Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Frantech hosting LEB rip-off? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Frantech hosting LEB rip-off?

2»

Comments

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited April 2013

@Kairus said: Like he even cares. Well maybe if it messes with his LEB income..

@Chief will probably start caring the same day as @zhuanyi starts his LEB company :P

• @zhuanyi said: I would assume scraping copyrighted materials is something wrong.

You don't assume correctly. First, it is not scrapping, it is web syndicated content publishing (RSS). This format was defined exactly to do that: publish your content on other websites. I know some people debated it, there was a couple of judgements. But IMHO, anything published as a public RSS feed is exactly that: republisheable public content. If you're unhappy with that, use another format, limit the access (for example availability only to members) or the content.
    Second, DMCA (or similar) exists for a reason, no host should do anything without it. After all, maybe there is an agreement, or maybe "Chief" is happy with the backlinks and the traffic "he" gets from this website.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@hostingwizard_net said: But IMHO, anything published as a public RSS feed is exactly that: republisheable public content

+1 if you don't want your content syndicated then do something about it, so as I have said he probably does not mind.

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited April 2013

A note to the LEA... If that site ever tries to make money by scraping your copyrighted content and delivering ads or collecting commissions, you can notify the ad/commission company which should cut them off. If they fail to shut down the ads/commissions, they would be knowingly participating in fraud at that point which has much more serious teeth behind it than copyright infringement, and any company who pays publishers will never financially support a site that could cause them to lose their entire business through lawsuits (directed at the ad/commission company plus at the companies in the ads). Also, the ad/commission company would communicate with the violator (and probably hold their funds) without you having to fight that battle with the offender who probably will not listen to you.

Just saying, in case it ever comes to that.

• Hmm, (lowend.info) practical but unethical. There's a slight Grey area between pirating and syndicating. I personally fetch the RSS from LEB, but never put it as the main course.