Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

APC PDU alternative?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

APC PDU alternative?

jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
edited November 2017 in General

Hello!

anybody can recommend some alternative to APC PDU's ?

We're looking for something similar like: AP8659EU3

But 1200 EUR is a bit expensive.

Comments

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

Just go with them. You really dont want to risk this important equipment in part of your server setup.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

We've had good luck with TrippLite so far.

Thanked by 3WSS jmginer juink
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@ExpertVM said:
    Just go with them. You really dont want to risk this important equipment in part of your server setup.

Agreed. This is critical equipment to your business. If you want to cut the cost, don't cut there.

• @jmginer said:
    Hello!

anybody can recommend some alternative to APC PDU's ?

We're looking for something similar like: AP8659EU3

But 1200 EUR is a bit expensive.

Stick with them, don't look for any other alternative.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Not to mention these things can last you years! They will outlive your servers and other equipment many years over.

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

APC is the only one that offers a quality product?

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • TuckerTucker Member
    edited November 2017

TrippLite if you absolutely cant afford APC (seek leasing options from your colos perhaps?)
    Highly suggest going with APC though.

jmginer said: APC is the only one that offers a quality product?

Baytech are also pretty solid. I've had APC and Baytech remote PDUs in service for over a decade and they still work perfectly!

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

ebay has some cheaper apc pieces

Jack said: eBay for APC kit?

Why would you buy a used piece of critical equipment? You don't know the history, could have been faulty and repaired to higher or lower standard? It's a bad idea.

Thanked by 1J1021

It’s still a critical piece of equipment. Dual feed does not eliminate the entire range of risks.

• I'd also advise against ebay for PDUs. I tried that route and bought some that would keep locking up and stop responding to commands.

@Clouvider said:
    It’s still a critical piece of equipment. Dual feed does not eliminate the entire range of risks.

I've had more failures in New equipment than used, interestingly. Not so much with apc, but Cisco, juniper, supermicro etc. All the used stuff we have are statistically more reliable.

• I've also had good luck with professionally refurbished APC units at a fraction of the cost. Being that they're well known and still have some basic QA, their products are not cheap.

There's always APCu, or Zend Cache. I'll be here all week, folks. Try the fish!

Thanked by 2Clouvider jh

WSS said: professionally

being the key here :P

• jhjh Member

I wouldn't recommend trying to save money on them either. Raritan might be worth a look.