Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What private cloud to choose? Help needed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What private cloud to choose? Help needed

MarshalCheMarshalChe Member
edited November 2017 in General

Hello everyone!
Please help me to choose cloud for build. Requirements:

• encryption. encryption and encryption. I read that some products keep keys on server and cost of this "ecnryprion" is zero
  • desktop application (like Dropbox) for Windows
  • free
  • scalable on multiply servers

Found article https://www.tecmint.com/free-open-source-cloud-storage-tools-for-linux/ but no time to test all these stuff ((
Thank you for yor advices.
Peace.
Edit: still don't know how to organize lists in topics, sorry for formating

Comments

• Hi, could I suggest trying a storage KVM VPS and install whichever distro you like best, and then in the partitioning step choose encrypted LVM. This means when you boot the server, you have to unlock the "drive" with your key. They key is not stored on the server so it's very secure. There is a tiny tiny chance that a highly motivated administrator could try to lift the key from memory, it's really not worth anyone's time. Believe me when I say your files aren't THAT important.

The reason I suggest KVM over OpenVZ is the simple fact that OpenVZ file systems are just a folder on the main server, the admin could snoop on your files extremely easily. KVM doesn't have that "flaw", and allows you to do much more.

Once you've got the KVM set up, install something like nextCloud which is a syncing/backup server with client apps for windows/mac/linux and mobile. nextCloud has server-side encryption which like you say, stores the key on the file system, but remember at this point it's encrypted by your LVM setup so it's incredibly hard to lift. Other alternatives would be syncthing (end to end encryption) and seafile (end to end encryption)

I hope that helps!

Thanked by 1MarshalChe
  • Thank you. You really helped. I read about storing the key on server about nextCloud exactly )) So hoped to find solution to install it on running servers, but your suggestion is very suitable for me (i can buy additional servers just for this task). BTW did you encounter with nextCloud scalability yourself? Is it easy to install and manage? Thank you, @dahartigan!

• PS "scalability" I mean multiply servers sync. Thank you.

• I'm glad I helped :) I myself haven't tried scaling it out but I know it can be done depending on your needs. If you want redundancy then you can setup mysql replication. If you want to scale storage then theres a few ways such as glusterfs but I have no experience with either of those but that should point you in the right direction :)

Thanked by 1MarshalChe
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@MarshalChe said:
    Edit: still don't know how to organize lists in topics, sorry for formating

Fixed for you. It’s Markdown so use a hyphen for each bullet.

Thanked by 1MarshalChe
  • Installing NextCloud is a breeze with our own scripts. Try it you will not be disappointed it takes less than 5 minutes. https://github.com/onbrella/app-installers/tree/master/nextcloud
    We also do installation and server management as well if you need it.
    Thanks
    Tim

• @ckeeper said:
    Installing NextCloud is a breeze with our own scripts. Try it you will not be disappointed it takes less than 5 minutes. https://github.com/onbrella/app-installers/tree/master/nextcloud
    We also do installation and server management as well if you need it.
    Thanks
    Tim

There are a couple of odd choices in that script, but it is certainly easier than the snap equivalent. After modifying the minimum hardware requirement this built happily on one of the Budgetnode storage beta boxes.

• Glad to hear that it worked out for you. We use the script with different cloud platforms during spawning an instance (nextcloud already installed) without any problem. But thanks for the feedback though.