Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a NAT or dedicated IP OpenVZ UK VPS for watching BBC.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a NAT or dedicated IP OpenVZ UK VPS for watching BBC.

qzhangqzhang Member
edited November 2017 in Requests

Hi,

I am looking for a NAT or dedicated IP OpenVZ UK VPS for personal VPN usage, mainly for watching BBC iPlayer purposes. At the beginning I try lowendspirit, but they block orders from China. So I switch to the cloudxtiny but they charged a fee for enabling TAP/TUN. Therefore I post my searching here.

RAM = 128MB min,
Disk = not important,
Port Speed = not important,
Bandwidth = 500GB,
Virtualisation = openvz,
TAP/TUN = enabled,

Can anyone offer me something like that? price range would really appreciated. And also open for any suggestions. I am happy to pay annually and my budget limit is 10 USD per year.

Thanks!

Comments

• bersybersy Member
    edited November 2017

https://www.deepnetsolutions.com/openvz-vps.html CAD $13, which is equivalent to USD $10. BW is 250GB, but I thought, it'd be sufficient in this case, because LES UK box, you've just mentioned, comes with 200 GB BW only.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited November 2017

LES has 200GB if you can slow down on those box sets. (doesnt accept from China) As bersy said, GDBI has 250GB a few more box sets than LES.

We could do a KVM at $15/yr with 1TB bandwidth, a little bit over your price point. Unsure if Anthony has anything else,(again China) you may have to wait for black Friday.

Thanked by 1qzhang
  • bersybersy Member
    edited November 2017

vmhaus said: Unsure if Anthony has anything else,(again China) you may have to wait for black Friday.

I think he does, because LES UK location is operated by @AnthonySmith within my memory.

Thanked by 1qzhang
  • This was already mentioned on LES, but the transaction was declined. Perhaps OP can find a cheap BF deal in the next couple weeks.

Thanked by 2bersy qzhang
  • qzhangqzhang Member
    edited November 2017

Hi,

Thank you @bersy and @vmhaus. I will take @WSS's suggestion and wait to see the Black Friday offers.

Best regards,

• @qzhang said:
    mainly for watching BBC iPlayer purposes

About a year ago, BBC iPlayer started banning VPN and VPS access.

Thanked by 1qzhang
  • @dcamero said:

@qzhang said:
    mainly for watching BBC iPlayer purposes

About a year ago, BBC iPlayer started banning VPN and VPS access.

Thank you for the tips @dcamero. I believe they do so. But still some VPN or VPS will survive. I am trying to get one of those.

• You're better off without BBC and their mandatory fake laughs.

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Janevski said:
    You're better off without BBC and their mandatory fake laughs.

Haha

Thanked by 1maldovia
  • You can use cloudxtiny as a shadowsocks proxy and therefore no need to pay for TAP/TUN, just a suggestion
    If you like drop me a PM and I will let you use my Smart DNS proxy until you get a VPS

Thanked by 1qzhang
  • qzhangqzhang Member
    edited November 2017

@Rami said:
    You can use cloudxtiny as a shadowsocks proxy and therefore no need to pay for TAP/TUN, just a suggestion
    If you like drop me a PM and I will let you use my Smart DNS proxy until you get a VPS

Hi,

@Rami, thank you. I have considered the cloudxtiny VPS with the Shadowsocks. I am waiting for Black Friday to see if there are new excellent deals. With regards to the Smart DNS, I have PM you, thank you very much.

• john564john564 Member
    edited November 2017

Its hopeless, its China after all, not a normal Country. International internet is throttled on purpose.

But if you want cheap server and not blocked by BBC, install a raspberry pi in your family home in UK, then you get domestic IP.

For VPS, Last time I checked, digitalocean UK location worked ok for BBC iplayer

I used to have a slingbox to watch all the stations live, and they throttled the specific connection within hours.

You would be better using bittorrent, an Android TV box would be second choice.

• Hi @john564,

Thank you for the tips. I am thinking about order the openvz VPS from Cloudxtiny and install it with the ShadowSocks. In regard to the raspberry pi, I don't have one. But I do have a openwrt router running openvpn server, and planning to place my openwrt router at my friend's home in UK, to see if it will work.

Best regards,

• I very much doubt that OpenVPN will make it through the GFW.

• qzhangqzhang Member
    edited November 2017

I know. I will run shadowsocks server on it as well.

Thanked by 1i83
  • im8aim8a Member
    edited November 2017

Simply find a shadowsocks provider to help you unlock BBC. They probably can provide you with better price and save you time and hassle setting-up and maintaining the server.

@qzhang said:

I know. I will run shadowsocks server on it as well.

Thanked by 1harikarki
  • Sorry for bumping an old thread -- can anyone confirm if LES is still not blocked by BBC iPlayer?

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited April 2018

@qzhang said:
    Hi,

I am looking for a NAT or dedicated IP OpenVZ UK VPS for personal VPN usage, mainly for watching BBC iPlayer purposes.

Thanks!

What do you watch on BBC? We the British people avoid it... [snip]

(mod edit - political talk is for the cest pit and nowhere else, thank you)