Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone with Freenom?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone with Freenom?

So not having any actual issues with them but my uptimerobot shows that their ns01 and ns02 have an uptime of 0.00% and 0.75% which is a bit odd. Either it's uptimerobot or only ns03 and ns04 are fully functional (100% uptime) though. When I tried to ping ns01.freenom.com and ns02.freenom.com it timed out.

Comments

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Have a few free domains with them, but certainly not using their dns. Switch everything over to cloudflare once the domain is mine.

Did have one issue with them taking back a domain for inactivity even though it was pointing to a site, after the second time I just gave up. Other domains have been fine so far though.

Thanked by 2Ympker kkrajk
  • @MasonR said:
    Have a few free domains with them, but certainly not using their dns. Switch everything over to cloudflare once the domain is mine.

Did have one issue with them taking back a domain for inactivity even though it was pointing to a site, after the second time I just gave up. Other domains have been fine so far though.

Thanks for the feedback :P Ive got mostly free domains with them and one paid^^ So far no issues though^^

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • Looks like NS1/2 are not functioning (port 53 closed).

NS3/4 have port 53 open and they probably block ICMP which is why you don't get ping replies.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • TamerciagaTamerciaga Member, Host Rep

Do a good Google search about them, and you will know why you shouldn't use them for anything at all. I have been trying to contact them since months, no reply since then. Probably deadpooled.

• @Qarizma said:
    Do a good Google search about them, and you will know why you shouldn't use them for anything at all. I have been trying to contact them since months, no reply since then. Probably deadpooled.

Ive had only good experiences so far with them. Called them twice & got answered. Wrote a ticket. Got sorta fast reply.

• Good news, dicks.academy is available!

• They recently yanked 4 domains I have registered with them with no notice. They were all free, so I can't be too upset, but it's taking a little while to resolve. I've been going back and forth with support for well over a week now, who initially said:

Upon inspection, we have found that your domain name has been removed by one of our trusted security partners. Because we completely trust these companies and individuals (we wouldn't call them trusted partners if we didn't) and their reasons for removing domain names, we will not be able to restore the domain(s) to your account.

Seems like these "trusted partners" don't like domains that are just cnamed to other domains, which is all I do with these.

To their credit, they seem to have actually looked into it instead of just shit-canning someone who's only paying for 1 domain out of 5. I'm now going through a bit of domain ownership hoopla with them. I guess my only real complain is that I didn't know the domains had been terminated until I got a notice from Cloudflare that my nameservers had changed.

• @jrsmith said:
    They recently yanked 4 domains I have registered with them with no notice. They were all free, so I can't be too upset, but it's taking a little while to resolve. I've been going back and forth with support for well over a week now, who initially said:

Upon inspection, we have found that your domain name has been removed by one of our trusted security partners. Because we completely trust these companies and individuals (we wouldn't call them trusted partners if we didn't) and their reasons for removing domain names, we will not be able to restore the domain(s) to your account.

Seems like these "trusted partners" don't like domains that are just cnamed to other domains, which is all I do with these.

To their credit, they seem to have actually looked into it instead of just shit-canning someone who's only paying for 1 domain out of 5. I'm now going through a bit of domain ownership hoopla with them. I guess my only real complain is that I didn't know the domains had been terminated until I got a notice from Cloudflare that my nameservers had changed.

Didn't know they have trusted partners that can remove domains from other's account. Thank you for sharing.

That means no domain name in freedom can be considered safe.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited November 2017

@jrsmith said:
    They recently yanked 4 domains I have registered with them with no notice. They were all free, so I can't be too upset, but it's taking a little while to resolve. I've been going back and forth with support for well over a week now, who initially said:

They have certain rules for their free domains on their website which state the domain has to be acctually showing content.

http://www.freenom.com/en/termsandconditions.html

For free domains there is a content policy:
    http://www.freenom.com/en/dottk_contentpolicy_version21.pdf

http://www.freenom.com/en/ml_contentpolicy_combined_v0100.pdf

http://www.freenom.com/en/ga_contentpolicy_combined_v0100.pdf

http://www.freenom.com/en/cf_contentpolicy_combined_v0100.pdf

http://www.freenom.com/en/gq_contentpolicy_v0100.pdf

So it isn't all that surprising :P

• @Ympker said:
    They have certain rules for their free domains on their website which state the domain has to be acctually showing content.

As I said, they were all CNAMEd to my personal site, so they were showing content. Additionally, a couple of weeks after I registered these, I got an automated warning that they were in violation of that specific rule, which is what prompted the CNAME. They've been running happily in that state since February.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @jrsmith said:

@Ympker said:

As I said, they were all CNAMEd to my personal site, so they were showing content. Additionally, a couple of weeks after I registered these, I got an automated warning that they were in violation of that specific rule, which is what prompted the CNAME. They've been running happily in that state since February.

Ah didn't read that somehow my bad. 6:45 am here and Im still tired :P

Thanked by 1jrsmith
  • Ympker said: They have certain rules for their free domains on their website which state the domain has to be acctually showing content.

And I followed their rules exactly. But discovered that they also have an unwritten rule which is that you must use IPv4. If you use IPv6 only, they will nix your domain.

I've got a few with them that I've managed to hang on to though. I don't use their DNS. I have no idea if it's a good idea or not. All I know is that I managed to hang on to a couple of domains there and that they're sleeze bags. Also, did I say that they're sleeze bags?

Thanked by 2Ympker uptime
  • Have been using them for a long time and loving them. Just that their website information is outdated.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • It's more or less another case of you get what you paid for^^

• i83i83 Member
    edited November 2017

MasonR said: Did have one issue with them taking back a domain for inactivity even though it was pointing to a site, after the second time I just gave up. Other domains have been fine so far though.

Ole_Juul said: I followed their rules exactly. But discovered that they also have an unwritten rule which is that you must use IPv4. If you use IPv6 only, they will nix your domain.

Had a few customers see the same issue on domains pointed to NAT services.

@jrsmith said:

Maybe they finally started wising up to more technical configurations and allow CNAMES, didn't used to be sufficent a few years ago but that was back in DotTK days before the rebrand to Freenom.

• @i83 said:
    Maybe they finally started wising up to more technical configurations and allow CNAMES, didn't used to be sufficent a few years ago but that was back in DotTK days before the rebrand to Freenom.

I think their crawler probably does support it, since that's how i fixed the no content issue in February. Could be that a bug was introduced recently, I don't know. I never got a specific reason for the termination.