Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Strasbourg Power Failure - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Strasbourg Power Failure

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2017

@atheros said:

rm_ said: Their website said, I quote: "generators did not start"

Sounds like something you would write on a tombstone :)

Clouvider said: How can generators not start ?

My friend once had a power outage in the lab he's managing, the power generator cough fire while starting. So I guess it's possible.

If One generator took fire, that would be +1, he should still have his ‘N’ to keep the load.

There’s nothing about fire at OVH so it’s completely irrelevant. As per Oles we’re talking simple ‘aaaarrrggg my both feeds from public are down’ Scenario, for which your generators are for.

• @exception0x876 said:
    In case anyone wonders why his server is down - http://travaux.ovh.net/?do=details&id=28240

You just saved me opening a ticket :P

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • Even there status page is down. Would be nice if it was hosted at another ISP.

• my server in RBX2 & RBX4 down too

• 2 servers in RBX down here

• Clouvider said: How you can loose power to the entire Datacentre ? They have one feed only ? If so, then wow.

@Clouvider said: When was the latest generators run then ? They don’t test it ? Seems unlikely.

You seem to be more outraged than the actual users of the service. Found another opportunity to take potshots at others :P ?

• Lol a bunch of my stuff in RBX is down too, what the fuck.

• RBX down here..

• Setsura said: what the fuck.

Seems like problem on their fiber network. They are going to have a great day. And customers leaving. (But I guess you get what you pay for)

@Clouvider any refugee offer? ;-)

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited November 2017

@datanoise said:
    (But I guess you get what you pay for)

I give them well over 500EUR in total, couple of the servers are 100EUR+ models I think I'm at least a little entitled to complain. Then again, they're generally fine, not like I'm gonna go and cry for a refund now.

• HostBasticHostBastic Member, Host Rep

At first it was only our Game servers that got affected in Strasbourg, now all of our servers in Strasbourg are offline.

• From oles'twitter:

SBG: ERDF is trying to find out the default. 2 separated 20kV lines are down. We are trying to restart 2 generators A+B for SBG1/SG4. 2 others generators A+B work in SBG2. 1 routing room is in SBG1, the second in SBG2. Both are down.

• Setsura said: I give them well over 500EUR in total, couple of the servers are 100EUR+ models I think I'm at least a little entitled to complain.

depends on the SLA you signed with them...

public cloud in GRA and dedis in RBX up (for now), though can't login and therefore don't know/remember which DC exactly. SYS in SBG all down.

• Setsura said: I think I'm at least a little entitled to complain

Agreed on that no problem. And shit happens it's possible that they just had bad luck. But there seem to be many angry customers. Time for them to learn how to set up redundancy / automated failover for important stuff I guess.

@datanoise said:

Setsura said: what the fuck.

Seems like problem on their fiber network. They are going to have a great day. And customers leaving. (But I guess you get what you pay for)

@Clouvider any refugee offer? ;-)

I’m assuming they lost some connectivity that was operated from affected DCs.

Nothing as of yet, we’re always happy do to square deals no matter if OVH is down or not.

Thanked by 1datanoise

@dynamo said:

Clouvider said: How you can loose power to the entire Datacentre ? They have one feed only ? If so, then wow.

@Clouvider said: When was the latest generators run then ? They don’t test it ? Seems unlikely.

You seem to be more outraged than the actual users of the service. Found another opportunity to take potshots at others :P ?

Yeah, I don’t tolerate fuck ups. They wind me up. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Thanked by 1JackH
  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited November 2017

@Falzo said:

Setsura said: I give them well over 500EUR in total, couple of the servers are 100EUR+ models I think I'm at least a little entitled to complain.

Guess I'll need to check mine after to see just how entitled I really am, I never needed it before.

public cloud in GRA and dedis in RBX up (for now), though can't login and therefore don't know/remember which DC exactly. SYS in SBG all down.

Your RBX dedis are up? Mine aren't as far as I can tell.

@datanoise said:
    Agreed on that no problem. And shit happens it's possible that they just had bad luck. But there seem to be many angry customers. Time for them to learn how to set up redundancy / automated failover for important stuff I guess.

They're usually pretty good, surprising that they let almost all their stuff go down like this.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • mlimli Member
    edited November 2017

Octave tweets:

We have a general optical issue on all our optical network in Europe: all chassis in all POP shutdown all the links 100G simultaneous (!!). RBX SBG GRA LIM ERI are down. P19 WAW BHS are UP.

For what is worth, the burden of this screw up will fall on OVH engineers this weekend. I don’t envy them.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @Setsura said:

@Falzo said:

Setsura said: I give them well over 500EUR in total, couple of the servers are 100EUR+ models I think I'm at least a little entitled to complain.

Guess I'll need to check mine after to see just how entitled I really am, I never needed it before.

remember even if you have 99.9% average it'll result in 8h downtime (per year) to be no issue ;-)

Your RBX dedis are up? Mine aren't as far as I can tell.

maybe I memorised the location wrong and they are in Gravelines too...

@datanoise said:

They're usually pretty good, surprising that they let almost all their stuff go down like this.

I agree, Delimiter OVH probably thought of being prepared enough for power outages so that they went for running a lot of routing also for other locations through SBG with no ways around...

• Well fuck.

• @mli said:
    Octave tweets:

We have a general optical issue on all our optical network in Europe: all chassis in all POP shutdown all the links 100G simultaneous (!!). RBX SBG GRA LIM ERI are down. P19 WAW BHS are UP.

CISCO equipment using SNMP? g

• @Falzo said:
    remember even if you have 99.9% average it'll result in 8h downtime (per year) to be no issue ;-)

Yeah, I forgot what it was for the OVH main brand stuff, I feel like it was 99.95 or something, I'd check but their site is down. Of course they can put as many 9s as they want, doesn't actually mean they'll be up that much.

maybe I memorised the location wrong and they are in Gravelines too...

Seems likely, my stuff in GRA is fine.

• DikobrazDikobraz Member
    edited November 2017

almost 3 hours offline... anyone called OVH ? do they have any idea when they will fix it?

• @Dikobraz said:
    almost 3 hours offline... anyone called OVH ? do they have any idea when they will fix it?

RBX: all optical links 100G from RBX to TH2, GSW, LDN, BRU, FRA, AMS are down.

• Now that’s what I love to hear ^ /s

Thanked by 1joeri
  • Would be neat if there was even a vague ETA tbh

• DikobrazDikobraz Member
    edited November 2017

my server is on SBG-1.
    octave wrote that 1 gen was restarted but SBG still down so w t f ?.,

@DXD said:

RBX: all optical links 100G from RBX to TH2, GSW, LDN, BRU, FRA, AMS are down.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Apparently they have some centralized routing which is at RBX and since it went down, all went down.

I guess, this incident will give them lesson for being too lenient on power feed and failover .