Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Build mKS2G-like server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Build mKS2G-like server

tech163tech163 Member
edited April 2013 in General

How much would it cost to get a server like OVH's mKS2G? Are there any venders that sell these kind of low end servers? I'm not very confident putting together the pieces on my own.

Suggestions?

Comments

• WoopWoop Member

Not the exact same motherboard, but basically the same one they use, except this one has inbuilt power, so you just need a 12v power adaptor compared to a whole PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121710

OVH don't use cases, the mobo's go directly into racks. So basically just get that board, some ram and a HD and your good to go, you can probably build the whole thing for under $200?

• @woop they dont use cases? wtf LOL. what about on their high-end machines?

• @Jeffrey rather they use custom cases, for higher density and also water cooling for higher efficiency. There are videos on youtube.

• lumaluma Member

@Jeffrey said: @woop they dont use cases? wtf LOL. what about on their high-end machines?

Google does not use cases either. They use a piece of sheet metal for the bottom and part of one side. That is it!

• Ehh, i guess its easier to not use cases at all. I heard fdcservers uses boxes as cases. LOL wtf aha

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2013

@Jeffrey they don't have "usual" cases anywhere
    http://lafibre.info/datacenter/data-center-ovh-roubaix-1/
    http://lafibre.info/datacenter/data-center-ovh-roubaix-2/
    http://lafibre.info/datacenter/data-center-ovh-roubaix-3/
    http://lafibre.info/datacenter/data-center-ovh-roubaix-4/ <- this is the one with the 10EUR/mo Kimsufi
    it's basically just motherboards on shelves, with pipes going into everything from the centralized water cooling system.

• Smart cheap idea

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited April 2013

mmm all have a USB stick, what can be for?

• thanks @jkr1711

interesting!

• @jkr1711 people actually buy these USB keys?

• AmitzAmitz Member

@rds100 said: people actually buy these USB keys?

Rumor has it.

• @rds100 Guess some people might want to store copies of certain files on a USB stick should there be a drive failure? Who knows

• @jkr1711 yes, makes sense. I guess we should start offering these too.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2013

celeron processor is not designed for server or desktop as processor is very slow and pointless waste of money.

• I don't think they even give celeron any more. all my recent kimsufi servers are atom N2800

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2013

I still don't understand the point of ordering their USB stick, for the price they charge for it, you can easily have a small VPS somewhere else, and copy files remotely to it over rsync or some network FS.
    And for backup, USB stick in the same server is laughable anyway, a good backup should also ensure against the DC or OVH as a whole disappearing from the face of Earth. :)

• lbftlbft Member

@superpilesos said: I don't think they even give celeron any more. all my recent kimsufi servers are atom N2800

Celeron 220s still pop occasionally, along with Atom 230s and D425s with about the same performance.

celeron or atom are the worst processors which I have seen, very slow on desktop pc running ubuntu linux, as for server I think it will be the same effect.

• WoopWoop Member

@dedicados said: mmm all have a USB stick, what can be for?

I think the actual OS runs off the flash drive. They have big NAS on each rack where all the hard drives are installed so it uses less space and they can upgrade hard drive space without physically touching the server at all.

When I got my Kimsufi box, i downloaded some reasonably big files to the root system and then noticed I filled it up as the total space was like 8gb but the /var/ folder was 500gb, so I'm guessing that's how they set it up. Makes a lot of sense though.

• @WebProject said: celeron or atom are the worst processors which I have seen, very slow on desktop pc running ubuntu linux, as for server I think it will be the same effect.

they also cost shit-all to run and rent

• lumaluma Member

@WebProject said: celeron or atom are the worst processors which I have seen, very slow on desktop pc running ubuntu linux, as for server I think it will be the same effect.

You are an idiot. Simple.

• lumaluma Member
    edited April 2013

@Woop said: I think the actual OS runs off the flash drive. They have big NAS on each rack where all the hard drives are installed so it uses less space and they can upgrade hard drive space without physically touching the server at all.

The Kimsufi boxes each have a physical hdd (or 2 depending on model) they don't use a NAS/SAN for these.

When you reinstall your OS from the OVH panel you can select how your want your partitions. I use a few GB for swap and the rest to / with EXT4

• earlearl Member

@tech163 said: How much would it cost to get a server like OVH's mKS2G? Are there any venders that sell these kind of low end servers?

The Kimsufi N2800

@Jeffrey said:they dont use cases? wtf LOL. what about on their high-end machines?

It's called open computing facebook uses this too..

@rm_ said: I still don't understand the point of ordering their USB stick,

I ordered a 16GB USB key.. and I use it to store proxmox images and backups so when I reinstall proxmox I don;t have to manually download all the images over again.

it's been working great and for 1 euro /mo it's really nothing to complain about.. For fun I did install a CT on the USB key and the performance was horrible!!

dd if=/dev/zero of=iotest bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -fr iotest
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 364.062 seconds, 2.9 MB/s 
    edited April 2013

@luma said: You are an idiot. Simple.

I never went personal, only idiots are using Atom/Celeron processors nowadays ( especially for busy servers).

• ChanChan Member

@WebProject said: I never went personal, only idiots are using Atom/Celeron processors nowadays ( especially for busy servers).

Well why the hell would anyone pay $100 for a E3 if they're only going to use it as a backup or personal server?

• Atom is more than capable for a busy web-server

• My experience also says that a modern Atom is OK for a web server. It's not OK for movie encoding and such, but for a web server it works well.

@Chan said: Well why the hell would anyone pay $100 for a E3 if they're only going to use it as a backup or personal server?

for backup purpose much better to use system with raid as it will be more secure backup.

@ShardHost said: Atom is more than capable for a busy web-server

one website - yes agree, but not shared hosting.