Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Frantech hosting LEB rip-off?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Frantech hosting LEB rip-off?

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited April 2013 in General

I am pretty sure Frantech did not do this on purpose but it appears that the LEB rip-off site (lowend.info) is hosted on one of their servers:

http://www.who.is/whois/lowend.info

which traced the IP to http://www.who.is/whois-ip/ip-address/209.141.51.179

I think @Francisco and his gang should at least block the server?

It is amazing though, the guy didn't even attempt to hide his IP behind Cloudflare nor having his whois info hidden.

Comments

• SPSP Member

Doesn't look like he has any ads there, what is the point of that site?

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited April 2013

@zhuanyi said: I think @Francisco and his gang should at least block the server?

The site has not done anything to warrant a suspension.

@Sperryman said: Doesn't look like he has any ads there, what is the point of that site?

I am asking myself that question as well, Google also pushes these types of sites down the rankings.

• well might be a customer of them who hosted the website

and why should frantech block their site?
    they ain't illegal to host similar site though

• @Sperryman said: Doesn't look like he has any ads there, what is the point of that site?

Stick in his affiliated links? Although I have not found any yet.

I guess he probably want to build up the PR ranking first and get more visitors before stick in his own ads? No idea, but I am pretty sure he is not just being kind enough to host a mirror for LEB or anything...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Scraping LEB is someone's idea of fun

• So did you contact @Francisco and/or @Chief (lol) by private message before posting this?

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited April 2013

@zhuanyi said: I think @Francisco and his gang should at least block the server?

I see no reason for this. Not Francisco's business, but LET

• @MrAndroid said: The site has not done anything to warrant a suspension

I would assume LEB materials are all copyrighted by @Chief and his gang...so at least this is copyright infringement? :)

• look like the domain owner is fellow chinese
    @zhuanyi cheers =)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jcaleb said: I see no reason for this. Not Francisco's business, but LET

Exactly. The right thing for the OP to do was contact a moderator or @Chief here, not shout about Frantech. I'm sure if Frantech got a DMCA, they'd remove it.

• @jcaleb said: I see no reason for this. Not Francisco's business, but LET

True, but I think @Francisco would normally be someone who is happy to do the right thing for LEB/LET.

• Sorry, may be I am not using the right tone, but I am not criticizing @Francisco or anything (as stated in the first statement of my first post), but more to bring this to everyone's attention.

• @zhuanyi said: True, but I think @Francisco would normally be someone who is happy to do the right thing for LEB/LET.

If 'doing the right thing' for LET/LEB means suspending/terminating a client who has done nothing 'wrong' in terms of violating BuyVM TOS, then that would reflect VERY poorly on BuyVM.

I doubt anyone here actually browses that site anyway. There are a ton of sites that scrape data from other sites. =/

• @MannDude said: a client who has done nothing 'wrong' in terms of violating BuyVM TOS

I would assume scraping copyrighted materials is something wrong.

@Jack said: You might as well tag @Aldryic as Francisco will be asleep as it's still early over there.

It was 10:20 AM here in @Francisco's time zone when you posted that :-)

• @Aldryic and @Francisco were already aware of this in the two topics I posted previously

• @ShardHost said: @Aldryic and @Francisco were already aware of this in the two topics I posted previously

Don't think it was hosted on their servers back then? It was hosted with VD at one point from what I can tell right?

@zhuanyi said: I would assume scraping copyrighted materials is something wrong.

Why assume when you can read...

https://my.frantech.ca/aup.php

Most providers do not go and scan what's hosted on sites - the mechanism is that someone has to complain or file a DMCA.

• go http://lowend.info/about.html
    check email
    send command who && uptime && rm -rf / && shutdown -h

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I am not sure I see the problem, a bit of competition is bad/wrong now?

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2013

@AnthonySmith said: I am not sure I see the problem, a bit of competition is bad/wrong now?

It's not competiton, it's a direct rip. But it's been around for a long time.

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited April 2013

@AnthonySmith said: I am not sure I see the problem

click more in any of their posts and it comes to LEB. scrapping incomplete... pictures are hotlinked as well ;)) seems leb is testing new design ;)

• IMHO as long as @Chief doesn't complain directly to the hoster the site should stay.

I wonder how @zhuanyi will handle situations like this with the VPS hosting company he's starting any day now.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Ah sorry, I see.

A million things could be done to stop all the rippers and feeders obviously boss man does not care so neither should we.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: IMHO as long as @Chief doesn't complain directly to the hoster the site should stay.

Like he even cares. Well maybe if it messes with his LEB income..

• @raindog308 said: I wonder how @zhuanyi will handle situations like this with the VPS hosting company he's starting any day now.

If I don't know, then I can't do anything, if I know, I will cut it off and refund him.

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited April 2013

@Jack said: Year 2020?

Sooner than that. :) I just paid a designer last week to get the design set up. TOS/AUP/Privacy Policy has been supplied to me via the TOSGen someone has mentioned to me before. So we should be good to go once the site is up and set up properly. I will message @Chief once all the prep work are done.

EDIT: Designer just got back to me with the logo design :)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@raindog308 said: It was 10:20 AM here in @Francisco's time zone when you posted that :-)

I work graveyard for the company so I usually don't get up till 1PM :) I was up late coding last night so I just got up about 10 minutes ago.

As far as I know Chief blocked the IP's of a ton of scraping sites so at this point the guy is likely doing the work by hand.

I can't do much with the case since LEB provides an RSS that anyone can automate to mirror the data.

I know LEA had an issue with a bunch of people doing this to him and the best he did was just limit the amount of text the RSS sent to users, instead of being the complete article.

Francisco