Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Network Segmentation with OpenVZ and KVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Network Segmentation with OpenVZ and KVM

FRCoreyFRCorey Member
edited April 2013 in General

Has anyone done this, basically 1 vlan per /24? KVM seems to be a rather large pita, while OpenVZ you would just need an IP per vlan I assume.

Comments

• @FRCorey

We actually have all our /24 in Germany within the same VLan, we have yet to see any issues other than when two nodes accidently get the same IP and the IP switches between the VM's on either node.

• hm? We have every KVM in a location in one VLAN and use ebtables to filter by source, no issues at all except some broadcast traffic floating around.

• We do the same as @William. Vlan the node, ebtables the mac+ip

• I think I remember @miTgiB saying how he does this and he regrets it, but this was a while ago and I could be wrong

• I have LA on multiple VLANs and that too is a pain in the ass, but a single VLAN gets too much ARP storming.... I have not found my happy place yet

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@miTgiB said: I have LA on multiple VLANs and that too is a pain in the ass, but a single VLAN gets too much ARP storming.... I have not found my happy place yet

What does too much look like?

• twaintwain Member

Does Solusvm support tagged vlan bridging off one interface? Have done this with Proxmox works without issue.

• @Nick_A said: What does too much look like?

Put 20 modes on a single VLAN and you'll find out ;)

• @miTgiB said: Put 20 modes on a single VLAN and you'll find out ;)

Filter switch side and no problems...

• @William said: Filter switch side and no problems...

I did that on my old Dell 5324's and users reported issues :(

We don't all have rich investors pumping cash in

• @twain said: Does Solusvm support tagged vlan bridging off one interface? Have done this with Proxmox works without issue.

Create a tagged interface like eth0.xxx and add the interface to a bridge. Save the bridge in solusvm an it works.

We using a network segmentation for a cluster with vlans (vxlan testing..). Each cluster contains around 6 nodes and use one /24 subnet. Works fine here, no problems with broadcast traffic.

• krokro Member

Thanks for the great topic guys :)

• @miTgiB said: We don't all have rich investors pumping cash in

Even 130EUR / 24xGE Dlink switches can do that, you have the wrong HW and/or supplier ;-)