Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a VPS (more details inside)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a VPS (more details inside)

IvanIvan Member
edited April 2013 in General

Hey there, so I'm looking for a VPS.
Basically I need one that'll provide good connection for users in the Southeast Asia region.
I heard LA & San Diego are good locations.. Is Atlanta any good? Ramnode currently has a good 35% off for their 512MB SSD-cached VPS. BitAccel on the other hand has also a good offer for a nice 2GB server but their servers are located in Buffalo NY which I heard isn't good for Asia users.

I'm not looking for any specific specs but hopefully someone could hook me up a nice server with a "LEB" price.

It'll also be better if I could get one from a provider that allows torrents/seeding, it's not a must and it isn't necessary but it'll be great because maybe, just maybe, I'd like to just try and see how seeding works on a server (eg. using a VPS as a seedbox), and then later downloading the files from the server. Just for personal use but if a provider doesn't allow torrenting but has a great offer I'd still go for it.

Hopefully I can find an offer here otherwise I might just go with a $5 DigitalOcean server as a start..

Thanks in advance, extra points to those who accept Visa debit cards.

Comments

• @teohkay said: I'd like to just try and see how seeding works on a server (eg. using a VPS as a seedbox)

it works the exact same way

really

• budingyunbudingyun Member
    edited April 2013

I recommending @francisco BuyVM. :D

• IvanIvan Member
    edited April 2013

@skirtTight said: it works the exact same way

really

haha, alright then, but I guess what they call "seedboxes" are specifically for seeding, and I think just getting a VPS would be better. I heard BuyVM allow torrenting though, but I'm more focused on getting a better deal. Hopefully some providers will reply soon :)

@budingyun said: I recommending @francisco BuyVM. :D

Yeah, I also have had my eyes on BuyVM.. is Vegas a good location for Asia users? Hopefully I could strike a nice deal for their 1GB plan when they have one or I'll have to just go for their 512MB plan.

• NodeDeploy have/had a $7/2GB KVM special going. It's out of stock but you could give them a yell and see if they've got any they can free up.

@BradND @BenND @PhilND

• IvanIvan Member

@ihatetonyy said: NodeDeploy have/had a $7/2GB KVM special going.

Thanks, they look pretty sweet. Sorry but what's the difference between KVM and OVZ? Kind of a newbie here.

• @ihatetonyy

Thanks for the recommendation, we actually have 7 of these bad boys back in stock -- will update stock levels now ;-)

• @teohkay said: Thanks, they look pretty sweet. Sorry but what's the difference between KVM and OVZ? Kind of a newbie here.

To you, it won't really matter.

It's just that kvm emulates hardware and makes your vps behave more like a real server.

But it isn't a good idea unless you need it or you really really want to prevent being in an oversold node.

• IvanIvan Member
    edited April 2013

@BradND said: @ihatetonyy

Thanks for the recommendation, we actually have 7 of these bad boys back in stock -- will update stock levels now ;-)

Hey, it's nice. Do you guys allow torrents? Would you recommend UK, LA or Germany for someone in Southeast Asia? Your deals look good.

EDIT: just read the post further and see you guys do not allow torrents. Nvm, I'll still consider

• @teohkay said: Sorry but what's the difference between KVM and OVZ? Kind of a newbie here.

You have a bit more flexibility in terms of OS and kernel and guaranteed resources.

• @teohkay said: what's the difference between KVM and OVZ?

In this case, you are better off with OVZ.

• IvanIvan Member
    edited April 2013

I see. Well I'll put their 2GB LA KVM & 2GB UK OVZ plan on my list while I wait for more offers hopefully.

• KVM is full virtualisation and has better CPU cycle sharing, disk and ram is unable to be resold (e.g you get exactly what you are given)

For asia, many clients choose LA since it'll give you the lowest ping and latency. We allow legal torrents as long as you don't slam the network 24/7 with a gbit of traffic.

• @BradND said: slam the network 24/7 with a gbit of traffic

And the io maybe.

• IvanIvan Member

Nah, it's alright, I won't be doing anything heavy and it's only rarely. Mostly legal torrents but sometimes I'd download some things for VFX, motion graphics, etc as I'm also learning VFX but I can't afford paid tutorial videos and plugins for After Effects, so I might just download them and then use the VPS to seed them so I wouldn't be so much of a leecher, but I don't mind doing that on my home network if the provider doesn't allow it. + I'm a newbie so I have no idea how to even abuse the IO/hard drive.

• IvanIvan Member

Yeah, I read your thread and I'm looking at it again now to see what providers were mentioned. Btw, I'm from Malaysia, do you happen to be from Malaysia too? Also what's the name of your VPN service? Just curious.

• @teohkay yes i am from Malaysia too
    This is my VPN service https://www.finchvpn.com/
    And btw, i would suggest you to go for BuyVM as starter. I took their offer when i was starting out back then
    It's quite an affoardable price i must say

• IvanIvan Member
    edited April 2013

@johnlth93 said: yes i am from Malaysia too

This is my VPN service https://www.finchvpn.com/
    And btw, i would suggest you to go for BuyVM as starter. I took their offer when i was starting out back then
    It's quite an affoardable price i must say

Wow, nice to see a fellow Malaysian here. Good luck on your VPN service, it seems pretty well established, to say. I might just go for BuyVM, they seem like a pretty good choice too aside from Nodedeploy. Both good, but I'd like to see if I could strike up a good deal.

• Check out my sig, San Diego SSD

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited April 2013

We offer VPS in 6 locations, see my signature for more info.

• IvanIvan Member
    edited April 2013

Really feel like going for BitAccel but it's in Buffalo. Anymore offers, anyone? Maybe I just posted this on the wrong time.. most people are asleep.

@Ishaq said: We offer VPS in 6 locations, see my signature for more info.

Got your reply just right after I posted this, alright, checking it out. Is there currently any offers for Blue4? Everything's out of stock right now though.

• @teohkay said: Nodedeploy

never tried nodedeploy so i wont be commenting about it

• @teohkay BitAccel is fine as long as you understand it is in NY. If you want to test speed or want a test file please PM me. I shall be happy to allow you to mess with my box with them ;)

• IshaqIshaq Member

@teohkay said: Got your reply just right after I posted this, alright, checking it out. Is there currently any offers for Blue4? Everything's out of stock right now though.

We have space, not on the site as everyone finishes it off so fast. What location are you interested in?

• IvanIvan Member
    edited April 2013

@peppr said: @teohkay BitAccel is fine as long as you understand it is in NY. If you want to test speed or want a test file please PM me. I shall be happy to allow you to mess with my box with them ;)

Yeah. Currently it's for personal use until me and my friends begin working on things. We're in the midst of building a flash game and probably putting it up as a Facebook app. Your current offer is recurring/lifetime right? haha.

@Ishaq said: What location are you interested in?

Hmm, anything that has the best latency/ping times to Asia, or specifically Southeast Asia.

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited April 2013

@teohkay said: Hmm, anything that has the best latency/ping times to Asia, or specifically Southeast Asia.

California?

• IvanIvan Member
    edited April 2013

@Ishaq said: California?

Yeah, California would be the best. Though $10 is a bit over my budget since I'm just a kid and I have other education-related things I have to pay for :/ Otherwise the specs are great for Blue4.

• @teohkay said: I'm just a kid

I thought ur taukeh ;)

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@teohkay - grab an Atlanta VPS with us now, and you can be moved to our new Seattle location in a couple weeks. :)

• IvanIvan Member

@peppr said: I thought ur taukeh ;)

Never implied that before :P What's with the asian slang eh? :)