Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is shared kernel virtualisation relevant anymore? Is LXC the next step? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is shared kernel virtualisation relevant anymore? Is LXC the next step?

2»

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@trewq said:

They take them away because it's more profitable long term for them to have IPs available for new server/clients that constantly buy new services.

Exactly. I'd rather sell a VPS for $30 than an addon IP for $3.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

I love containers... on my own hardware. Unless I need KVM, pretty much everything is running in OpenVZ (really need to upgrade a couple Proxmox 3 servers...) or LXC.

Almost completely KVM for VPS's I rent though, except for some insanely special deals or stuff that's been super reliable for years and I see no need to move it (Ramnode OVZ with over 3 years uptime, SecureDragon boxes that I never hear a blip from on my monitoring).

Thanked by 1WSS
  • edited November 2017

From a hosters perspective, containers are great because the overhead is far better. An enduser will see a much better I/O and response on a container than a KVM, in general. Yes it is a little easier to oversell but you can just as easily load up a KVM Node and make the end users experience bad.

I am going to really miss SIMFS OpenVZ. Even with OVZ 7 you will lose some features with SIMFS so it doesn't make any sense to use that anymore.

Let me tell you why SIMFS was so great. Something you almost never read anywhere. I can run a virus scanner or file search on the entire server including all containers, because containers are just folders with SIMFS. Also makes it easy to do lots of other things. So SIMFS was great from an administrators point of view. Really going to miss it.

Just this week my virus scanner picked up a new exploit hitting some containers. Bam! I had the hackers shut down before they even had a chance to take advantage. Can't really do that on anything besides SIMFS. At least not practically/easily.

• edited November 2017

@Neoon said:
    I guess, since people are in for cheap vm's sure they gonna pick stuff such as OpenVZ or LXC, but if you are paranoid and want performance.

Dedis are the future, just wait, a few times in a year, offers drop with a price so deep, you will never ever buy a shitty container again.

But for the majority, sure they will keep buying it.

You are in this end user mindset that OVZ is lower end for some reason. Most people don't know or care about the differences anyways and don't know how to set up Dedi's themselves. Yes, you can do the pointy clicky thing to install pre-made images with providers like OVH but you will still need to know your way around Linux at some point.

I sell dedicated servers but I put the customer on an OpenVZ container. The dedi part is that they have the whole server to themselves. At the same time, I don't give them root access to the dedi, where they can easily screw up something. They still get close to 100% of the performance they would if they were directly on the Dedi. Can also add more containers if they want. Also makes it super easy to migrate them to another Dedi. Just as easy as it is to migrate any other container. It's a very flexible way to do things if it fits your business model.

• @KuJoe said:
    I looked into it but I still don't trust ploop yet. Although adding KVM support into the OVZ 7 kernel was an interesting move. :)

Ploop, there goes your filesystem.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • edited November 2017

@FlamesRunner said:

@KuJoe said:
    I looked into it but I still don't trust ploop yet. Although adding KVM support into the OVZ 7 kernel was an interesting move. :)

Ploop, there goes your filesystem.

They did not add KVM as far as I know. KVM is already there. Maybe just the hooks so it can talk to their API. OVZ7 kernel is probably about 95% stock kernel with a few extra things added. They were striving for 100% stock kernel but it doesn't give them some very important things including better security. All disadvantages of LXC although LXD is looking a little more interesting. Still not as good as OVZ7 yet, and you are married to Canonical/Ubuntu with LXC/LXD since nobody else is supporting it anymore.

Ubuntu is fine for desktop but CentOS/Debian is superior for server usage imo. Not sure where Debian is at with LXC/LXD but pretty sure Redhat has walked away.

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

Yea, ploop has its benefits, but also had its pitfalls.

Our openvz and kvm are priced the same, but openvz still sells more. I think it's because of its simplicity. The larger the VPS, KVM makes more sense and runs more efficiently.

I don't think the technology will change much because VPS are for those small quick services, niche like, otherwise customers jump to a dedicated system.

• I would rather have something with >= 4 cpu and enough ram to run my own kubernetes. or at least >=2 cpu and enough ram to run something based on docker compose. But for static content no one can beat shared hosting in terms of price, even s3

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

LosPollosHermanos said: They did not add KVM as far as I know. KVM is already there.

KVM support is not available in the OpenVZ 6 kernel so it's nice that it's available in the OpenVZ 7 kernel. They've also added the ability to manage both OpenVZ and KVM with a single tool (prlctl).