Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Investing in servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Investing in servers?

svensonsvenson Member
edited April 2013 in General

Good afternoon guys,
I'm a young person and I got about 1k € that I don't need.
I won't give it to anyone for free so don't ask :D
I'm living in Europe and I don't trust banks there.
Now my idea was to invest something of that in a company. Please don't make me offers or write me messages that I should invest in your company.
I'm just curious about this possibility. Is there such a possibility? If so, is it even that worth?

Comments

• @svenson said: 1k € that I don't need.

Donate it to me :)?

• @svenson said: I won't give it to anyone for free so don't ask :D

@curtisg said: Donate it to me :)?

And there's another person who doesn't read

• 1K EUR is not much. Invest it in some education / training if you can. "investing" it in a market you know almost nothing about means you will probably just waste it.

• svensonsvenson Member
    edited April 2013

I know 1k € is not much (Though for me it is).
    Perhaps there are some companies which are happy about such an investment.

• @HalfEatenPie said: And there's another person who doesn't read

I stopped reading after "1k".

• Keep it under your pillow for a rainy day, or put it in a bank that isn't EU based.

• there's plenty of providers who would happily take this sort of money, when you break it down, it's one servers rent for four months, or it could be a node ready to be colocated.

Or, it could be that new website?

If you're looking to get this sort of money back, then I'd suggest putting it into a tax-free ISA, I'm not sure how it works over there, but here in the UK, nobody can touch it, it's a private savings account. Or, if the company you invest with continues their growth, you could start earning money as a percentage per month, somewhat of a shareholder.

I'd be able to tell you more about the legalities if I knew your age ;0!

Anyway, good luck with finding something to do with that cash.

-Chris.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Why exactly don't you trust the EU banks, when millions of others do?

I for example had concerns about my country's currency, so I keep my money in EURO's and dollars, but can't see why I should be concerned for keeping my money in a bank.

• What kind of return were you looking for?

• @svenson said: I'm a young person and I got about 1k € that I don't need.

Couple of ideas, you could buy a server and lease it to a host, as you earn more/collect payments you can grow the equipment that you lease.

You are going to take on risky borrowers/leases otherwise why would they need your money, money is cheap and easy for worthy borrowers right now

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: Why exactly don't you trust the EU banks, when millions of others do?

Maybe Cyprus and the dreaded deposit tax that was floated as an idea. If I was anyplace in the EU I would do whatever it took to keep minimal amounts in banks. The deposit insurance is now worthless as well if the ECB wants at your money.

• Oh yeah, I said a couple of ideas but only listed one, but lease servers from Dell/HP and re-lease to others unable to qualify and earn the spread

• bnmklbnmkl Member
    edited April 2013

What @miTgiB mentioned sounds more worth while for 1K. You would still have control. Legal costs, for handing money straight to a provider, would eat into that amount too much anyway ?

• I don't want to keep it under my pillow because one of my fears is inflation. To keep my money at home would make it worse than give it to the bank, where I get about 1,3% p.a. (wow!).
    1k isn't enough to buy properties or something else that keeps its value (I'm already an owner of gold).
    I don't want to risk to invest in bitcoins.
    So my idea was to invest into a company and they buy stuff with my money and give me a monthly interest. And I'm not a guy who buys a dedicated and resells it, so I can leave this aspect out.
    @eastonch My age is between 18 and 22 ;)

• So basically you want to offer loans?

Risky business, that.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2013

@svenson said: Good afternoon guys,

Now my idea was to invest something of that in a company. Please don't make me offers or write me messages that I should invest in your company.
    I'm just curious about this possibility. Is there such a possibility? If so, is it even that worth?

You're young and have no experience investing so putting your money into some hosting company is probably more risky than putting it into a bank anyway. You're right that 1.3% sucks (if that is what you can get for it now) but it's better than nothing (under your pillow) and potentially losing it (investing into a hosting company).

You're young; I suggest investing it into your education.

Edit: don't take financial advice on the Internet by the way. ;-)

• Invest in a nice car or take a trip somewhere you have never been and experience new things. Do not throw it away as a loan you hope to get paid back to you, you likely will not end up getting what you expect. Get the balls up to ask that cute chick you like out and take her on a date she (and you) won't soon forget.

Now if you had 10x that amount and were a serious investor, then I would suggest investing. For now do not let the money burn a hole in your pocket and go enjoy yourself.

Cheers!

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Is it the first time you have that quantity of Money?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Alex_LiquidHost said: Why exactly don't you trust the EU banks, when millions of others do?

Mass opinion is not automatically right.

@svenson said: Good afternoon guys,

Split it up between buying Bitcoins, buying gold/silver, and some kind of practical item that you believe will hold its value over time.

• Could make a reasonable return in a short amount of time in bitcoin speculation. Could also spectacularly lose it also, but :)

• So which country is this? Are you in the EU, or in the other part of Europe?
    Frankly with the way i see the EU heading in the next years, investing in guns and ammo would seem like a smart move. No idea if this is legal in your country.

• Frankly with the way i see the EU heading in the next years, investing in guns and ammo would seem like a smart move. No idea if this is legal in your country.

That has just made my day.

• Buy silver. 1K can probably get you a bit of silver and the value will appreciate.

• The EU is kinda headed for a reckoning from what we read over here. Some countries talking about pulling out and moving to their own currency. Wish I could remember the article I just read about a weak ago.

• @24khost said: The EU is kinda headed for a reckoning from what we read over here.

Japan just fired up the printing presses in an announcement last week.

• @24khost said: Some countries talking about pulling out and moving to their own currency.

I in the first instance think it would not be a good idea, anyhow don't know about a particular country(s) but not good for global economy, atleast.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

@miTgiB said: Japan just fired up the printing presses in an announcement last week.

Are they leaving the Euro??? :o

• krokro Member

Russia told its people to pull monies out western banking systems the other week too I believe

• If you don't have enough experience about investment, commodities still a good choice to invest.
    Some commodities like gold bar and silver bar have a stable price movement even there are wars everywhere.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited April 2013

@Oliver said: Are they leaving the Euro??? :o

I'm not sure what @miTgiB was referring to but Japan's not in Europe (obviously) and doesn't use the Euro.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_yen