Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I hate to say this but.. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I hate to say this but..

Comments

• That isn't how that works. College takes more time than high school does. Nobody is going to hold your hand or tell you what you need to do. You need to do everything yourself outside of class hours. For every credit hour, you should spend 2 hours a week reviewing the content for the week.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@svenson said: I suggest you to finish school first.

You should know that education is one of the most important things.
    I think it's great that you are so young and interested in these things (I'm young too).
    But please take my advice seriously and only concentrate on school. After you finished your school you can do what you what but I think that it is not such a good idea to run a profitable company when you are still in college.

While I don't think it's a good idea for @dominicl to get back into business right now, I do have to point out that school and education are not the same thing. "Going to school" is not the only way to educate yourself, and often actually a worse method than self-education.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

Hi,

@jhadley said: You'll be reselling reseller accounts? Why not just buy a VPS? Seems like the smart place to start is with a reasonably priced VPS with cPanel. At least this way the clients are actually yours and should you make enough money, you can move them.

I was considering getting a master reseller account (most reseller accounts now are master reseller) so that I could sell reseller accounts myself. I have also considered getting a VPS with cPanel but I'm not sure which way I'm going to go at the moment. 24/7 end user support is available with reseller accounts, but generally not VPS.

@ShardHost said: Considered getting a job with an established host?

I've already got one currently. I don't want to name at the moment.

Regards,
    Dominic

• jhjh Member

@DamienSB - by college he means what Americans call high school.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@dominicl said: I am not going to get a dedicated server until I am making a profit

Hold yourself to that, I mean it. Here's why...

@dominicl said: I would expect to be at the reselling stage for at least 1 year, to be on the safe side.

VPS and dedicated customers are often the type to know what they are doing. Not always, of course, but as a reseller you can't reach the ones that don't know what they're doing because you can't post your offers on LEB. There aren't enough on LET that will be interested, I promise. WHT is your new friend, and it's beyond the point of saturated.

Shared hosting is your best bet and you will need to develop relationships and work with people because you could post on WHT that you'll pay people $15 to sign up and you still won't get an order for shared hosting.

Maybe it won't play out that way, but if it does, don't move forward until you have sustainable income to support it.

@DamienSB said: That isn't how that works. College takes more time than high school does. Nobody is going to hold your hand or tell you what you need to do. You need to do everything yourself outside of class hours. For every credit hour, you should spend 2 hours a week reviewing the content for the week.

I understand this - and college is local to me by the way (about a 15 minute drive, max, in traffic!). However, if I have others on board this venture (as I've already had PM's..) then this can work.

@joepie91 said: While I don't think it's a good idea for @dominicl to get back into business right now, I do have to point out that school and education are not the same thing. "Going to school" is not the only way to educate yourself, and often actually a worse method than self-education.

Thanks for the input joepie :)

• jhjh Member

@dominicl said: I was considering getting a master reseller account (most reseller accounts now are master reseller) so that I could sell reseller accounts myself. I have also considered getting a VPS with cPanel but I'm not sure which way I'm going to go at the moment. 24/7 end user support is available with reseller accounts, but generally not VPS.

Get a VPS, trust me. A master reseller account is a bad idea.

As for the support, do it yourself. There won't be much of it.

• @jhadley said: by college he means what Americans call high school.

In that case, you still won't have enough time for both. If you can't do it full time; don't do it.

@jarland said: I promise. WHT is your new friend, and it's beyond the point of saturated.

I can't post on WHT as I am banned there. The WHT mods made a mistake (harsh but true), and they won't admit to it, so I've left it at that with them. They won't budge, at all. I don't want to explain the reason for the ban now as it's a long story - but they are wrong but won't admit to it.

@jarland said: Maybe it won't play out that way, but if it does, don't move forward until you have sustainable income to support it.

Understood and I won't move forward until I have a sustainable income to support the move :-)

@jhadley said: @DamienSB - by college he means what Americans call high school.

What he said.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@ShardHost said: Enjoy life and get an education. Then the world is your oyster. Running yourself into the ground with thin margins, high customer expectations and limited free time is not how you should be spending this period of your life.

Yep!

@jhadley said: Get a VPS, trust me. A master reseller account is a bad idea.

As for the support, do it yourself. There won't be much of it.

Certainly taken on board, thank you :-) I will consider that, as there won't be much support to be honest.

In that case, you still won't have enough time for both. If you can't do it full time; don't do it.

If there are other people on the team, then I don't think this is an issue. Others that I know have jobs and hosting companies, but have others to assist. Lots of LEB providers that I know of have jobs, but have other staff.

@joepie91 said: school and education are not the same thing

True story: I graduated with people who can't read. I'm not worried about them finding out that I'm talking about them, for obvious reasons.

• support123support123 Member
    edited April 2013

study and enjoy now . want to resell? welcome..

edited April 2013

@ftpit said: study and enjoy now ......

As above, I of course am going to study. I will be picking 1 or 2 people out of the guys who've contacted me to work alongside me and to take some of the "load" off, so I won't have as much to do.

edited April 2013

@jhadley said: Seems like the smart place to start is with a reasonably priced VPS with cPanel.

Btw for the record @dominicl, I'm with @jhadley on this. This way you start cheap and it's YOUR product. Sure you won't run the server, but look at the rest of us. We're all resellers of something. Even if it's just the space we shove the rack in. You get to secure and optimize it, you get to make it your own flavor of product. Catalyst Host started on a burstnet VPS and if anyone asks me tomorrow if that's true I'm telling them that @jarland is a lying sack of crap.

@jarland -

I will certainly be taking yours and James' comments on board and will definitely look into getting a VPS with cPanel. I've had lots of cPanel VPS's in the past - just need to find a provider that provides services that "just work".

• jhjh Member

@dominicl said: I will certainly be taking yours and James' comments on board and will definitely look into getting a VPS with cPanel. I've had lots of cPanel VPS's in the past - just need to find a provider that provides services that "just work"

For something that 'just works', consider something managed by the provider, and possibly Plesk instead of cPanel. Plesk gives similar functionality with fewer things that can go wrong.

If you want a quote, just let me know.

@jhadley said: For something that 'just works', consider something managed by the provider, and possibly Plesk instead of cPanel. Plesk gives similar functionality with fewer things that can go wrong.

If you want a quote, just let me know.

Hello,

Will email you.

Regards,
    Dominic

@jhadley said: Plesk gives similar functionality with fewer things that can go wrong.

I don't know about in 2013 but just FYI, we used Plesk in 2011 and my version of your statement would be "More things can go wrong and less you can do to fix them."

@jarland said: I don't know about in 2013 but just FYI, we used Plesk in 2011 and my version of your statement would be "More things can go wrong and less you can do to fix them."

I've never used Plesk but have used cPanel loads of times.

• @jhadley

It might be different in Guernsey but in the UK you have to fill in forms and have paperwork to back it up regardless of whether you actually pay the tax. Check that out and make sure you keep good records. I would invest in Sage Instant Accounts for about £100 so you have something to do your books in properly.

Why try and make accounting seem hard? I'm registered self employed and a simple excel spreadsheet works just fine! Keep your receipts, input everything you buy/pay for .. It's not rocket science.

@ghoulnet said: Why try and make accounting seem hard? I'm registered self employed and a simple excel spreadsheet works just fine! Keep your receipts, input everything you buy/pay for .. It's not rocket science.

Excel works fine, however, Sage/Quickbooks makes things easier ;)

• jhjh Member

@jarland said: I don't know about in 2013 but just FYI, we used Plesk in 2011 and my version of your statement would be "More things can go wrong and less you can do to fix them."

Plesk 11 is decent.

• jhjh Member

@ghoulnet said: Why try and make accounting seem hard? I'm registered self employed and a simple excel spreadsheet works just fine! Keep your receipts, input everything you buy/pay for .. It's not rocket science.

Just recommending a best practice. I'll openly admit that I use FreeAgent myself.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@jarland Also considering many shared clients demand cPanel and cPanel's support is top notch.

• We look forward to buying you out in a few months

• CoreyCorey Member

@Fliphost said: @jarland Also considering many shared clients demand cPanel and cPanel's support is top notch.

Yea cpanel could do all of his work for him :P

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@dominicl said: I know, and I know I said that I'm doing things differently last time but the planning that's happening for this one is much better, much, much better.

Sure, I do wish you the best. If you need any advice, guidance, etc. hit me up, you have me on Skype. I would hate to see you fail again (couldn't find a nice way to say it ;p). :-)

Hi,

@Fliphost said: @jarland Also considering many shared clients demand cPanel and cPanel's support is top notch.

I agree, cPanel's support is fantastic (although a little slow at times).

@Jack said: Best of luck Dom! Don't pack up this time if you start having issues/problems ask for help don't just think **** it and close.

Will certainly do so :) I won't create threads after 5 minutes either.

@Corey said: Yea cpanel could do all of his work for him :P

They could. Haha

@Infinity said: Sure, I do wish you the best. If you need any advice, guidance, etc. hit me up, you have me on Skype. I would hate to see you fail again (couldn't find a nice way to say it ;p). :-)

Certainly do have you on Skype ;) Thx.

@AstoundingHost said: We look forward to buying you out in a few months

Don't hold your hopes up high!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

So what exactly makes your VMs premium?