Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good connectivity to-from Asia region
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Good connectivity to-from Asia region

johnlth93johnlth93 Member
edited April 2013 in General

Hi, i would like to know the general info for this
Which location do provide good connectivity to-from Asia region

I heard San Jose are good for Asia and Buffalo is bad for Asia
What do you think? List me some location that good for Asia connectivity

*Edit: aside from Asia region itself (eg HK/SG/MY/Etc) obviously =)

Thanks =D

Comments

• Buffalo is on the completely opposite coast of United States, so unsurprising that it's "bad".

San Diego is a good location for Asia, too.

• Oneasiahost is great! but its on SG :D

• So i assume West Coast is the side that got good connection to Asia

(WIKIPEDIA) West Coast or Pacific Coast are terms for the westernmost coastal states of the United States, usually California, Oregon, and Washington. More specifically, the term refers to an area defined on the east by the Cascade Range, Sierra Nevada and Mojave Desert and on the west by the Pacific Ocean.

Generally speaking, those DC in West Coast suppose to provide a good connectivity to Asia right?

• @Ruchirablog said: Oneasiahost is great! but its on SG :D

Yea i do got 1 from them

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited April 2013

From what I heard, LA is quite good.

• @GIANT_CRAB said: From what I heard, LA is quite good.

Confirm this. I'm in VietNam and LA is Fastest ( In US )

• LA is usually the best location in US, for Asia users. And yes, West Coast locations are all good, and I personally feel UK not bad. (I'm in China mainland)

• @johnlth93 said: So i assume West Coast is the side that got good connection to Asia

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/97/Continental_models-Australia.gif

• Find providers with PCCW or NTT bandwidth in SJC/LA. Hint Quadranet Hint

• @AstroProfundis said: LA is usually the best location in US, for Asia users. And yes, West Coast locations are all good, and I personally feel UK not bad. (I'm in China mainland)

I never try any in UK yet, i will try one next time

• @Kenshin said: Find providers with PCCW or NTT bandwidth in SJC/LA. Hint Quadranet Hint

seem expensive, im looking for more of low end's

• @johnlth93 said: seem expensive, im looking for more of low end's

I remember that there's at least 1 LEB provider using Quadranet, can't remember who and can't vouch for their service either, but worth a look at.

• On the other hand, what exactly are you trying to do that you need Asia optimized but in US?

• johnlth93johnlth93 Member
    edited April 2013

@Kenshin said: I remember that there's at least 1 LEB provider using Quadranet, can't remember who and can't vouch for their service either, but worth a look at.

hmm, will look around then
    thanks =D

oh, btw are you OAH admin/staff?

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

West Coast area has one of the best connectivity to Asia. We have a few server there to serve our customers who need USA server :)

• @Kenshin i searched a bit on LEB, did you mean UGVPS?
    Well i am a vpn provider with most clients in asia region (my/sg)

• @johnlth93 said: oh, btw are you OAH admin/staff?

Yes I'm OAH's admin.

@johnlth93 said: i searched a bit on LEB, did you mean UGVPS?

Probably, I just remember seeing someone advertise services from Quadranet. Quadranet's network is solid if you're looking for good asia connectivity from USA, price, maybe not so if you compare with other providers in the west coast. Cheap and quality rarely go together.

@johnlth93 said: Well i am a vpn provider with most clients in asia region (my/sg)

Asia bandwidth is expensive, the most cost effective solution is simply US west coast where you have plenty of providers with high bandwidth and low costs. Of course, it comes with 2 problems:

1) International bandwidth contention. All the users on the same ISP are fighting for international bandwidth. This happens in most Asian countries simply because there is more demand for US content than Asian content, only exceptions to this is Korea and Japan, China 50/50.

2) Hairpinning when your users access Asia content, or simply traffic moving Asia->USA->Asia. Double the latency, and possibly a huge slowdown in speeds.

Really depends on what your users are trying to do, if they just want to watch stuff that's limited to USA IPs, then west coast is your best bet due to pricing as well as latency/speeds. If the VPN is for day-to-day use, then you'll encounter problem (2) a lot with the VPN so geographically far from the user. If you're among the VPN providers that's offering "unlimited data transfer" on the VPN, then you probably want to just get the cheapest and highest traffic server in USA and don't think too much.

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited April 2013

@Kenshin said: there's at least 1 LEB provider using Quadranet

Hostigation and ChicagoVPS come to mind.

• johnlth93johnlth93 Member
    edited April 2013

@ihatetonyy said: @Kenshin said: there's at least 1 LEB provider using Quadranet

Hostigation and ChicagoVPS come to mind.

Hostigation LAX should be a good idea then

@Kenshin thanks for the explanation, i do understand that
    I am trying to make the best out of the the most affordable cost as a starting of my business

Quite lot of ppl suggested LA, so i am going to get one LA server and try it out. Never had a LA server before, all i got mostly are San Jose, Buffalo, Danver, Netherlands

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Australia CAN be OK depending on where in Asia you are, though right now it is bad because the cable between Perth and Singapore is damaged...

• @Oliver said: Australia

Malaysia mostly.
    Australia should be great, but rarely see LEB provider with that location though.

• bigcatbigcat Member
    edited April 2013

@johnlth93 said: but rarely see LEB provider with that location though.

I came across Vortex VPS while looking for VPS in Australia few days ago. But I think its a bit dodgy because the bandwidth is "too much" compared to other Australian provider.

Maybe you can subscribe to them and give feedback later on :)

• @johnlth93 said: I am trying to make the best out of the the most affordable cost as a starting of my business

End of the day, have a proper business plan. Identify who are your target audience, what are they willing to pay. Don't blindly buy the cheapest and hope the customers flock in, they might not stay for long if it's not what they want, then you get all the negative reviews.

@johnlth93 said: Quite lot of ppl suggested LA, so i am going to get one LA server and try it out. Never had a LA server before, all i got mostly are San Jose, Buffalo, Danver, Netherlands

LA or SJC are pretty much the same in terms of speed/latency, most Asia-US cables terminate at both areas. Prices however, vary so do your homework.

@johnlth93 said: Australia should be great, but rarely see LEB provider with that location though.

Ridiculously expensive bandwidth, @Oliver can vouch for this. Australia happens to have very limited bandwidth providers due to the number of undersea cables that go out from AU, plus one of the expensive one from Perth-SG is broken to make things worse. Add the fact that they have internal peering issues due to the main telcos wanting to make money from bandwidth, all adds up to added costs.

One more possibility is HK. Most malaysian ISP peer @ HKIX, so it's considered "local bandwidth" to most HK providers. You only use up international for the traffic towards US, since a lot of asian/AU ISPs also peer at HKIX. Pricing wise, that's where the hardworking part comes to play.

• @Kenshin said: One more possibility is HK

I planned to take some HK server from EDIS as soon as their HK become available again
    I searched for awhile about HK too (before this) but bandwidth/speed is kinda hard to match up.

• Los Angeles is generally the best for connectivity to/from Asia. One of the best data centers focused on US/Asia connectivity is QuadraNET LA like others have mentioned in this thread. We host servers there along with a few other providers on LEB.

• @matt_securedspeed said: We host servers there

make us an offer LET can't refuse

• where in Asia you from?

• I came across Vortex VPS while looking for VPS in Australia few days ago. But I think its a bit dodgy because the bandwidth is "too much" compared to other Australian provider.

Avoid at all costs

• @jcaleb said: where in Asia you from?

Malaysia/Singapore mostly

@DomainBop said: Avoid at all costs

haha, the bandwidth and prices look fishy anyway

• @DomainBop

Completely agreed. Stay away from Vortex VPS. I'm surprised customer credit card details haven't been used and abused yet.