Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simple Document Management
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Simple Document Management

jcalebjcaleb Member
edited April 2013 in General

Hi, guys. Do you have suggestion for a open source document management? Java or PHP preferably.

I am only familiar with Alfresco, but it seems bloated. Features I need:

• tree like directory structure and upload files
  • versioning of files
  • groups and permissions. certain user groups can't view certain folders (e.g. Staff cant read Confidential files).
  • Must have downloadable copy that I can install in a LAN with no internet. Meaning I don't want free hosted service such as google drive, but installable app.

Thank you

Comments

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited April 2013

Um... well...

Wouldn't AjaXplorer fit your needs?

There's also possibility of Tonido.

Although I don't quite recall either of them supporting versioning (don't know how important this is to you)...

• I cant find versioning in ajaxplorer, and user group permission. both are very important for me, as I will use to run an office with around 20 people.

• Ahh, well I"ll continue looking around here and there but that was the best I had at the moment.

Possibly just using trac or some of the other project collaboration suites?

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited April 2013

Trac is a bit technical, users are non-technical. Good idea with project collaboration suite. I'll check some software out =)

I wish I can just do an SVN server, and hopefully there is some nice GUI for it that ordinary people can understand using. SVN has versioning and access restrictions.

• sarcasm Why not just use GitHub.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited April 2013

I have installed a gitlab, but only for myself so I can host my code and view it anywhere I go.

Git is tricky. I remember the first time I used it in a company I just joined in the past. I thought I could just hack my way through without someone explaining, or read online docs. I thought it was just similar to CVS or SVN, but just faster.

• Nuxeo, sensenet, epiware, twiki, letdoms are the next best alternatives

• thanks peppr, will check them

• tommytommy Member

owncloud :) it's not that simple. group share/diffrerent permission, versioning , etc

• thanks tommy. really they have permission and versioning?

• tommytommy Member

yes, I've test both and just work.