Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which One: OVH or RamNode for SSD VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which One: OVH or RamNode for SSD VPS?

JustAMacUserJustAMacUser Member
edited November 2017 in General

I'm just looking for some feedback from people who may have experience with OVH and RamNode.

Right now I have a 1 GB RAM Premium KVM SSD with RamNode, which I've had for years. I'm looking to get something with a bit more RAM but their Premium line gets a little expensive after 1 GB; I'm using this for mostly personal use. I've had absolutely zero problems with RamNode service-wise. Uptime is fantastic, machine runs fast, etc.

What I'm wondering is if I should switch to their standard KVM SSD line with a 2 or 3 GB VPS or if I should switch to OVH's VPS SSD line.

OVH is a pinch cheaper and my ISP has peering with them (though RamNode's New York location is only about 10-15 ms slower even if it's more hops). OVH provides more RAM for the price but RamNode provides a bit more storage (20 GB of storage should be fine for me though).

Anyone use either? Also, OVH has their "own" ISOs (I'd be using Debian), how are they different (err... "optimized" as OVH's marketing calls it)?

Recommended Provider
  1. Which VPS line should I pick?57 votes
    1. RamNode Premium SSD KVM
      33.33%
    2. RamNode Standard SSD KVM
      12.28%
    3. OVH VPS SSD
      40.35%
    4. Other (share in comments)
      14.04%

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
  • The ramnode is very good , but they limit cpu !

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • OVH so you can sleep well.

Thanked by 2joeri auds6868
  • niknik Member, Host Rep

OVH SSD VPS' dIsk performance is a joke, SSD Raid 10 looks very different to me. I suggest you create a hourly VPS SSD and benchmark it. While CPU performance and the RAM is nice, the Disk performance is so bad that I wouldn't even consider it. Also it's limited to 100 Mbps, which is enough for most people, but 1 GbE is always "nice to have".

I don't have any experience with RamNode, but if you are happy with them I wouldn't consider switching.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2017

I have SSD VPS with both, if you want any specific benchmarks ran just ask. Uptime on both is very good, at least in OVH's BHS location. I have RamNode in NY, same goes for there. The RamNode VPS is fairly new (running dev environment for websites), the OVH one is over a year or so old now and haven't had any downtime on it.

• Believe me, your offers are extremely tempting. I'm curious if you offer additional IPs (I would like two for one VPS because I would want to run a VPN off the second one).

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@JustAMacUser said:

Believe me, your offers are extremely tempting. I'm curious if you offer additional IPs (I would like two for one VPS because I would want to run a VPN off the second one).

$1.00/month per IP.

Francisco

Thanked by 1JustAMacUser
  • @gongyi said:
    The ramnode is very good , but they limit cpu !

Yes, but since the server is mostly personal use the CPU constraints are not an issue for me. Also, it's 90% for an extended period of time, which I have no issue with.

@MikeA,

I've heard they limit disk IO quite a bit (as @nik mentioned) so I'm wondering if that's been an issue.

• @Francisco said:
    $1.00/month per IP.

Ugg... Going to have to put a third provider on the list then. :)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

gongyi said: The ramnode is very good , but they limit cpu !

Its a VPS, not a dedicated server.

I will be launching pure NVMe SSD KVM's for Black Friday with automated daily backups in the UK, hand on a little while and grab yourself a bargain.

Pricing will be in the region of €6.00 for 2GB Ram on launch to give you a ballpark.

Thanked by 1SamP
  • @AnthonySmith said:

I will be launching pure NVMe SSD KVM's for Black Friday with automated daily backups in the UK, hand on a little while and grab yourself a bargain.

Pricing will be in the region of €6.00 for 2GB Ram on launch to give you a ballpark.

And then the 50% off for Black Friday right?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

corbpie said: And then the 50% off for Black Friday right?

Actually, it may well be better than that :)

Thanked by 3Aluminat Harambe imok

@JustAMacUser said:
    @MikeA,

I've heard they limit disk IO quite a bit (as @nik mentioned) so I'm wondering if that's been an issue.

I just ran the first two dd off Google, soo. https://pastebin.com/raw/gAtzkE0f

Thanked by 1JustAMacUser
  • niknik Member, Host Rep

@MikeA said:

@JustAMacUser said:
    @MikeA,

That test is completely useless, you should use FIO and adjust the block size to the RAM, otherwise you are comparing apples to oranges.

@nik said:

@MikeA said:

@JustAMacUser said:
    @MikeA,

That test is completely useless, you should use FIO and adjust the block size to the RAM, otherwise you are comparing apples to oranges.

I have never had a reason to use fio, so don't know any of the parameters. Thanks for your constructive criticism without offering any useful information.

• Personally, I use OVH SSD 1 (2 of them), it is quite stable and I have not had problems with CPU (Sometimes I've hight load for some hours).

A few weeks ago they had a problem in BHS, but it was only the network, the VPS did not restart at any time, I do not remember other incidents.

About support, I only opened one ticket and get an answer in ~15 minutes.

The DDoS protection works like a charm, at least for my apps :)

Thanked by 1auds6868
  • I really like the OVH SSD VPSes, here's a Geekbench4 of an OVH SSD VPS 1: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/3091983

Thanked by 1JustAMacUser
  • Go with OVH if you want a lot of IPs.

• sureiamsureiam Member
    edited November 2017

If you have had good experience with ram node you should write them and ask if they can match it. A long time user might have a little pull. It's best to stick with what you know imo. Reward those that have served you well

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited November 2017

Really surprised that no one has mentioned the recent extended outage by OVH.

My OVH VPS SSD in SBG4 was down for 9+ hours in that event.

And I just woke up this morning and noticed a 5 minute downtime on my OVH
    VPS SSD in GRA.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @jiggawattz said:
    And I just woke up this morning and noticed a 5 minute downtime on my OVH
    VPS SSD in GRA.

Running 5 minutes checks? :P Because it was down for less

• Nope - 1 minute checks from 3 different locations. 4-5 minute downtime reported by my monitor.

• Just for the sake of it: one thing that has not been mentioned here but is actually rather important (at least to me): on OVH, IPs are priced one-off. Pay once and never pay again.
    That can add up to a significant price difference depending on your usage scenario.

Thanked by 1auds6868
  • @AnthonySmith said:

Are you going to charge VAT on that? Those prices for NVMe look really good

• AnthonySmith said:

Oh what are you doing to me. I gotta sign up just to try out the NVMe experience even though I don't need a UK server at all. Well, solidarity and all that.

• dergelbedergelbe Member
    edited November 2017

Here is my complete list of problems I had with RamNode over the last few years:

End of list

This in itself is a problem, because when you look at other providers, in terms of reliability it can't get better.

(I don't know OVH, they might be equally good)

• JackHJackH Member
    edited November 2017

Gonna throw HostHatch in the mix too. Really pleased with their performance and support back when I used them for a project a while ago! They've also got Sweden as a location which makes a nice change :D

Half a dedicated core, 2GB RAM, 20GB NVMe, 1TB BW for only $5
    Also supports BGP, custom ISO and has an awesome panel - not sure about getting additional IPs through them though. Probably worth whacking in a support ticket to find out :-)

https://hosthatch.com/ssd-vps (non-aff)
    https://hosthatch.com/a?id=722 (aff)

• Thanks. Really just deciding between RamNode and OVH though (maybe BuyVM too because of their reputation and location).

• OVH SSD, cause maybe i didn't know about ramnode ** score** because i'm not using it.
    so far ovh was great, and great +++ after they come to SEA region (sg and aus)

• Thanks for your feedback everyone.

I think I'm going to try OVH's VPS SSD 1 or VPS SSD 2. I'll have time to play around with it before any renewals come up from other providers.

A couple questions for those who have the VPS SSD line:

1. Does OVH let you set rDNS/PTR records for IPs in their VPS SSD product line?
    2. I need a bit more storage than the 10 GB that SSD 1 provides. Is it better to go with the add-on storage (second drive) or just go up to the SSD 2 product? (Looking for your experience with performance, connectivity, etc. when using add-on drives.)

Thanks.