Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Problem With OVH ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any Problem With OVH ?

Rikimaru90Rikimaru90 Member
edited April 2013 in Reviews

Hi, I want to ask about OVH.
Some people out there always make a joke about OVH.
Did OVH really that bad? I need your review about them, I already have some dedicated servers in datashack and now I need to buy some cheap dedicated servers again (prefer in canada or europe).
My focus is about OVH dedicated servers, since they have a good price (I think).
Thanks for your review here, you'll help me (begging for review...) :D

Comments

• I haven't had problems with them for the price, but that is only because I have never had to contact support.

• lumaluma Member

OVH is great for certain things.

Support though is in fact horrible. If you need someone to hold your hand OVH is not the way to go.

They will fix bad hardware fairly quickly but don't ask anything else.

I have several servers with them (a few are over 2 years old) and I have not had any problem. The network uptime on most of them is 100%

• So it's all about their support which people worried about?
    Only hardware support maybe enough for me since I have some people to take care some of my servers.
    Any other reviews?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Never needed support, otherwise mine mKS 2G has been rock solid, no downtime at all in 6 months or so, it's chugging away every day without a care in the world.

• @Rikimaru90 said: So it's all about their support which people worried about?

Only hardware support maybe enough for me since I have some people to take care some of my servers.
    Any other reviews?

Boss @Maounique worry that they have 0 tolerance to abuse or something like that. cant remember. they dont warning, they kick you on first time i think.

• @luma said: Support though is in fact horrible. If you need someone to hold your hand OVH is not the way to go.

If you need someone to hold your hand, you shouldn't be getting a dedicated server in the first place :) Or you should hire a third party tu admin/support your server.

• 0 tolerance without notice and no "unsuspend" feature?
    Did they give any refund when it happened?

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited April 2013

@Rikimaru90 said: 0 tolerance without notice and no "unsuspend" feature?

Yes, I think even if by mistake by them. Not sure. Lets wait for M to explain further. My memory is bad.

But for backup maybe its okay because it is somehow hidden to public

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Rikimaru90 said: 0 tolerance without notice and no "unsuspend" feature?

Did they give any refund when it happened?

Not quite. They have, on occasion suspended clients for misuse after a single violation, but I don't think that's the case every time, sometimes they will throw the server into recovery mode and give you a chance to sort things out. Basically, you're having a bit of a gamble taking a service with them if you're doing anything you shouldn't, or you're a target for DDoS.

• othelloRobothelloRob Member, Host Rep

IMHO the 3 most import things about any provider of virtual/physical servers

• connectivity
    • network
    • support

OVH fail on 2 out of 3 for some requirements in my experience:

network can vary - one day you'll happily get 300Mb/s on your gig connection, another 1.8Mb/s

support - one of our clients asked about having larger disks in a cheap machine they have for backups have at ovh.ie (why .ie I dont know) and a few days later got a response that it had been done - great except they hadn't actually asked for it to be done, and the machine had been wiped so all 800GB of existing archives were permanently lost !

• I too was thinking to say some bad, certainly price is unbeatable but it has already been mentioned.

• @othelloRob said: great except they hadn't actually asked for it to be done, and the machine had been wiped so all 800GB of existing archives were permanently lost !

lol

• They've booted a friend of mine out for having inbound attacks

• Stay far away. They are just interested in your money, that is all.

If you fancy a read, check this out... http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/245231

• @Cameron, I've read it from the beginning... I really don't understand their staff behaviour in abuse...

Well, I think there are too much bad review in critical point.. :(

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2013

I never had a server with them (been denied a few years back when romanians were not allowed and never tried since), but I am doing odd jobs for friends that need my help with some servers and some were in OVH.
    I also contact support for them due to my french being above average and I can say this:
    1. They suspend and terminate you for reasons such as imaginary DDoS (there was nothing in logs to hint about that), possible attacks (scans, even tho it didnt look like it was compromised and the guy operating it had there only a small mail server and a web page while being a total noob with a good paying job...), in 2 out of three cases the decision is final, there is nobody at the other end that can reverse the decision made by their software.
    2. I found the network to be very good for the money, excellent in cases which is the reason I was interested in service from them.
    3. The hardware problems consisted in only one incident with a failed motherboard which was replaced in less than half a day, think about 10 hours, so that is good too (could have been quicker, but for that price you cant dream for more). Requests for upgrades, tho, in 2 occasions were flatly denied without a reasoning of any kind.
    4. From the above you see the support is bad, arrogant and without recourse, except hardware failures.
    While I do not recommend against them, if you do go with OVH, make sure you have at least a VPS somewhere to take over if there is some "antihack" problem or badass support strikes at you, with or without reason.
    If you only need it for off-site back-ups, make sure they are not the only place and keep your onsite back-ups current. Take one in your name and another in company's name to make sure they do not kill both in the same time. Do not take yearly deals.
    At that price you will not find anywhere so much storage with such a good network, excellent, at least in EU. Great back-up box, great for homebrew CDN, traffic is counted weirdly in your favour, so dont think it is little, it actually is about double.