are nuts with virtualization and want to push limits with a box, then, go and try it. But the hoster is trying to present it in the thread title as "Black Friday Special Offer", and that's just so far away from reality... Well, @oneilonline, it is sad because you are long enough in hosting business (if you are really involved since mid 90's, then, you are... ancient to this area!) and you should understand that a 64MB vps in 2018 cannot be a "Black Friday Special"...

Anyway, good luck with your sales. /thread

FYI as stated previously, we are offering Debian 8 and CentOS 7, off the top of my head, as the most recent OS to choose from for the 64mb package. And you are welcome to run an older OS for compatibility, or welcome to install your custom OS/hybred via ISO. The VPS is yours to do with as long as you accept the TOS and AUP.

edited November 2017

@jvnadr said:
    In 2006, 64MB was a great amount of memory to begin with a vps. In 2009, it was already a really low end box.
    Now? Ehm.. Well, we have (almost) 2018, you know? Debian Lenny is EOL since 2012 and I am afraid you cannot follow this guide with debian 8 or 9...

Whos tell you me or others who's owning low end servers still using debian 5 ,
    I was using debian 7 for two years . month ago I ugraded two of my 128 MB VPS servers to debian 8 and php 7 , and without optimization my VPS still consume 76MB only .
    It don't matter wht years it is since HTTP standreds still the same and acceptable from all browsers and devices on the world , web servers only needs HTTP /TCP connection as long OS capable of boot everthing are possible .
    BTW debian 8 can run on that 65MB server too very smoothly . and for static websites a webserver like lighttpd will consome 1~2MB RAM max , since they are static there no needs for PHP or MySQL even fro smtp or blind dns etc , test it your self and see .

jvnadr said: if their box is KVM, maybe it can run perfectly Windows 3.1 with a little modification!

Windows will always give you BSOD even with 16GB Dedi RAM

@inklight is that screenshot from an old Dota comp?

Anyways, all our systems are thoroughly tested, including stress tested, before passing to be service qualified. We're not a fly by night or weekend warrior type of host which majority are, that just throw or change up offers/services at the drop of a hat. We've been around a long time.

edited November 2017

oneilonline said: is that screenshot from an old Dota comp?

no darling it was on the Olympic big embarrassment (any way I don't thing any millennials saw the moment of glory of windows before )
    https://gizmodo.com/5035456/blue-screen-of-death-strikes-birds-nest-during-opening-ceremonies-torch-lighting

@inklight oh! I never heard that occurred, even though I watched the opening ceremony, they probably edited it out.