Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How low can you go
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How low can you go

drmikedrmike Member
edited September 2011 in General

We have a max memory thread. How about a min memory thread?

I just have my 256 meg Quickweb although I'm sure folks can beat that.

Comments

• i have a 64mb box that i use just for the occasional ssh tunnel, nothing else thoguh

• My lowest mem box is the Xen 96 MB from XenVZ

• 64 MB running vpn and znc.

• Basil2Basil2 Member
    edited September 2011

Use my 64MB lenny box to host a couple of static pages and an image gallery.
    Previously used it for email as well but have since moved to google apps.

26MB use is about average for me on 64bit debian with another 14 for buffer/cache

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited September 2011

I had php, mysql and nginx running on a 16mb OpenVZ VPS until my test server started to kernel panic after a kernel update. It did use about 5mb swap.

• Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited September 2011

64mb (hostigation backup vps) running nginx, uptimed, znc & fail2ban (they use around 35mb)

• 64mb from hostigation I only use about 36 MB memory

• debian, lighty+php5-cgi+sqlite+gd, maradns consuming 24 MB and hosting all my (static/dynamic) stuff I need and serving my domains via dns.

• kristalkristal Banned
    edited September 2011

32mb remote access on a bot for a game.
    funny thing is there r 2 sticks of 16 :-)
    ancient lol
    base linux itself is 3,75mb
    hmm.... bot uses 12mb i wonder if i could run it on 1 stick of 16 that would be epic lol

• Hmm, the post is about your most low memory VPS, and not you memory usage...

• 128mb

• yeah thats what i mean, remote access = vps sort of hello ?

• 32mb Box.

Just for testing.

• 64MB KVM from Carstensz Pyramid Server :)

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

128mb SimplexWebs Xen Box. I've used a 32Mb local Vmware box too.

• lots of 128MB year deals. nothing special for this forum.

• 100mb xen from quality servers, been testing the low end script on it, but not sure what I'm going to do with it yet :)

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited September 2011

Depends on what use as 32mb RAM can work for a rsync only box, a proxy only as well can work with very small RAM. For hosting a website Nginx can work with less than 10mb so I guess 32mb RAM can be the way to go for some.

But I prefer to get deals with sufficient RAM in case I change the use of VPS or migrate (happens a lot) and so I wouldn't need to pay 3x or 4x the price of my microscopic plan just to get the additional RAM when I need. Hence I try getting plans with higher RAM from the start even if I don't use 20% of the RAM, not saying it's the absolute correct way to go but it just suits me.

• Go59954 said: But I prefer to get deals with sufficient RAM in case I change the use of VPS or migrate

Go59954 said: Hence I try getting plans with higher RAM from the start even if I don't use 20% of the RAM

That's a good point

• 80MB Xen VPS running LowEndBox.com is the lowest I currently have, and as I've said it's already struggling with the load. Used to run Linux on 4MB 486's but those were the days...

• LowEndAdmin said: 80MB Xen VPS running LowEndBox.com

Hard to believe this site actually runs off 80MB, that's impressive.

• kiloserve said: Hard to believe this site actually runs off 80MB, that's impressive.

LowEndBox, this is LowEndTalk and if I recall, has a bit more horsepower.

• Yes it has, but then I have run both v2 (Django/OSQA) and v3 (PHP/Vanilla) on the same server. It does give me a nice headroom though. Like what @Go59954 has said, sometimes it is nice to have a bit more room so you can use memory to buy some more efficient solutions.

• SurmountedNETSurmountedNET Member
    edited September 2011

I've provisioned myself a 128MB Xen VPS for some testing/learning Nginx. Currently running CentOS 5.x and Nginx but with a single domain setup/pointing to it. Need to do some more tweaking to see how low I can get it to go.

• 96mb with SecureDragon with some personal websites. It's been awesome.

64mb backup VPS with Hostigation as a secondary rsync box. Equally splendiferous.

I'd like to get another 64mb box for a new project but they're hard to find. I could use the Hostigation box but I think it's against the terms for anything but backups. Maybe I'll have to ask SecureDragon for a downgrade :)

• Hostigation 64mb backup VPS with Debian Squeeze, rsync, mySQL, munin server/client, thttpd, OpenSSH, cron and proFTPd idling at about 40mb of RAM. I also use it as a proxy server to grab web sites (YouTube, FaceBook, etc.) and personal email that my uptight employer would otherwise deny me.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

How low would you go? If somebody wants a sub-32MB OpenVZ VPS for testing let me know and I'll setup a free VPS for the person with the lowest (realistic) RAM request. If you want to run an actual website off of it you can keep it. ;)

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited September 2011

2 of my DNS servers are using 20mb ram, only needing more when running yum.

• NickMNickM Member
    edited September 2011

KuJoe said: How low would you go? If somebody wants a sub-32MB OpenVZ VPS for testing let me know and I'll setup a free VPS for the person with the lowest (realistic) RAM request. If you want to run an actual website off of it you can keep it. ;)

I'd be willing to try a static site with only 8MB, but I'll probably need more to start out with, at least to install stuff.

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited September 2011

I'd love to see a community project start right here. I'm already impressed by what has been mentioned here.

So we have all kinds of talented developers that could literally build the ultimate lowendbox. All we need are a few respectable members (that won't trash the box) and someone like @KuJoe to set it up.

However, it won't do any good without something to show the world so every member needs to record a screencast of their changes and post it. Don't worry, there is free screencast software for every OS.