Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pay as you go CDN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Pay as you go CDN

Hi,

I am interested in a Pas as you go CDN with no static money deposit. I want to pay for as much as I use without depositing x amount.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

CloudFront and DreamHost's CDN offering (only charge you when your balance reaches $5.50).

If you want to save money per GB then you're going to need to deposit credit with a smaller provider, and I would recommend BunnyCDN in that case.

• @Harambe said:
    CloudFront and DreamHost's CDN offering (only charge you when your balance reaches $5.50).

If you want to save money per GB then you're going to need to deposit credit with a smaller provider, and I would recommend BunnyCDN in that case.

CloudFront seems to be great. It also has the free tier.

• Harambe said: I would recommend BunnyCDN

Seconded. Dejan is active on Discord as well, and is incredibly responsive to requests and questions from what I've witnessed.

Thanked by 3Rhys J1021 BunnySpeed
  • +1 for BunnyCDN

Thanked by 2Rhys BunnySpeed
  • Junkless said: +1 for BunnyCDN

They do have a min yearly recharge $10, so it's not exactly pay as you go option.

Thanked by 1WHT
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I'd use BunnyCDN 100% yes, there is a minimum deposit, but Dejan has to eat somehow.

• CUTACUTA Member
    edited September 2017

KeyCDN
    https://www.keycdn.com/pricing

Pay As You Go (PAYG)
    You don't need to buy any packages. Unlike other CDN providers we don't sell you a package which doesn't fit afterwards.

• @CUTA said:
    KeyCDN

Pay As You Go (PAYG)
    You don't need to buy any packages. Unlike other CDN providers we don't sell you a package which doesn't fit afterwards.

I don't need to make any deposit?

• CUTACUTA Member
    edited September 2017

@drdrake said:

@CUTA said:
    KeyCDN

Pay As You Go (PAYG)

It's like Digital Ocean, Vultr, but there is a bit higher minimum payment which is about $49. You have to pay this much, then it gives you virtual credits in return. You then use this virtual credits for paying as you go. I think this is worth if you spend over 1TB in each year which is quite possible, otherwise I don't see how it's beneficial as the credits are expired after a year later.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • So it isn't pay as you go option either.

• ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

5centscdn.net will fit with your needs well.

• @CUTA said:

@drdrake said:

@CUTA said:
    KeyCDN

Pay As You Go (PAYG)

It's like Digital Ocean, Vultr, but there is a bit higher minimum payment which is about $49. You have to pay this much, then it gives you virtual credits in return. You then use this virtual credits for paying as you go. I think this is worth if you spend over 1TB in each year which is quite possible, otherwise I don't see how it's beneficial as the credits are expired after a year later.

That's not pay as you go at all. I am using minimal resources just to test CDN and maybe apply it to all my sites. I went for Cloudfront

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed
  • @ElliotJ said:

Harambe said: I would recommend BunnyCDN

Seconded. Dejan is active on Discord as well, and is incredibly responsive to requests and questions from what I've witnessed.

Active as in pissed 99.9% of the time from useless tickets? lol

Thanked by 1ElliotJ
  • CUTACUTA Member
    edited September 2017

It's in fact pay as you go. It's just you have to deposit a few bucks in your credit account, then you use them for their service. Now you said here you need minimal resources, then it's not for you I guess depending on what you meant by minimal. don't forget that credits are valid for a year, If you don't use 1TB per year, then it means you are not supposed to use CDN at all. You could perhaps try jetpack in wordpress, it's a free good CDN.

@drdrake said:

@CUTA said:

@drdrake said:

@CUTA said:
    KeyCDN

Pay As You Go (PAYG)

That's not pay as you go at all. I am using minimal resources just to test CDN and maybe apply it to all my sites. I went for Cloudfront

• BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep

@CUTA said:
    If you don't use 1TB per year, then it means you are not supposed to use CDN at all.

Did you really just write that? :|

Thanked by 2caracal HyperSpeed
  • @CUTA said:
    If you don't use 1TB per year, then it means you are not supposed to use CDN at all

You clearly stupid :-) No offence.

Thanked by 1corbpie
  • You don't have to be rude. at least you could explain, if you are that much pro, why I was wrong instead of being rude.

@Zerpy said:

@CUTA said:
    If you don't use 1TB per year, then it means you are not supposed to use CDN at all

You clearly stupid :-) No offence.

• @CUTA said:
    You don't have to be rude. at least you could explain, if you are that much pro, why I was wrong instead of being rude.

I'm not rude.

So - using a CDN has nothing to do how much traffic you offload, but rather if you optimize the performance for your end-users, even with less than 1 terabyte traffic a year you can still manage to hit a cache-hit ratio of 99%+ of your content to your end-users, thus moving the files closer to end-users and optimizing both the actual but also perceived performance that users experience when content loads faster.

Now depending on what kind of traffic you serve, it's still very possible that on 1 terabyte of traffic you can actually manage to offload roughly half a billion requests (or more) to a CDN.

Now in my case, I happen to host a site that loads a total of 215 files via a CDN, a total of 871 kilobyte. That puts the average file size at 4 kilobyte.

1 terabyte is roughly 1099511627776 bytes, 1099511627776 / 4000 = 274.8 million requests, That's 780k a day, 32.5k per hour, but since sites tend to shift in traffic, then it's save to say that a given site easily hits 60-65k requests per hour during peak - or 18 requests per second.

Now 18 requests per second isn't much - but hey, it's still enough traffic to actually benefit from a CDN.

Now this is taken with an example of 4kb requests, I've seen sites doing small javascript snippets being in the range of around 150 bytes - making it 7.3 billion requests per year or roughly 20 million requests per day, which is 232 requests per second 24/7/365.

Both valid points to use a CDN - also even if your site has larger assets it still 90% of the time will speed up the content delivery, which gives better overall performance, which we both know increases conversion rates on websites, thus increasing revenue.

You can do a lot more with 1 terabyte of traffic than you think. Stating otherwise is just silly and shows that you do not really know what you're talking about.

But oh well :-) I have no experience in the CDN business other than serving hundreds of gigabit of traffic, with stuff ranging from 50 bytes to gigabytes in request size.

• CUTACUTA Member
    edited September 2017

First you are rude. You might not be able to hangout with people out there in real world with that attitudes. Take my advice and never call people stupid even if they were. nobody is stupid, they are either uninformed/uneducated or intelligent than you.

Second it's true CDN is quite useful, but it's not a NEED, but more like a reliever. A server works just fine with caching, using public scripts hosted in google (jquery)/maxcdn (like bootstrap), nginx, varnish cache etc.. there are so many techniques that you can do within the server to optimize the content delivery. A cheap VPS like digitalocean, vultr provide nearly 1TB bandwidth per month, it means roughly 12TB per year. so you have all the bandwidth in your VPS, so why someone spends for a CDN to relieve the burden of the server? Buying a CDN is a waste of money unless you deliver like TB of data per months and the speed and latency really matters.

I will show you why CDN is a waste of money with proofs. I am sure most of the people here are interested to save money, right? we are in this lowendtalk because we want to save money or we don't have money. Otherwise you don't have to be here, you can go and get highest package from DigitalOcean and Maxcdn CDN and forget about everything.

Use this calculator, and calculate like this
    for 16384 GB (16TB) it costs $629.82 / month, but you can get this bandwidth from linode
    https://www.linode.com/pricing#all
    for just $160 / mo. It provides the same 16TB bandwidth per month.! Now you get that correctly?
    Why spend $629.82 per month to increase a couple of seconds of delivery when you could spend $160 and get the same job done. Sure it might increase the delivery time a bit, and server might get hammered with getting a large amount of requests, but that load is not much in this Linode 24GB package (or any other higher tiers) with caches, nginx, and varnish. You should know that when you go above higher tiers you get faster servers, they can handle millions of requests easily.

CDN might decrease the content delivery time, for instance for someone who is from australia can download a file quickly if the file is hosted in australia or new zealand, but you don't need a CDN to speed up the content delivery because nowadays the Internet is extremely fast, that much faster speed is really needed for critical applications that latency matter most like video games.

If you have enough money, sure throw as much as money to buy even a server farm to host just a wordpress site, but we middle class and poor people have to think about the cost. You have to think about the cost, profit, productivity, effort like everything before making a decision otherwise it's waste of time, resources and money.

anyway I am done arguing with you all. This is a waste of time.

@Zerpy said:

@CUTA said:
    You don't have to be rude. at least you could explain, if you are that much pro, why I was wrong instead of being rude.

I'm not rude.

So - using a CDN has nothing to do how much traffic you offload, but rather if you optimize the performance for your end-users, even with less than 1 terabyte traffic a year you can still manage to hit a cache-hit ratio of 99%+ of your content to your end-users, thus moving the files closer to end-users and optimizing both the actual but also perceived performance that users experience when content loads faster.

Now depending on what kind of traffic you serve, it's still very possible that on 1 terabyte of traffic you can actually manage to offload roughly half a billion requests (or more) to a CDN.

Now in my case, I happen to host a site that loads a total of 215 files via a CDN, a total of 871 kilobyte. That puts the average file size at 4 kilobyte.

1 terabyte is roughly 1099511627776 bytes, 1099511627776 / 4000 = 274.8 million requests, That's 780k a day, 32.5k per hour, but since sites tend to shift in traffic, then it's save to say that a given site easily hits 60-65k requests per hour during peak - or 18 requests per second.

Now 18 requests per second isn't much - but hey, it's still enough traffic to actually benefit from a CDN.

Now this is taken with an example of 4kb requests, I've seen sites doing small javascript snippets being in the range of around 150 bytes - making it 7.3 billion requests per year or roughly 20 million requests per day, which is 232 requests per second 24/7/365.

Both valid points to use a CDN - also even if your site has larger assets it still 90% of the time will speed up the content delivery, which gives better overall performance, which we both know increases conversion rates on websites, thus increasing revenue.

You can do a lot more with 1 terabyte of traffic than you think. Stating otherwise is just silly and shows that you do not really know what you're talking about.

But oh well :-) I have no experience in the CDN business other than serving hundreds of gigabit of traffic, with stuff ranging from 50 bytes to gigabytes in request size.

• Jesus fuck this guy has been registered since December and just decides to parlay his wonders in the last week?

Thanked by 1corbpie
  • BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2017

@CUTA said:

I think you're really missing the point of CDNs. They are used to increase the speed times and as a result increase conversion rates etc. Saying that the internet is fast enough is just another point that you're missing. I can have 10 gigabits and the site on the other side of the continent will still take a few seconds to load. It has nothing to do with volume. There has been a ton of research poured into this: https://blog.kissmetrics.com/loading-time/

Sure there's the use case where you're serving hundreds of terabytes per month, but this is not what the debate is about here.

(not trying to be rude)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @CUTA said:
    First you are rude. You might not be able to hangout with people out there in real world with that attitudes. Take my advice and never call people stupid even if they were. nobody is stupid, they are either uninformed/uneducated or intelligent than you.

I call people stupid when they're stupid, if they can't hear reality, maybe they shouldn't try to be in this cruel world.

fact is that you're wrong.

Second it's true CDN is quite useful, but it's not a NEED, but more like a reliever.

Let me quote yourself:

@CUTA said:
    then it means you are not supposed to use CDN at all

You used the sentence "You are not supposed to use CDN at all" - that's basically saying, you shouldn't use it, regardless of anything.

A server works just fine with caching, using public scripts hosted in google (jquery)/maxcdn (like bootstrap), nginx, varnish cache etc..

Why use Google CDN or MaxCDN, since there's clearly no use of a CDN?
    What about the rest of the assets?

nginx/varnish cache - sucks if your provider do not offer this in their hosting plans, because then you'll have to run a VPS (Let's say roughly 60 USD a year), maintain another box etc etc.

there are so many techniques that you can do within the server to optimize the content delivery. > A cheap VPS like digitalocean, vultr provide nearly 1TB bandwidth per month, it means roughly 12TB per year. so you have all the bandwidth in your VPS, so why someone spends for a CDN to relieve the burden of the server?

And how does the cheap VPS at vultr, DO or similar distribute the content closer to your users?

It doesn't.

BunnyCDN will set you back 120 USD for 12 terabytes of traffic - that's worth the money, I don't know about you, but even if I have to spend 2 hours every year on maintaining a box, and pay 60 USD (5x 12 if math isn't good) - that's pretty much worth 120 USD or more.

Buying a CDN is a waste of money unless you deliver like TB of data per months and the speed and latency really matters.

Isn't buying a VPS also waste of money?

I will show you why CDN is a waste of money with proofs. I am sure most of the people here are interested to save money, right? we are in this lowendtalk because we want to save money or we don't have money. Otherwise you don't have to be here, you can go and get highest package from DigitalOcean and Maxcdn CDN and forget about everything.

Some of us are here because it's a great community and not just to save money - but oh well.

Use this calculator, and calculate like this
    for 16384 GB (16TB) it costs $629.82 / month, but you can get this bandwidth from linode
    https://www.linode.com/pricing#all
    for just $160 / mo. It provides the same 16TB bandwidth per month.! Now you get that correctly?

Or use someone else than KeyCDN that is cheaper.
    Your point is invalid, also because you forget something called "time", and time is money.

Why spend $629.82 per month to increase a couple of seconds of delivery when you could spend $160 and get the same job done.

$160 + additional time - or just pay $160 to BunnyCDN for the same 16 TB that you get.
    No maintenance of a server, nothing - just let other people take care of the infrastructure.

You should know that when you go above higher tiers you get faster servers, they can handle millions of requests easily.

You just get more resources, not faster servers, at least at DO, Vultr and Linode :-)

but you don't need a CDN to speed up the content delivery because nowadays the Internet is extremely fast

The speed of light haven't changed :-) So you're wrong.

that much faster speed is really needed for critical applications that latency matter most like video games.

Or e-commerce sites, or many other things where your revenue, customer satisfaction or conversion rates actually increases when sites or content loads faster.

• WHTWHT Member
    edited September 2017

KeyCDN sucks. If you have still $40 left, they will remove them on the end of the year. Moved from there. Not recommended.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2017

BunnyCDN is premium, recommended.

• vineethvineeth Member
    edited November 2017

5centsCDN will fit your need. https://www.5centscdn.net/pay-as-you-go-cdn.html

https://payg.5centscdn.net/

@drdrake said:
    Hi,

I am interested in a Pas as you go CDN with no static money deposit. I want to pay for as much as I use without depositing x amount.

Any suggestions?