Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how much would it cost me to get a single dedicated core?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

how much would it cost me to get a single dedicated core?

skirtTightskirtTight Member
edited April 2013 in General

Around 256mb ram, dont mind, barely 5gb worth of disk space.

inb4bitcoinsandstufflikethat
I`m not going any of that, fully legal.

Im curious because I dont want to get my instance canceled because of abuse.

Id use amazon but I need more cpu power.

I`m talking about 900+ passmark points per core.

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

bitcoin is no longer mined by cpu only, you need special rigs with inb4 video cards.

• @Maounique said: bitcoin is no longer mined by cpu only, you need special rigs with inb4 video cards.

Not trying to be rude or anything, but did you just skimp over my post and decided to just post?

Its not like I wouldnt know this.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2013

$39.99 seems to be the going rate around here. Granted you get more than one core ;)

My guess is the VPS providers who would let you have a dedicated core aren't going to make an offer less expensive than one of these L5420's running around. Maintaining a quality large node is expensive.

Edit: Also forgot about BlueVM's quarter servers. Definitely dedicated resources.

• @skirtTight: just buy a dedicated server

• We'll assign you a single core for $25/month on top of any plan.

• kalamkalam Member

@jarland said: Also forgot about BlueVM's quarter servers. Definitely dedicated resources.

That's what I'd probably do if I needed dedicated resources but not a dedicated server.

• @jarland said: My guess is the VPS providers who would let you have a dedicated core aren't going to make an offer less expensive than one of these L5420's running around. Maintaining a quality large node is expensive.

Tell me more, where could I find these L5420`s around?

• @kalam said: That's what I'd probably do if I needed dedicated resources but not a dedicated server.

They're currently out of this plans (to my knowledge).

@skirtTight said: Tell me more, where could I find these L5420`s around?

Hit up @qps in a private message. These things are amazing. BlueVM sells them in 4 pieces as quarter servers as well. I'll message you with some cool output from one of these QuickPacket ones.

• @jarland said: Hit up @qps in a private message. These things are amazing. BlueVM sells them in 4 pieces as quarter servers as well. I'll message you with some cool output from one of these QuickPacket ones.

Jarland you`ve given me so much.
    Would you marry me?

If only I could kiss over standard tcp/ip

@skirtTight said: Would you marry me?

If you'll break the news to my wife.

• @skirtTight said: If only I could kiss over standard tcp/ip

Kinky. Jarland has a fan club!

• @HalfEatenPie said: Kinky. Jarland has a fan club!

You too girl, I actually enjoyed staying at catalyst host.

• @skirtTight said: Around 256mb ram, dont mind, barely 5gb worth of disk space.

inb4bitcoinsandstufflikethat

Im curious because I dont want to get my instance canceled because of abuse.

Id use amazon but I need more cpu power.

I`m talking about 900+ passmark points per core.

If you can afford a dedicated server I'd suggest going with it, you will truly have dedicated resources overall ;p

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Hetzner can have something like that, they auction the odd hardware, I saw 8 core opterons for like 50 $, that will definitely do, but even quadcore phenom at much lower prices will do, probably.
    I did read your post, but frankly was not easy to read, I am too old for this 1337 talk.
    Bitcoin is legal also, at least for now, paypal and others might not like it if it keeps growing.

• $19-29 kimsufi

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2013

We have some Core 2 Quad Q9550 servers available in Atlanta for $39.99, if you're interested. Our LEB promotion (Dual L5420) will be back around April 15.

• We can offer an dedicated core from an [email protected] (unix bench around 1100 points per core) for 20€ with raid10, ECC RAM,...older nodes :)

• IshaqIshaq Member

Dedicated servers will be your best bet.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@skirtTight said: inb4bitcoinsandstufflikethat

Bitcoin mining is legal.

• @joepie91 said: Bitcoin mining is legal.

ONLY when not explicitly forbidden by contract.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited April 2013
  • @joepie91 said: Bitcoin mining is legal.

Never said it wasnt, it was just a different sentence trying to clarify that Im not doing anything shady.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Rallias said: ONLY when not explicitly forbidden by contract.

In most of the world, a clause in a contract that prohibits Bitcoin mining doesn't make mining illegal, just a breach of contract. In the US there's the CFAA, but that's a stretch, and it's very questionable whether mining against contract would fall under that.

• NightNight Member

@skirtTight said: Never said it wasnt, it was just a different sentence trying to clarify that Im not doing anything shady.

Why do you use a grave accent ( ` ) instead of an apostrophe ( ' )? Just curious is all..

• @Night said: Why do you use a grave accent ( ` ) instead of an apostrophe ( ' )? Just curious is all..

Because I`m on a spanish keyboard :/

And turns out I found where the ' is located as I was typing this line.