Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you have a problem with ZxHost? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you have a problem with ZxHost?

Comments

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2017

Hold on folks, we're moving on...

Update 4:44PM GMT

We are now booting VM's please be paiteance (sic) as it may take time for your VM to be booted by our system. You may check the VM via NoVNC if the VM is showing as running.

Mine is still reporting "Configuration file does not exist" in WHMCS but this update sounds promising.

Would be a great suprise if - whatever Ashley did - could also solve the severe performance problems I am encountering since the migration to the new infrastructure. We'll see.

Edit: Meh, still time to wait. As mentioned in the update mail which just came in, there seems to be a severe bug in CEPH preventing the storage from remaining stable. However, at least it was confirmed that our data is safe. For those of us who use this service to incrementally backup their personal data from a private dsl line with limited upload, this will safe us a lot of time. So, keeping fingers crossed, and let's hope they'll be able to fix this bug soon. Would be great if this doesn't mean to wait for several weeks of fsck'ing in the near future. :)

• @magicvpn said:

@deank said:
    You are a user, so nothing wrong with that. It's the host that's noob.
    @deank said:
    Only a noob host would claim 100% SLA.

This doesn't mean the service has a 100% uptime (which is not possible), you will get refunded for the downtime.

this. there is nowhere said that the host claims 100% uptime. he provides an SLA which he calls "100% blabla SLA" because he refunds (on request) even if smallest downtimes (4 minutes a day) occur.

I'd say given the pricing range that's pretty clever wording to say: 'here are your 2 cents!' ;-)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • We have been making progress and only have a small subset of OSD's still being affected by the two Bug's in CEPH 12.2.x, we attempted to start some VM's however lost too many OSD's again.

To make sure that all data is kept consident and safe we have been advised to continue to remove all Client I/O from the storage system while it rebuilds & recovers.

We want to get your VM back online as soon as possible however wish to minimise and reduce any chance of data corruption due to client I/O (Read & Writes) during this point.

A further email will be sent out once we have been confirmed we are able to go ahead with the start of the VM's.

I can confirm your data is safe and held on the OSD's, however due to the 2 bug's within the CEPH Subsystem we are unable to keep these OSD's online to proccess the I/O requests to these PG's (Files / Objects)

By nature CEPH is built to be redundant, however it seem's due to a lack of QA on a recent release this has caused us to loose the redundant protection due to a software wide bug.

After this issue is resolved we will be sending out a further update with the future direction of your services.

• Further update:
    we are dead in the pool lol, but your data is safe lol²

• Think that's a bit unfair @shot2. He's communicating which is more than most deadpoolers

• A lot of that went over my head, but I'm seeing that our data should be intact still? In theory, at least. I'm happy for the fix to take however long is necessary as long as everything's how it was at the end of it.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

To me, claiming 100% SLA involves a lot of needless paperwork. If a host is small enough, I might bother. But if it's big, nah.

• No email until this afternoon but VPS is still up. Storage seems to be struggling though and current system load is ~250

Also I'm a bit disappointed with the move to the new infrastructure. Wasn't informed that it would no longer be KVM and moved to France. Control panel is not working but got access to Proxmox GUI to get some information about the server. Disk speed has been a bit up and down too.

But hey for the price it isn't too bad and I'm only using it as a secondary backup.

• @michaels said:
    Think that's a bit unfair @shot2. He's communicating which is more than most deadpoolers

Yup, missa was just being silly :P

No critical data stored, very low price, regular updates when down, nothin' to complain about.

• cez said: Wasn't informed that it would no longer be KVM and moved to France.

wat? don't take too much from the pink ones...

• Anyone got his server back online already?

We are now booting VM's please be paiteance as it may take time for your VM to be booted by our system. You may check the VM via NoVNC if the VM is showing as running.

But nothing happened so far.

• nope mine still down

• @chrisp said:
    Anyone got his server back online already?

We are now booting VM's please be paiteance as it may take time for your VM to be booted by our system. You may check the VM via NoVNC if the VM is showing as running.

But nothing happened so far.

If you read all the updates correctly they then mention after said update that there has been an issue with a drive and a ceph bug

• The time details in their updates suggests the most recent entry is on the bottom. Well, however, I hope they fix it soon.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited November 2017

cez said: Also I'm a bit disappointed with the move to the new infrastructure. Wasn't informed that it would no longer be KVM and moved to France. Control panel is not working but got access to Proxmox GUI to get some information about the server. Disk speed has been a bit up and down too.

+1

Anyone tell me why it seems that I get error messages in my logs that don't have to do with my container?
    I don't run Plex.

1 Time(s): [2220894.332897] Memory cgroup out of memory: Kill process 27203 (Plex Script Hos) score 46 or sacrifice child 1 Time(s): [2220894.333751] Killed process 27203 (Plex Script Hos) total-vm:4908556kB, anon-rss:240420kB, file-rss:0kB, shmem-rss:0kB

• @lurch said:
    nope mine still down

still down too. im getting fired.

• @emptyPD said:

@lurch said:
    nope mine still down

deploy an hourly instance somewhere and put your backups in to have something running instead of waiting. you might want to switch back, once it's on again...

• @FrankZ said:

what product do you have with zxhost that is affected and where you're currently looking at it?

and what's the fuss about not kvm and france?

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • @Falzo said:

@emptyPD said:

@lurch said:
    nope mine still down

deploy an hourly instance somewhere and put your backups in to have something running instead of waiting. you might want to switch back, once it's on again...

the backup server is in zxhost too. last week the instances were in different DCs, but they moved the production server to the same DC (Proxmox) this days, and i didnt fire a backup in another place...

so .. yes... im f.... right now.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited November 2017

Falzo said: what product do you have with zxhost that is affected and where you're currently looking at it?

and what's the fuss about not kvm and france?

I was in Germany on 120 GB KVM LET storage special (15.99 pounds a year) for the past year and a half. About a month ago it was migrated to an LXC container in France with double memory.
    Log entries come from the /var/log/messages file on my container.(CentOS)

EDIT: The server was really good up until the move

• @emptyPD said:
    im running critical production stuff on zxhost, and yes i have learned the lesson, now can someone please recommend another similar provider with good storage? obviously not as cheap like zx, but something with good price/quality relation? i need 2 cores, 3-4 gb ram, and 250+GB scalable, 1TB if not scalable.

thanks in advance guys.

so please if you can recommend something. i will appreciate.

• @emptyPD said:
    im running critical production stuff on zxhost, and yes i have learned the lesson, now can someone please recommend another similar provider with good storage? obviously not as cheap like zx, but something with good price/quality relation? i need 2 cores, 3-4 gb ram, and 250+GB scalable, 1TB if not scalable.

thanks in advance guys.

Get yourself a cheap Kimsufi or Dedibox whenever they're on sale... Perfect for "critical production stuff" (lolwtfbbq) - and then you wouldn't put all your eggs in the same basket (= the very first sentence in any Computer Disaster Avoidance 101 textbook)

Thanked by 1professionalxen
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

FrankZ said: About a month ago it was migrated to an LXC container in France with double memory.

wat

Francisco

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited November 2017

Francisco said: Francisco

??

• aaraya1516aaraya1516 Member
    edited November 2017

@Francisco said:

FrankZ said: About a month ago it was migrated to an LXC container in France with double memory.

wat

Francisco

I'm guessing his KVM was killed and an LXC container was created. Not a migration.

EDIT: I guess it can be converted, but I don't know how well that works: https://wiki.deimos.fr/LXC_:_Install_and_configure_the_Linux_Containers#Convert.2FMigrate_a_VM.2FHost_to_a_LXC_container

• FrankZ said: I was in Germany on 120 GB KVM LET storage special (15.99 pounds a year) for the past year and a half. About a month ago it was migrated to an LXC container in France with double memory.

okay, thanks a lot for clarifying!

but afaik the actual problems are about the bigger storage specials (1TB / 2TB) running on ceph and those are still in germany and kvm ;-)
    can't tell if there is anything wrong in france at the moment and if this related to the ceph issues (more or less doubt it though).

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited November 2017

aaraya1516 said: I'm guessing his KVM was killed and an LXC container was created. Not a migration.

correct. But was not told the new VPS was LXC not KVM.

Falzo said: but afaik the actual problems are about the bigger storage specials (1TB / 2TB) running on ceph and those are still in germany and kvm ;-)

ok, sorry didn't know I was off topic.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

aaraya1516 said: I'm guessing his KVM was killed and an LXC container was created. Not a migration.

OK that's fine then, it sounded like they converted his VM w/o telling him at first.

Francisco

• @emptyPD said:

@emptyPD said:

thanks in advance guys.

so please if you can recommend something. i will appreciate.

if you are looking for europe or germany it won't be cheap anyways. for storage VMs you'd either get low core/ram or it's gonna cost money.

netcup offer 1.5TB fast SAS space with 1core and 2GB: https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=1515
    or a tad cheaper, quite a lot of ressources with only 480GB SAS: https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=1557

for US speedykvm might have some interesting plans: https://speedykvm.com/ though I probably wouldn't go mission critical on their cheap ones raid5 or raid0 either...

• @Falzo said:

FrankZ said: I was in Germany on 120 GB KVM LET storage special (15.99 pounds a year) for the past year and a half. About a month ago it was migrated to an LXC container in France with double memory.

okay, thanks a lot for clarifying!

but afaik the actual problems are about the bigger storage specials (1TB / 2TB) running on ceph and those are still in germany and kvm ;-)
    can't tell if there is anything wrong in france at the moment and if this related to the ceph issues (more or less doubt it though).

Nope I got the 2TB special, was KVM and Germany. Now LXC and France. Still uses Ceph storage and it's having a hard time atm.

Thanked by 2Falzo FrankZ