Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to split NOCIX Custom Dedi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Want to split NOCIX Custom Dedi

Hey folks,

I'd like to get the following dedi from NOCIX: https://nocix.net/cart/?id=312

It has the following specs:
Dual E5-2670v2 20 cores / 40 Threads
64GB ECC
4TB SATA
100TB Monthly Transfer
5 Usable IPv4 Addresses /64 IPv6 Block

I'd only use about half of the resources. Would anyone be interested in splitting the cost? We could plop proxmox on there and divide up the resources.

Comments

• What are you using yours for? Plex?

• mkshmksh Member
    edited November 2017

So you are going to put your name on a server you are going to split with some random guy you met on the internet? Good luck. You will need it.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@mksh said:
    So you are going to put your name on a server you are going to split with some random guy you met on the internet? Good luck. You will need it.

Sounds very familiar to what hosting providers do.

Thanked by 2MikePT ehab
  • @mikho said:

@mksh said:

Sounds very familiar to what hosting providers do.

True but then they have experience with this and being a provider will give them a plausible excuse when things go bad. I seriously would not want to be in a position where i have to tell the cops that it was that other guy (tm) which i have hardly any information on that hosted [insert bad stuff] on the server i am renting.

• I never understood the idea of dividing up a huge server like that, so that at any given moment each person has 50% of the resources. I'd be more interested in having 100% (or anyway 90%) of the resources 50% of the time. That would mean a certain amount of coordination between the users, but the idea is that a user could hog the machine (say 18 of the 20 cores) for up to 3 days nonstop, then the next person would get a turn, etc, or something like that. While the 18 cores were occupied other users could still ssh in to take care of small tasks, file transfers, etc. so they wouldn't be completely shut out.

I don't think I'm up for 50% of a machine at the moment, but could be interested occasional 3 day sessions like the above, at perhaps 20% of the monthly cost.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

It's called cron. Randomly change each user's password every 12 hours automatically, and mail it 12 hours later (after killing all of their owned processes).

• why not buy a lower spec server for half price?

• vishvish Member
    edited November 2017

@WSS i like!

@muratai where can i get a 20 thread kvm with 32GB ram and 2tb storage for $40?

@willie I like this proposal. My personal use would work well with this scenario. That breaks down to roughly $2.66 per day. You would get to pick your days ahead of time and of course you would get 100% of the resources on your days. Let me see how hard it would be to script server-side

• Maybe mine monero when server's not in use...?