Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IP Failover
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IP Failover

NeoNeo Banned
edited April 2013 in General

Hi,

Does someone offer here IP Failover between 2 vps servers?
I want to build a HA cloud.

Comments

• @Francisco was planning to offer it, no idea if the idea was implemented.

• NeoNeo Banned

Yeah i know BuyVM dosent support this.

• Just use Rage4 DNS?

• @HalfEatenPie said: Just use Rage4 DNS?

Yeah, was just going to suggest this. And then failover to different providers, not to the same provider.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@rds100 said: And then failover to different providers, not to the same provider.

That is a wise man, trust me :)

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited April 2013

@Maounique said: That is a wise man, trust me :)

Lies! That isn't a man at all! Its a service on the internet! horrible attempt at a sarcastic joke

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@rds100 said: @Francisco was planning to offer it, no idea if the idea was implemented.

It's a part of stallion 2.

It requires a lot of changes to support the billing side of it all as well which is what is going to take up most of the work. The IP locks and all that are already developed for KVM so I'd just have to generalize it to support OpenVZ.

Francisco

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It wont work for us, we have a lot of vlans, most only for a node. ARP storms can take down the whole network and that is something we cannot afford at all due to other sensitive services near-by. Better waste a few IPs here and there than risk something like that.

• You are looking for a provider with multiple locations and anycast ip adresses so that if one location is offline, the other anycast locations will respond to the same ip. I do not think you are gonna find many LEB companies providing anycast ips in multi-locations. I would look for a company that offer this, but it will likely be in the HEB range instead.

If you are talking about in the same DC, like one server crashed and you want to bring it up on another, this might be slightly more doable. However, once again, you need to find someone willing to do that, because like mentioned above it can cause arp storms if you are not careful.

Cheers!